5%
No votes
No votes
6 or less
No votes

Total votes : 79

Poll: How many Big East wins?

Postby Dundee Hipster » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:36 am

Now that we have a grasp on Big East competition and the makeup of the teams, how many wins in conference do you think we'll get?

I think we'll be around the 11 range. Road games are very tough and games at Butler, Marquette, Gtown, Providence, St Johns are all going to be very difficult even if we are better than them.
Dundee Hipster

Re: Poll: How many Big East wins?

Postby Polyfro » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am

I'll go with 11.

Win two at home against the top three teams (Villanova/Xavier/Seton Hall). Hold serve against everyone else. Knock off Butler, DePaul and Georgetown on the road. That's 11 wins. It's tough to find a roadmap to get 12; I could see 10-8 as a very real possibility though. Having seen everyone play for two months, I don't think the Jays will be worse than that.
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby Easypaddy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:54 am

I'm going to assume a loss at Georgetown until I'm proven wrong. I think they steal another one on the road somewhere. Otherwise agree.

10 wins.
Last edited by Easypaddy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easypaddy

Postby Panhandle Jay » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:55 am

It seems like we win a road game we shouldn't (Xavier x2) and we lose one or two or home we shouldn't (Providence, Marquette). If we were to only lose one game at home, that would be a great accomplishment.

I went with 11 wins.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 20
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:28 pm

13 conf wins. Split with X, Marq, Prov, StJ, & Nova. Sweep the rest. With folks having injuries - maybe more w's.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby bluejaydano » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:46 pm

I put 10. Something tells me that the Jays hit a mid season slump/ freshman hit a wall. Jays might drop a game or 2 that we don’t expect. Even Georgetown and Depaul look more able than they have in years past. ( Btw Billy Garrett still might come out of the tunnel for Depaul) But overall a successful season with 10 wins in a tough and testing Big East.
bluejaydano

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:47 pm

bluejaydano wrote:I put 10. Something tells me that the Jays hit a mid season slump/ freshman hit a wall. Jays might drop a game or 2 that we don’t expect. Even Georgetown and Depaul look more able than they have in years past. ( Btw Billy Garrett still might come out of the tunnel for Depaul) But overall a successful season with 10 wins in a tough and testing Big East.

10 for me too, for pretty much the same reasons.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby DC_JAY » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:22 am

10-8. Big East is dangerous this year with fewer gimmes than ever before. St Johns is rounding into form. Marquette shoots the lights out. We always lose at Georgetown. 11 wins is possible, as are only 9.
DC_JAY

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:16 pm

14. I see no reason to believe that we will be markedly worse; this conference's depth is overrated as hell this year if you ask me.

Providence has crashed, and DePaul will always do random crap like shoot under 50% from the charity stripe like they did against Northwestern to blow games. That's 4. And I don't care about the whole DC curse, there's no such thing when you have played 4 games there. Govan is the deal but besides that we are better at every other position. If we are worth our salt those will be wins 5 and 6.

Marquette is understaffed, and Butler is criminally overrated. Kelan Martin is the second most overrated player in the history of the reconstituted BE in my opinion, trailing only ex-teammate Kellen Dunham for biggest goof anyone ever thought was good (and for whom the trophy is named). He's slightly above average. St. John's is still without LoVett and at this rate might be when we play them in 10 days. Don't like the return date in MSG all that much but it'll be a pick em betting line.

Truth is, we have the two best players on the court when we play any of those three teams. It's OK to say that out loud; I'll take 5-1 there.

Then a split against the top 3. 14-4.

Boom.
HandDownManDown

Postby LynchMob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:37 am

Man, I would be absolutely thrilled with 14, but I think the BE is shaping up to be a bloodbath. Villanova is clearly on top, but then there are six more teams in the KenPom top-50 - X, SH, us, Butler, SJU, Marquette. Going 2-0 against any of those teams will be a huge challenge.

If we go 1-1 against all the top-50 teams and 2-0 against the other 3 teams we will be 12-6 - I think that's the most you could realistically aim for.

In all honesty, if we can go 10-8 with so many inexperienced players getting big minutes that will be a huge accomplishment.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Next

Return to Men's Hoops