St. John's Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: St. John's Game Thread

Postby RxJay » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:30 pm

At the end of the season will it be the OLD BAG line?
RxJay

Postby DC_JAY » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:53 pm

go_jays wrote:
cu8493 wrote:I will also say I think Marcus has been so much more within the system this year and particularly last night down the stretch. In at least a couple of our losses, things seemed to really fall apart when Marcus appeared to think he had to force matters and ended up taking low percentage shots and turning the ball over or otherwise getting us into tough positions. There was a little of that during the last part of St. Johns 14-0 run to end the first half. But, he composed himself and made great decisions with the ball in the second half, including the decision to kick the ball back out to KT for the game-sealing 3. I also really like the way he has been encouraging the freshmen, never seems to get down on them for making a mistake or missing a shot, and by all appearances is just as happy when someone else makes a big shot.

Nailed it. The end of the first half was the blueprint we'd been following so far this year. The second half was, hopefully, the new blueprint. We'll see... but I think the lesson finally sunk in last night. Their response to the St. John's run (and you could actually say "runs"... because the beginning of the second half also started with a Johnnies run) was really gratifying to see for Mac and the entire staff, I am sure.

I think the home crowd environment was the key factor, not necessarily Creighton figuring things out. The Jays' other losses have been neutral/road games. If St. John's doesn't choke at the line and Khyri's three doesn't miraculously go in, we would be in a tizzy. Not to take away this excellent second half. The Jays were dialed in.
DC_JAY

Postby go_jays » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:17 pm

I have no doubts the crowd helped with the energy. But energy alone won't do it. As a matter of fact, too much energy has actually been the problem at times when getting run at.

My guess was that the lesson was still learned... Learn to play within yourselves... don't try to take everything upon yourself...trust the training... and the let the rest take care of itself... which is true no matter whether you are home or away.

And as far as being dialed in, they weren't dialed in all the time. Mostly in the second half when they dialed in on the things I just mentioned.

But like I said, we'll see if they really did learn those things.
go_jays

Postby drbluejay » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 am

My wife and I don't have a problem waiting in line to get into the games. There is barely a line if any when we arrive, whether we go in the lower level or the top level. We get there before tip off for many reasons and I don't feel sorry for the late comers arriving a few minutes before tip off. It shocks me to see how empty the arena is 10 minutes before tip off and then those same people that arrive late, leave 5 minutes before the end of the game. I was at the Metro Holiday tournament where they did not check bags and fans were arriving very late there and the lines were insane. If you want to avoid long lines, don't arrive right before tip off. Concessions, parking, beer lines and the bathrooms are not busy if you arrive at a decent time.
A packed house 20 minutes prior to BEast games would be wonderful.
drbluejay

Postby xsshooter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:44 am

RE: bag line. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure how I missed the bag/no bag line. Must be spending too much time at DJ before the game. 8-)
xsshooter

Postby CPJays » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:46 am

The bag line has been quicker for both home games with the new policy I went to.
CPJays

Postby Jaybird » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:34 pm

drbluejay wrote: It shocks me to see how empty the arena is 10 minutes before tip off and then those same people that arrive late, leave 5 minutes before the end of the game.

They're not "arriving late" by and large. Just how long have you been going to games? Most of those fans, especially lower bowl types, are hanging in the lounges and concourses. I'm always surprised at the apparent arena occupancy rate, say, right before the Anthem, compared to right after the opening tip. I wish there was a way to chase all of them to their rightful seats a few minutes before tipoff because, dammit, I like to see a full arena. It pleases me. But I don't think that reason alone will persuade the Ath Dept to try to change things. And what could they do anyway? Pull the Lexus Lounge fire alarm? After a few games, people would start to catch on. Even those Lexus Lounge people.
Jaybird

Postby drbluejay » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Jaybird wrote:
drbluejay wrote: It shocks me to see how empty the arena is 10 minutes before tip off and then those same people that arrive late, leave 5 minutes before the end of the game.

They're not "arriving late" by and large. Just how long have you been going to games? Most of those fans, especially lower bowl types, are hanging in the lounges and concourses. I'm always surprised at the apparent arena occupancy rate, say, right before the Anthem, compared to right after the opening tip. I wish there was a way to chase all of them to their rightful seats a few minutes before tipoff because, dammit, I like to see a full arena. It pleases me. But I don't think that reason alone will persuade the Ath Dept to try to change things. And what could they do anyway? Pull the Lexus Lounge fire alarm? After a few games, people would start to catch on. Even those Lexus Lounge people.

I have been going to games since the Marquette game back in 1973 and a season ticket holder for the better part of 40 years.
I sit in the upper bowl and most of those fans are not in the lounge. They tell me parking was horrible or the traffic was bad is why they arrive late. Half of my section doesn't show up until right before tip off or later. The family of 5 next to me arrives every game after tip off. My son walks to the games and he usually arrives after tip off. I don't get it. I get pumped up sitting in my seat watching shoot around etc. On a rare time I arrive just before tip off, half the fun is gone. When I was younger, I would sometimes have to wait until they unlocked the doors to the civic to get in and then I would sometimes stay and listen to the Tom Apke show while sitting close by and my sons would get autographs from CU and opposing players.
drbluejay

Postby LynchMob » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Dundee Hipster wrote:The CU sports PR department is doing their best to create a story that the atmosphere inside the Century Link center is good. But it's not. I like our team. I hope for our team. But the narrative that we have a good home court environment and a full arena every game is false.

There's frequently an abundance of empty seats and a lot of the lower bowl leaves early regardless of the circumstances.

You joined in 2013, but is this your first year watching Creighton basketball or something?

The crowds are getting better, not worse.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby Dundee Hipster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 pm

LynchMob wrote:
Dundee Hipster wrote:The CU sports PR department is doing their best to create a story that the atmosphere inside the Century Link center is good. But it's not. I like our team. I hope for our team. But the narrative that we have a good home court environment and a full arena every game is false.

There's frequently an abundance of empty seats and a lot of the lower bowl leaves early regardless of the circumstances.

You joined in 2013, but is this your first year watching Creighton basketball or something?

The crowds are getting better, not worse.

Well, I have been going to games since the mid-1990s when I moved here from the upper midwest. I think the atmospheres peaked at the Civic with Korver heyday and then in Doug's last two seasons. Have been on a slow decline since, which is understandable. But it's a false narrative to say it's a great atmosphere/homecourt advantage. I would equate it to a regular season NBA game, not overly intimidating.
Dundee Hipster

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops