What we need: A captain

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

What we need: A captain

Postby CU Final Four » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:29 am

From Andrew Ross Sorkin in the NYT,

“Another well-told book about leadership, one that intelligently masquerades as a book about sports, is Sam Walker’s “The Captain Class: The Hidden Force That Creates the World’s Greatest Teams.” Mr. Walker spent years identifying the most successful sports teams in history, and then tried to figure out what had made them that way. His answer: “The most crucial ingredient in a team that achieves and sustains historic greatness is the character of the player who leads it.”

With genuine insight, he describes seven characteristics of great captains, whom he refers to as Tier One captains. One trait in particular stuck out to me, especially in this age of selfies: “Most of the Tier One captains had zero interest in the trappings of fame. They didn’t pursue the captaincy for the prestige it conveyed.”

Mac, D Rock and the rest of the staff need to read this book tomorrow. It wouldn’t surprise me if the student managers have already read it.

Then the team must read it, discuss and then ACT.

Nick Bahe would agree with me. I also expect him to read this book on his next flight.

St. Ignatius Loyola told his Jesuit successors to hire “only the best teachers.” Get on the stick Mac! He’s talking to you.

I know for a fact that last season’s Oregon team and staff read Phil Knight’s book and look where they finished.

I, for one, am tired of blowing big first half leads.
Last edited by CU Final Four on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Re: What we need: A captain

Postby Altman's Advisor » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am

CU Final Four wrote:The Hidden Force That Creates the World’s Greatest Teams.

Altman's Advisor

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:40 am

CU Final Four wrote:From Andrew Ross Sorkin in the NYT,

“Another well-told book about leadership, one that intelligently masquerades as a book about sports, is Sam Walker’s “The Captain Class: The Hidden Force That Creates the World’s Greatest Teams.” Mr. Walker spent years identifying the most successful sports teams in history, and then tried to figure out what had made them that way. His answer: “The most crucial ingredient in a team that achieves and sustains historic greatness is the character of the player who leads it.”

With genuine insight, he describes seven characteristics of great captains, whom he refers to as Tier One captains. One trait in particular stuck out to me, especially in this age of selfies: “Most of the Tier One captains had zero interest in the trappings of fame. They didn’t pursue the captaincy for the prestige it conveyed.”

Mac, D Rock and the rest of the staff need to read this book tomorrow. It wouldn’t surprise me if the student managers have already read it.

Then the team must read it, discuss and then

Nick Bahe would agree with me. I also expect him to read this book on his next flight.

St. Ignatius Loyola told his Jesuit successors to hire “only the best teachers.” Get on the stick Mac! He’s talking to you.

I know for a fact that last season’s Oregon team and staff read Phil Knight’s book and look where they finished.

I, for one, am tired of blowing big first half leads.

By almost every account I've heard from anyone associated with this year's team, the "leader" or "captain" of the team is Khyri Thomas.

CUFF's Ramblings wrote:“The most crucial ingredient in a team that achieves and sustains historic greatness is the character of the player who leads it.”

Are you trying to suggest that the "captain" or leader of this team -- as I said, by all accounts, Thomas -- lacks character? Are you trying to suggest that he is wrapped up in prestige or trappings of fame? Because you're even more of a lunatic than everyone already thought if that's what you are thinking on this one.

Thomas is the most unassuming, grounded, humble, shy-away-from-the-spotlight kind of leader you could imagine.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby CU Final Four » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Wales:

Not trying to say any such thing. That was your negative take driven, in part, by CUFF Derangement Syndrome.

This team is close to greatness. It just needs a little bit more. And since Creighton is a Jesuit school of higher education, I thought that a little book learning might be in order. Kentucky, UNC, Duke et alia have the best athletes but perhaps the players are resistant to both learning and coaching. Surely our team is not.

CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby CU Final Four » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:22 pm

And what are we paying Jack Stark for? He should spearhead this project.

CU Final Four

Postby go_jays » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I generally don't respond to your posts... But I have to say... You, my friend, are simply clueless.

Or you're trolling... and I'm leaning more toward believing that, than the fact that you are clueless... Because no one, I mean no one, comes up with the shit that you do without trolling being your motivation and having a pretty fruitful imagination.

Please tell us you are trolling.
go_jays

Postby CU Final Four » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Go Jays

I knew this intellectual take on basketball would go right over the head of many here. And that apparently includes you.

Why don’t you try - and I sincerely mean try and do your level best - to articulate a coherent objection and response to my post. You are, however, prohibited from name calling and ad hominem arguments and comments.

I’m really interested to see if you can write something that makes some sense.

But before you make a fool of yourself, please consider the fact that I will be grading your effort in the same manner as your toughest CU professor.

Fire away.

CU Final Four

Postby go_jays » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:15 pm

You just confirmed my suspicions... Thank you.
go_jays

Postby CU Final Four » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:43 pm

F.

What a baby. What a loser. Can’t even respond.

CU Final Four

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 pm

CU Final Four wrote:Go Jays

I knew this intellectual take on basketball would go right over the head of many here. And that apparently includes you.

Why don’t you try - and I sincerely mean try and do your level best - to articulate a coherent objection and response to my post. You are, however, prohibited from name calling and ad hominem arguments and comments.

I’m really interested to see if you can write something that makes some sense.

But before you make a fool of yourself, please consider the fact that I will be grading your effort in the same manner as your toughest CU professor.

Fire away.

I'm your huckleberry. Let's see.

First, you started a thread here with a title indicating that you believe we need a captain. A logical reading of that would be that you don't believe we currently have a sufficient captain (and hence, you believe it's "what we need," in your words).

Then you recommended a book that you proclaimed that our coaches and players "need" and "must" read. A logical reading of that would be that you think there's something in that book that would educate them and make them better.

You elected to provide a choice excerpt from this book. A logical reading of that would be that you were providing an excerpt of something from the book that you thought illustrated what it is that you think they can all learn from it.

That excerpt indicated that a good captain/leader is someone with character and someone who is not motivated by self glory and attention. A logical reading of that, in conjunction with your apparent belief that our coaches and team need to learn from this, would be that you believe we do not have a captain or a leader who possesses those traits.

Instead of the entirety of this board explaining to you how rational people read and think, why don't you take a moment to explain to the rest of us what your post was supposed to be conveying. What is it about this book that you think our coaches and players need to learn and do? What do you believe is wrong with the captain/leadership on our team that this book is going to remedy, and how is this book going to fix it? And if that excerpt or quote you provided wasn't intended to indicate that the book will teach them about character and leading through not being self interested, what WAS it supposed to suggest?

Reasonable people can have different opinions about most anything. But when you find yourself as the only person in a fairly large, well-educated group that is on "your" side of every single discussion and debate, there is a pretty good possibility that you aren't the sole voice of reason. It's much more likely that you're rambling way off base.
Outlaw_Wales

Next

Return to Men's Hoops