What we need: A captain

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: What we need: A captain

Postby Alphawalt » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 am

In an effort to possibly make this a productive thread, what players at CU have been captains?
Alphawalt

Postby CU Final Four » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:43 am

A solid “B” for Wales.

Of course we have a team captain. I was speaking figuratively. Example: Trump is the de jure President but many on the Left refuse to recognize him as the legitimate president with moral authority to act. Trump is President in name only, Hence, the Resistance. There are many similar examples.

Assuming arguendo that the captain is KT, do the players recognize him as the leader? Is he the guy who stops the bleeding on the court in the second half at SH?

I like KT as much as any CU player. (Very few that I have ever disliked.) He has his own personality and character and I am not familiar with him. I don’t attend practice. But I would suggest to you that KT and the entire team could possibly learn something useful from this book. The author spent hundreds of hours writing it and it comes highly recommended.

Last year’s meltdown is fresh in everyone’s mind. Not only was Watson the best player, he was the leader. Once he got hurt and then charged with a crime, the team suffered as there was no real replacement.

I was emphatic in my post (must read!) as a rhetorical device to create urgency. A lawyer trick.

As a non-insider but Creighton fan of 50 years, a handful of leaders come to mind, Walker and Sears played together. Were they co-captains? I have no idea. But I do know that they lead Creighton to greatness through mental toughness, example and grit, Bob Harstad was also a leader. By his own account, Tony Barone forced him to become a leader. Add Doug to the list along with Maniget.

There is a mental component to all sports but basketball more so due to the nature of the game. Mac has recognized that and he is paying Jack Stark six figures a year to run that aspect of the game for him. Doug took his teaching to heart and he said it helped him. POY.

We have a team that is very talented physically and also well coached. We are just missing a little bit that is needed to get us to the Sweet Sixteen. We have to harnass that mental aspect as we can’t hire pros like KY does every year.

Your CUFF Derangement Syndrome shows there at the end of your post. If CUFF wrote it then it is ipso facto trash.

Finally, you missed the obvious overstatement in my post. That was intentional on my part. There was no cause-and-effect between Oregon’s great run last season and reading Phil Knight’s book. I did read Knight’s excellent book but it wasn’t all that practical or analytic. It was mostly his experience. But reading that book and applying some lessons from it sure didn’t hurt, did it now? Oregon won more games in the NCAA tournament than we did.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm

CUFF: You access correctly that folks go into automatic disregard mode just because your handle is attached to a post. However, there is much merit to your post and to this discussion. As a proponent of Positive Mental Attitude, positive thinking, and optimism (not a sports psychology professional), I see room for improvement through an examination of and corrections to the teams mental mindset and their individual historic mental programming.

I have often emailed and tweeted the coaches to "get Tony Robbins" over the years to combat and correct faulty thinking, "old tape" beliefs, faulty notions, and reactionary negative habits on the court. I don't know if Dr. Stark is still working with the team or not, but perhaps they are merely getting a powerpoint overview or a Psych of Sports 101 training, and not an in-depth work/course as related to sports/hoops. Doug was/is the only CU player I can recall that routinely talked about such training. Reading such a book as you describe could not hurt to aid and assist our players in learning about effective leadership and situational roleplaying.

The team has been roundly criticized recently after the 3 losses (see the SH Thread) and terms such as Loss of Composure (5), Lack of mental toughness (4), Blown leads (3), and other criticisms have been bandied about freely. Some deserved, some not. Teams routinely practice end of game sets, plays, and generally have a go to set of plays and players. Perhaps more emphasis is needed in practices on these types of end game situations so that the team does not freeze up, lose confidence, or resort to playing "hero ball" and the like. I believe the team will improve, get through this, and continue to win, but addressing the "composure"situation is worthwhile.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby go_jays » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:36 pm

It's abundantly clear that neither one of you understand what Jack does... and is already doing. Jack is well-known by those who know.

And if the staff didn't respond to you, gtmo, it's because they already have one of the best, if not THE best, sport psychologists in the country working with the team. I've worked with Jack... there is none better.

So can we just shit-can this whole subject, now?

http://www.jackastark.com/
go_jays

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks for the quick education...
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby CU Final Four » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Wildly entertaining and thought-provoking…makes you reexamine long-held beliefs about leadership and the glue that binds winning teams together.” Theo Epstein.

Yeah, that Theo Epstein; the future Hall of Famer who took two infamous losing teams and led them to winning the World Series in short order. Theo and CUFF are of one mind on this extraordinary book by Sam Walker. We are simpatico.

The book is a cross between the books of Malcolm Gladwell and Human Accomplishment by Charles Murray; although neither is mentioned. Walker’s idea was to use stats and figure out what sports teams really were the best and then what made them so. His conclusion was that a single captain was the element that took a team from good to great and then with the captain’s leadership the team stayed great and dominated for a number of years. For our purposes college sports were excluded because the players change every four years. The wild thing about the book is that it covers great teams and captains in the sports of soccer, team handball, rugby and a bunch of other sports I don’t follow. (As an aside, Walker works for the WSJ and only the resources of the WSJ allowed him to do this book. How else does one get news reports written in Hungarian translated?)

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I read it on my flight back from my global warming conference. But it has not yet found its audience as it is only in the top 2,000 at Amazon. Sorkin’s blurb should drive some sales and I thank Andrew for the recommendation. Right now it is our little Creighton secret. It is how a good Creighton team moves up and becomes great. This book is not a magic bullet by any means but there is good stuff throughout the book and every player on the team can learn from it. It is unlikely that our team will dominate like the Boston Celtics (1956-69) and San Antonio Spurs (1997-2016) but I, for one, think this team can perform at a much higher level over a long period of time. As it is a college team with young men, coaching is more important than the pros so the coaches have to get the ball rolling here.

I know many here LOVE their stats. Lots of stats talk in the book, but not silly stats. And the stats serve a purpose and are analyzed with great intelligence by Walker.

Buy the book simply for the account (pages 44-47) of a rugby match in France in 1986. Men, your hair will curl at what went on in that game. You haven’t known toughness until you learn about that match.

Walker pegs Bill Russell and Tim Duncan as his two basketball Tier One captains. They were different and yet the same. (Russell, of course, is an alum of the University of San Francisco; a Jesuit school like Creighton.) Fascinating insight by Walker on both men. If KT is, in fact, our captain I see some of Bill Russell in him. I don’t attend practice and don’t have deep inside sources like some here claim to have, but I can see KT using both Russell and Duncan as role models and to good effect. And maybe KT isn’t the leader. Maybe it is MK. Or maybe frosh MB. I don’t know but an intentional reading of this book by the entire team would be greatly beneficial. And it is a fun read too.

Walker identifies seven traits of elite captains:

Extreme doggedness and focus in competition.
Aggressive play that tests the limits of the rules.
A willingness to do thankless jobs in the shadows (water carrying in the book).
A low-key, practical, and democratic communication style.
Motivates others with passionate nonverbal displays.
Strong convictions and the courage to stand apart.
Ironclad emotional control.

And since this is a basketball forum (spoiler alert) Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls don’t qualify as an elite captain or one of the greatest teams of all time. I agree.

Unlike that psyche tape sometimes played at the home games with inspiring speeches, the Tier One captain doesn’t use that style. One doesn’t have to be Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour to inspire and lead a team to victory.

The book cites and discusses many academic studies that Jack Stark is probably familiar with. Unlike go_jays, I am not personally acquainted with Dr. Stark. But whatever he does or doesn’t do for the team, I see no harm and a whole lot of good if he read this book and taught the team some of its lessons. And if, in fact, KT is the leader then he deserves special tutoring from Stark.

To the extent that this forum has ANY influence on the team, my humble suggestion is that Mac read this book. He then charges Stark to incorporate some of the lessons of it in whatever he is paid to do. The entire team then reads it. They can read it on the next road trip. I would then suggest that a captain of the 2017-18 Bluejays be named. What harm could it do? Maybe we then don’t blow any more first half leads. Maybe we can face down and defeat a Duke or UNC in March. One of the lessons of the book is that the captain doesn’t have to be the best scorer and a great captain can lead a team to defeat a team with superior athletic talent. We can do it.

&&&&&

Added. Attended Mass at a Jesuit east coast parish. The celebrant was no John Schlegel, S.J. (who could be?) but still a very good homily.

He referenced an old Black Spiritual. I will modify for this forum

Please be patient with me Underground/
The season ain’t over yet.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby Durango Jay » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:06 pm

We need Ronnie to start hitting his jumper at a high rate, imho.
Durango Jay

Postby drbluejay » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 am

Durango Jay wrote:We need Ronnie to start hitting his jumper at a high rate, imho.

Ronnie's stats over the last 4 games.
8 of 15 FG's, 53%
4 of 7 on 3's, 57%
3 of 6 on layups, 50%
1 of 2 on 2 pt jumpers, 50%
drbluejay

Postby Durango Jay » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 am

In my face, I guess. Maybe it was the Baylor game that I was focusing on.
Durango Jay

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am

hit your layups, Ronnie

and shoot more
cujaysfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops