Seton Hall

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Seton Hall

Postby drbluejay » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:56 am

Mac coached a GOOD game. Composure and lack of a true PG did us in once again.
This didn't happen when Mo was leading the team.
We can only hope that Joseph makes it to the starting lineup, if he is good enough.
Going to the zone (a good move by Mac) late in the game had SH missing 4 outside jumpers.
A coach can't win games when his players choke late in the game.
1 of 4 on FT's missing 3 of them late in the game.
4 turnovers late in the game.
Air balls on wide open jumpers late in the game.
I only wonder what Clement or even Joseph could have done for the team late but I wonder more how some fans would have reacted to such a move if it didn't work.
I love this team and think we can play with almost any team in the nation.
It's been a fun year and I'm looking forward to having even more fun watching this exciting and very good team in action each game.
drbluejay

Postby ictjay » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Self made the zone move last night end of 1st half. Smart. We needed to make a change when out double digit + lead started evaporating. Whole sequence was painfull to watch. We were the hammer the 1st half. SH adjusted and we didn’t.
ictjay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 am

I can't really complain too much about them losing a game that I thought they would lose going into it. We had our chances, but they really out-did us down the stretch.

Mac's strategy was overall very good, IMO. I loved the way he used Martin after spreading the floor and opening space inside, and He depended on Hegner to play Delgado solo for most of the game and while that seems like a mis-match, Delgado ended up shooting way under 50% when Hegner was in the game. I thought a couple of the fouls on Hegner were ticky-tack, but in any case he fouled out and Delgado simply man-handled the rest of our interior defenders. No slam on them as Delgado is easily one of the best players in the conference. Maybe Suarez could help, but his foot speed might make him just a foul machine against Delgado anyways.

Some people need to realize that what Mac is doing is playing Hegner at the 5 defensively and at the 4 offensively, while playing Martin at the 5 offensively and at the 4 defensively. That is by far our best interior play configuration for both offense and defense.

The interior players didn't lose the game, though - if you are solo covering Delgado, you can't let Rodriguez, Carrington and Powell rip you like they did in the second half. What lost the game was those guys and us not converting on easy shots, FT's and our best players not performing in the second half. While we are not a super young team, we have a lot of youngsters who were playing for the first tie on the road in crunch time versus a tough BE opponent. That takes some learning and experience to overcome. We have to take care of our home court and work to slip in some road games while we continue to get better.
Chicagojayfan

Postby SDJay » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:I can't really complain too much about them losing a game that I thought they would lose going into it. We had our chances, but they really out-did us down the stretch.

Mac's strategy was overall very good, IMO. I loved the way he used Martin after spreading the floor and opening space inside, and He depended on Hegner to play Delgado solo for most of the game and while that seems like a mis-match, Delgado ended up shooting way under 50% when Hegner was in the game. I thought a couple of the fouls on Hegner were ticky-tack, but in any case he fouled out and Delgado simply man-handled the rest of our interior defenders. No slam on them as Delgado is easily one of the best players in the conference. Maybe Suarez could help, but his foot speed might make him just a foul machine against Delgado anyways.

Some people need to realize that what Mac is doing is playing Hegner at the 5 defensively and at the 4 offensively, while playing Martin at the 5 offensively and at the 4 defensively. That is by far our best interior play configuration for both offense and defense.

The interior players didn't lose the game, though - if you are solo covering Delgado, you can't let Rodriguez, Carrington and Powell rip you like they did in the second half. What lost the game was those guys and us not converting on easy shots, FT's and our best players not performing in the second half. While we are not a super young team, we have a lot of youngsters who were playing for the first tie on the road in crunch time versus a tough BE opponent. That takes some learning and experience to overcome. We have to take care of our home court and work to slip in some road games while we continue to get better.

+1 That was a BIG task (pun intended) for Toby to bang against Delgado down low. From a nostalgia aspect, it would have been interesting to watch Echinque match up against him....
" That rug really tied the room together, did it not?"
SDJay

Postby drbluejay » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:09 am

I also think Hegner did an outstanding job against Delgado . Hegner doesn't get enough credit for his post defense.
drbluejay

Postby cujaysfan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 am

manny is the only guy on the roster who has the body to bang with those guys even if his athleticism is less

would have at least liked to have seen him get a couple minutes to see how he might have done against those guys
cujaysfan

Postby go_jays » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 am

On the other side of the ball, Suarez simply can't run the floor. There's a reason Krampelj had the game he did. Delgado simply couldn't keep up with him. So, you make a choice, and let the chips fall where they may.

Also, Delgado isn't the one who beat us anyway. He wasn't in during the last 3:09 of game... the point at which we lead 84-83.

And this is why I think Seton Hall is the team to beat. Even with one of their most important players on the bench, they managed to pull out the win... thanks to timely offense by Rodriguez and Carrington... and some solid defensive play and rebounding by Nzei and Sonogo.

Like I said earlier... IMO, SH will be the one still standing at the end of Round 15... and I actually should have said "at the end of Round 18".
go_jays

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops