Butler game thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Butler game thread

Postby drbluejay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Tired legs in question?
Creighton has 8 guys averaging over 19 minutes per game w/ a top at only 30 minutes per game.
Duke has 4 guys that average over 30 minutes per game.
Creighton has an 8 man rotation which is fine.
Duke usually has a 7 man rotation year in and year out.
You don't need a 10 or 11 man rotation to win.
You also don't play guys just to get them ready for next year.
The time is now and to put your best foot forward right now, not to get ready for next year.
Our best foot forward means 7 or 8 guys if that is what Mac sees fit.
drbluejay

Postby Jaybird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:55 pm

drbluejay wrote:Tired legs in question?
Creighton has 8 guys averaging over 19 minutes per game w/ a top at only 30 minutes per game.
The time is now and to put your best foot forward right now, not to get ready for next year.

What are you talking about? Where is there a discussion about trying to get ready for next year?
Jaybird

Postby Easypaddy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 pm

For some reason, when I read a drbluejay post I can't help but think that he typed it in notepad and then copy-pasted it.
Easypaddy

Postby 3ontheway » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pm

I don't know better than anyone else if they are actually getting tired as the game goes on playing that constant run/push tempo, and I don't think Duke plays that way every game all the time like CU, just a thought as a possibility and possible reason why 2nd halves have been a little ragged looking in a few games. If there are only 7 or 8 guys that Mac trusts, then by all means that is who should get all the run, not questioning that.....

Not calling out Mac at all, just a concern for what might happen when they are 25-30 games in if they stick with 7-8 man rotation playing that way with this conference slate. I don't think that is an illegitimate concern.
3ontheway

Postby Dundee Hipster » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pm

3ontheway wrote:I don't know better than anyone else if they are actually getting tired as the game goes on playing that constant run/push tempo

Mac said they were last night post-game.
Dundee Hipster

Postby mannygakou » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:I also think post-Mo that Patton was a non-factor in too many games so he boosted his numbers by scrambling for dunks and rebounds when the game was out of hand whereas Martin is producing during the meaningful parts of the game. There were many conference games that JP would finish with 12 and 6 but almost all of that production came when we were down 20.

this is a mind-boggling take.

After Watson went down, Creighton lost two conference games by more than 10 points and only trailed by more than 20 once in any single game. Where they did trail by more than 20 was against Georgetown, where Patton somewhat kept them in the game by scoring 20 points and grabbing 7 boards. The only other double digit loss was by 16 at Nova where the Jays were mostly in that game, yet Patton only scored 4 points.
mannygakou

Postby Panhandle Jay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote: There were many conference games that JP would finish with 12 and 6 but almost all of that production came when we were down 20.

NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 20
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby Jaybird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 pm

MN's numbers are mostly accurate.

Against Marquette at home, we trailed by as many as 19, and Justin went for 10 and 9
At Georgetown (the next game) we fell behind by as many as 22 (our low water mark), and Patton got 20 and 7
Last reg. season game, @ Marquette, we trailed by up to 18, and Justin got us 11 and 5
And, in the BE final, we were getting smoked by up to 20 and Patton finished with 10 and 3.

There were also a couple post-Watson games where we trailed by 16, and JP didn't hit double digits in either points or boards.

I have no idea at what point in any of those games was Justin more productive or less, but maybe MN does and, anyway, if his argument is that Justin was helping his stats when it wasn't helping the team quite so much, whereas Martin's numbers appear more evenly distributed and are coming at some key times in the games, that might be debatable, but hardly mind-boggling.
Jaybird

Postby drbluejay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Jaybird wrote:
drbluejay wrote:Tired legs in question?

What are you talking about? Where is there a discussion about trying to get ready for next year?
Last edited by drbluejay on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drbluejay

Postby drbluejay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Easypaddy wrote:For some reason, when I read a drbluejay post I can't help but think that he typed it in notepad and then copy-pasted it.
Last edited by drbluejay on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drbluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops