What we need: A captain

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: What we need: A captain

Postby CU Final Four » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 am

Jack Stark’s work for the Corn,

Now put yourself in Nee’s chair. He’d warned Stark that this little strategy session better work. Now he wondered if the whole team might come unhinged.

“Danny about had a heart attack,” Stark said, “but it changed the mood of the whole team immediately. Like, oh my God, we’re gonna deal with these issues.”

When it was Bambi's turn in the hot seat, his teammates fired away. Reid absorbed the criticism with one eye on Nee.

"He kept looking at me blinking his eyes like, relax," Reid said. "They let everybody do their bitching. And then Coach Nee stood up and said, ‘Hey, Beau, what is it about practice that bugs you?’ And he kinda winked at me because the other guys couldn’t see him."

Reid didn't hold back. Here's what bugs me, he said. How soft everybody is. How everyone complains when I set a hard screen. How no one cares if we lose, as long as they get their points.

That's the day the Huskers shed their angst. For years, they'd played for the name on the back of their jerseys.

"We started playing for the name on the front," Reid said. "Finally."

I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four
Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Re: What we need: A captain

Postby go_jays » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:01 am

If you want to know more about Jack... http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/shatel-jack-stark-would-come-back-to-nu-s-unity/article_73617631-d936-5156-bf21-eaaf0402a7f7.html

Jack did way more for The Corn than working with Nee's basketball team. I know some of you could give a shit... and I get it. So if you're not interested, don't read it... I get that too. But Stark has a very long history of being involved in winning programs, in general.

The one story that I'll never forget about Jack was when Osborne called him in to talk about working with the football team. It was '91 and near the end of the meeting Jack said... "Tom, I want you to know that I can only make maybe a 5% difference in your football team." Osborne looked at him and said... "Jack, 5% is the difference between a National Championship and no National Championship". The rest if history.

I took a very important lesson from that, and if you think about it, it applies to almost everything you do in life.

Improvement is exponential and a lot like E=MC2. The closer you get to perfection (championships) the harder it becomes to get more improvement. Bottom line, when going for a goal, any type of goal, the last 10% of the goal is always harder to achieve than the first 90%. In other words, it's easier to go from 10% of your goal to 90% of your goal than it is to go from 90% to 100%.

Return to Men's Hoops