Gonzaga Prediction AND Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Gonzaga Prediction AND Game Thread

Postby drbluejay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 am

Holy Cow, what is wrong with you so called fans? I saw a different game and a different coach than some of you so called fans.
Why all the negative comments after CU just kicked butt for 20 straight minutes at one of the hardest places to win at. It was awesome to see how the Jays can play. Khyri had an excellent game on defense as he held his man to 0 for 2 shooting. Khyri also shot 4 of 6 from 3 land but you only see the TO's. Sure we fell apart the 2nd half but I look at the bright side a bit more than the comments here today. Who do you think we are, Duke or Kentucky and can just roll into Spokane and destroy a national power on their home court. I see great things out of this team as I have in most of Mac's teams except the 2014-2015 team. I love this team and I love these freshmen even if they didn't bring their A game last night. Give these guys and coach's a break, as we have a very good team and a very good coach. This year is going to a very exciting one and fun to watch as they win plenty of games in the one of the toughest conferences in the nation. 90% of the nations teams envy what Creighton has and it's only going to get better.
PS; I'm hoping some of the ridiculous comments toward bad play and bad coaching last night came from anti Jays fans and not the true fans of Creighton.
drbluejay

Postby drbluejay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am

After watching last nights game, I feel better about this team than I did prior to last nights game. How can anyone feel any different than that?
drbluejay

Postby LJay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 am

So many assholes here.

Jays played a team that has lost 18 times in 215 games in their own gym and had the crowd totally out of the game for a large amount of the time. Their “Hegner/Harrell/Mintz” clones made everything they looked at during crucial periods while we shut down their stars. Kudos to them.

If you can’t see the progress of this program then please, do us a favor and go cheer for someone else. You can be disappointed with a loss when there was a good chance for a win but the continual slamming of the staff and players makes many here an oldenemy in my book.
75 - 65
LJay

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:25 am

LJay wrote:So many assholes here.

Jays played a team that has lost 18 times in 215 games in their own gym and had the crowd totally out of the game for a large amount of the time. Their “Hegner/Harrell/Mintz” clones made everything they looked at during crucial periods while we shut down their stars. Kudos to them.

If you can’t see the progress of this program then please, do us a favor and go cheer for someone else. You can be disappointed with a loss when there was a good chance for a win but the continual slamming of the staff and players makes many here an oldenemy in my book.

+1
Wizard of Westroads

Postby drbluejay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 am

Well said LJay
drbluejay

Postby KenoshaJay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 am

+1
KenoshaJay

Postby ICBluejays » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 am

One thing to consider is that when you play on the west coast, it takes some time to acclimate to the time change. The jays played from 9 to 11pm central time, while the Zags played from 7 to 9pm Pacific time.

The 2nd half fell apart in the first 5 minutes---too many TOs and too much one on one. Coach said we were supposed to penetrate and kick out, but we tried to get it to the rim over 2 large players. The first 5 minutes created significant momentum and the fans woke up. did you notice how the sound was remarkably greater in the 2nd half? that was due to the first 5 minutes. Coach might have been wise to take a time out earlier but the light switch turned on really quickly. And he chose to use the under 16 as his timeout. he might reconsider that in the future.
ICBluejays

Postby mredle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

FWIW
There are losses that you can lay at the feet of coaches and there are losses that you can lay blame at the feet of players. This was not a game that we can lay at the feet of the coaching staff. This loss was a result of players getting away from what the team needs to do to be successful. For example, we witnessed players going back in the second half to old habits, bad habits, rather than doing the things this team needs to be successful. For example, Marcus went back to bad shot selection rather than finding team mates when the shot wasn't there. Marcus wasn't alone in that regard and I only single him out because he is a senior and one of the leaders of this team so it comes with the territory and as good as his play was in the first half, it was as lacking in the second. That being said, this is also a very valuable game for this team to learn from. Here is what I mean. In the first half we punched Gonzaga in the face and had them on the ropes. As I recall Gonzaga made a small run to cut the deficit to less than 10 before half. We came out in the second half acting like we expected them to roll over and let us continue the assault. Teams don't get to national championship games by rolling over and playing dead. They came out like champions and punched us right in the face. They were resilient. We weren't. We forgot who we were and what we do. We panicked. This team needed to learn that against the really good teams, when you punch them in the face, they punch back. And if we want to be one of those really good teams, we have to learn that when they punch us back in the face, we can't be surprised, we have to expect it and be ready to match or exceed their intensity. When Doug was on the team their was a similar game (it might have been against San Diego State) where the same lesson had to be learned.

This was a valuable game for our freshmen who had played so well up until this point. This was the first game where they looked like freshmen. They learned what it is like to play against an elite culture. This was a game where we accomplished what our aims were at the outset. We shut down their two top scorers. Their complementary players responded, ours didn't. I am an unabashed fan of Ronnie Harrell. When Ronnie plays hard I think he is Creighton's answer to Inspector Gadget. But I remember a play in the second half where there was a loose ball at the Gonzaga end of the court. Two Gonzaga players dove after the ball without hesitation. Ronnie hesitated. Gonzaga ball. There was a lot of bad decision making by Jay's players in the second half. That's not on the coaches. We made good decisions in the first half. At half time Mac didn't go in to the locker room and say, "great job guys. Now in the second half let's go out there and screw the pooch!" In the first half when Gonzaga went to the zone (our so called Achilles heel) we attacked it with great effect. It was their man to man defense in the second half that hurt us. Did Mac decide to give the team mega-doses of an amnesiac at half time so they would forget how to counter a man to man defense?

We got schooled by a very good team. We now have a lot of lessons to learn, all of which will make us a very dangerous team come February and March.
mredle

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:46 am

Lots to reflect on with this game. I think we head into Big East play 10-2 even after this game. I was impressed with our play in the first half, we looked like the better team and there was much to be excited about. The second half was hard to watch and we really seemed out of sync and simply did not do the fundamentals we need to do like rebound and protect the ball and guard people. Hopefully we gained valuable experience and perform better in the games of the future. This team has talent...
PhoenixBluejay

Postby shadow » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:01 pm

I will only submit if CU does not find a more efficient point guard, they will not reach the promised land. Minz as it now stands
is simply not good enough. Kaleb was raved about all through the summer and practice. If it's only healing the hamstring I'm not concerned. He looked pretty good getting 12 a game ago. You don't start at Syracuse as a freshman unless you're the real deal.
Tyshawn could possibly be the answer(lots of upside), but Minz just isn't good enough for the upcoming competition IMHO.
shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops