Villanova game thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Villanova game thread

Postby 3ontheway » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:27 am

If the Jays are going to go where they want this year, post no MK, Khyri has to be more aggressive and involved offensively. 5 shots in 30 minutes of play is not going to work against tourney teams. They need him to get to the rim a lot more and FT line a lot more. Would also serve to take some pressure off MF to have to feel like he HAS to score 25+ points every game for the Jays to compete.
3ontheway

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:14 am

taa71458 wrote:The beauty of the big east is you can get your ass kicked on the road but it’s the #1 team in the nation so it doesn’t really matter.

Yep, Once upon a time this would have been the end of our season. Now, it's against the #1 team, and we have another shot at them at home.

Onto the next game. Hopefully the extended minutes for the bench help prep them to play well down the stretch
Chicagojayfan

Postby JayPak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:35 am

Where you run into trouble is getting blown out at home, e.g. Marquette.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby cu8493 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:24 am

My takeaway after looking at the box score. DM had a quiet 7 assists and 0 turnovers - although Nova doesn't exactly pressure the ball outside. Wish he could have hit a couple of his shots, but still a nice game from him. However, it remains painfully obvious that neither he nor TA has the ability to really break down a defense to free up other guys. Kaleb seems to have that ability, but looks too much for his own shot when he drives rather than to feed the open man when help defense comes. Foster had 3 steals, and seemed more aggressive on his defense, yet only committed two fouls (3rd was a charge). I'd like to see him continue that down the stretch. Lastly, KT was 5-5 and 2-2 from 3. Toby was 3-4 and 2-2 from 3. Toby is 22-44 in BE play from 3. After the slump KT went through, he is now 10-17 from 3 in the last 5 games. Yet, both of them passed up a number of open looks from 3 last night. Everyone else on the team shot a combined 2-14. Here on out, those two have to be more aggressive in shooting the 3 when open. IMO, neither should ever shoot less than 5 3s in a game. Final, final thought. I sure as hell hope we don't see that match up zone against Marquette. It'll be like shooting ducks on a pond for those guys if we do. Oh, and fantastic work by Epperson getting out in front on the transition. Just needs to not get himself stuck behind the back board when he catches some of those entry passes, and if he does, just pass it back out and reposition instead of trying to force up a shot from back there. On to DePaul and then a nice 3 game home stand.
cu8493

Postby mredle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am

Our job right now (in my opinion) is to continue work on the rebuild (post MK injury) and get this team playing better across the board. Good schedule ahead to do that. Let's build for Villanova and the rematch at our place.
mredle

Postby RVB » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:37 am

Jon’s notes from the game: In two minutes and five possessions, No. 1 Villanova surges with fifteen straight points

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 19d2e.html
RVB

Postby Old MVC Days » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am

Pretty insane that we played fairly well and still got blown out. Villanova is without a doubt the best team in the nation. I can't imagine anybody being more flawless.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby ictjay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:23 am

Shoot good you look good. Nova is a great team. Couple of their freshman were studs, big time.
We have a good ballclub that I think is doing things right. We are good enough right now to get the sufficient wins to get into the tourney. Hopefully will will start a dramatic improvement between now and March. From the quotes I've read from the players, I have a real good feeling that it will happen.
ictjay

Postby Polyfro » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm

The Morning After recaps last night's loss with all the usual stats, analysis, quotes, and tweets. CU played pretty well, IMHO, but Villanova's #1 for a reason.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/morning-a ... creighton/
#GoJays
Polyfro

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops