Nebraska game thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Nebraska game thread

Postby hilltopalum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am

If we involve their bigs in pick and roll action it is tough to see them be able to keep up
hilltopalum

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:50 am

hilltopalum wrote:If we involve their bigs in pick and roll action it is tough to see them be able to keep up

agree - the big dude that got the Tech last night?

don't see how he can handle pick and roll and pick and pop from the three line.

Martin and Toby will eat him up out there
cujaysfan

Postby section202jay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Nothing makes me more nervous than Creighton vs. Nebraska week besides maybe a USMNT World Cup game, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that for several more years. Objectively, we should win handily. However, there will be a time and place when UNL just happens to be making shots. The game plan against them always seems to be to clog the lane and make them shoot.

Nebraska did look good last night, I'll give them that. However, this is the same team that didn't look like a D1 team against St John's.

We'll need another good game from the big guys. If not, it'll be close.

Jays 82
UNL 71
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Panhandle Jay wrote:Nebraska just did what they always do last night. They get a couple wins a year that look great, then they'll go on to lose to Rutgers, Penn State and Illinois.

Jays by 12-15 points on Saturday.

I'm not sure beating Minnesota in Lincoln is actually even a sign of a "great" win. Keep in mind that this same Minnesota team was outscored on its home floor by Alabama playing 3 on 5 a couple weeks ago. Pitino has lost every single game he's played against Nebraska in Lincoln. This isn't some really shocking performance that against a really great team. (and yeah, I know we supposedly lost the "scrimmage" up there in Minnesota -- but that means absolutely nothing in terms of actual game comparisons)

I always wander over to read their board before this game (don't post, just read) -- and they are convinced that their talent across the board is as good as Creighton's. Which is puzzling -- I don't think they've got someone on the Naismith list, returning first team all conference, one of the best defenders in the nation, etc. Their inside players have generally been pretty terrible all year. And one of their very best players is apparently Copeland -- who transferred after flaming out in the BIG EAST and never doing anything against Creighton.

Glynn Watson is solid. But even looking at last night's game, it's pretty clear that if you disrupt or slow him down then there is a HUGE drop off in performance. And even the next best performances for them all come FROM what Watson can do.

UCLA is much better than Nebraska. We beat UCLA on a neutral floor.
Baylor is much better than Nebraska. We controlled Baylor for most of the game on a neutral floor, and only lost because of an epically bad shooting night.
Gonzaga is much, much, much better than Nebraska. We outclassed them on their own floor for a half -- and no way Timmy Smiles makes some big adjustment at half in Omaha that causes us to flounder epically in the second half.

I know that DRock won't let the players take this game lightly at all, and they'll be focused in and ready to go. The leaders on the team have pride in never having come close to being touched by Nebraska. Our freshmen are already playing like seasoned players. Khyri has home state pride on the line to show it's a blue state. The arena will be full of blue and loud -- despite the occasional annoying as hell "Go Big Red" chant they always try to start during lineups being announced.

A loss here would be epically painful -- but I don't see any way it's possible unless we shoot like we did against Baylor for the entire game, which would be shocking at home. I think Scurry and Clement get in the game late again because it'll be safely out of reach. I really want to see us hang 100 on them.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby NUgradCUfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
Panhandle Jay wrote:Nebraska just did what they always do last night. They get a couple wins a year that look great, then they'll go on to lose to Rutgers, Penn State and Illinois.

I'm not sure beating Minnesota in Lincoln is actually even a sign of a "great" win. Keep in mind that this same Minnesota team was outscored on its home floor by Alabama playing 3 on 5 a couple weeks ago. Pitino has lost every single game he's played against Nebraska in Lincoln. This isn't some really shocking performance that against a really great team. (and yeah, I know we supposedly lost the "scrimmage" up there in Minnesota -- but that means absolutely nothing in terms of actual game comparisons)

I always wander over to read their board before this game (don't post, just read) -- and they are convinced that their talent across the board is as good as Creighton's. Which is puzzling -- I don't think they've got someone on the Naismith list, returning first team all conference, one of the best defenders in the nation, etc. Their inside players have generally been pretty terrible all year. And one of their very best players is apparently Copeland -- who transferred after flaming out in the BIG EAST and never doing anything against Creighton.

Glynn Watson is solid. But even looking at last night's game, it's pretty clear that if you disrupt or slow him down then there is a HUGE drop off in performance. And even the next best performances for them all come FROM what Watson can do.

Baylor is much better than Nebraska. We controlled Baylor for most of the game on a neutral floor, and only lost because of an epically bad shooting night.
Gonzaga is much, much, much better than Nebraska. We outclassed them on their own floor for a half -- and no way Timmy Smiles makes some big adjustment at half in Omaha that causes us to flounder epically in the second half.

I know that DRock won't let the players take this game lightly at all, and they'll be focused in and ready to go. The leaders on the team have pride in never having come close to being touched by Nebraska. Our freshmen are already playing like seasoned players. Khyri has home state pride on the line to show it's a blue state. The arena will be full of blue and loud -- despite the occasional annoying as hell "Go Big Red" chant they always try to start during lineups being announced.

A loss here would be epically painful -- but I don't see any way it's possible unless we shoot like we did against Baylor for the entire game, which would be shocking at home. I think Scurry and Clement get in the game late again because it'll be safely out of reach. I really want to see us hang 100 on them.

+++1

And also who in the world thought Glorious by Macklemore would be a great pump up song to play before the tip off of every home game? Can we please get that changed to something that gets the fans pumped? I want the CLink ROCKIN
NUgradCUfan

Postby taa71458 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm concerned the team doesn't focus on this game prep with the next game looming.

#MarylandEasternShoreWeek
taa71458

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:20 pm

I am very very concerned about this game...not about losing...but last year they called CPS ( child protective services ) on Coach Mac for the absolute beating we gave those kids last year. I hope this year he doesnt get arrested for the beatdown we are going to unleash this year.
PhoenixBluejay

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:

In D-Rock we trust! The spot we have the absolute advantage is the guys wearing suits.
Waylon Van Smack

Postby yeti47 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Khyrifense strikes. That is what this game will be about. Debating whether or not he is on Watson or Palmer.....if you take them off scheduled does Palmer get points? You can still put Foster on Palmer or Mintz? But khyri matches better with length....hmm. Ballock scores 10, with 7 rebound, 5 assists and Krampus dominates down low. However, only win by 18.
RollDamnJays 97
Skersoffrostlandia 79
yeti47

Postby Trifecta » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 pm

I used to get nervous about this game. Mainly because of the garbage CU fans will have to eat from our Husker brethren if they manage to pull off a shocker-- it's a lose/lose for us. But when Chatman, Kreklow, and company went down to Lincoln and beat that UNL team that returned basically the entire roster off their flash-in-the-pan NCAA team, I stopped worrying. That was their best chance in a decade to score a resounding win over the Jays, and they withered away.

I now say to myself, "You know what? What's there to worry about? Until they show any tangible threat to us on the court or in the coach's box, I''ll not give them a second thought." And no, I do not talk to myself...more of an inner monologue thing. :D

Jays 91
Corn 73
Trifecta

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops