Villanova game thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Villanova game thread

Postby Eye of the Jay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 pm

Thought we actually played really well in the first half. They were just hitting everything including contested looks. To start the second, we were giving up open 3 after open 3. The refs weren't helping by calling everything for the team up 15+ like Marcus' steal where he doesn't even step out and if the ref think he did he was definitely pushed. Ballock's steal he wasn't touching any part of Paschall and yet gets called for the foul.

Good job by the backups holding the lead in the 20s and not letting them set the Big East record for 3s 21 > 19 8-) Don't know how you have Brunson, Divencenzo and Bridges still in there at the under 4 timeout. You're wearing your best players down Jay Wright. Really excited for the rematch - if they shoot like they did tonight then we're in trouble, but I have a feeling we'll come out with a more effective defensive scheme and hopefully get some stops without giving up offensive rebounds.

Nice play by Epperson tonight as well as Joseph. Hope they get a little more run down the stretch. Toby looking real tired/injured out there.
Eye of the Jay

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 pm

If ZMagic was head coach, we win that game. Nova then wouldn’t hit those threes. Right?
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby Realhoops » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Maybe it's just me -- but I don't feel horrible after losing this game by 20.

I don't understand the defensive gameplan for this one -- the zone didn't really seem to work with the way they were passing and shooting tonight, and it felt like we were much closer to them during the stretches of man defense.

With 10:30 to go in the first half, it was 18-18. With 5:15 to go in the first half, it was 40-22. That 22-4 run over about 5 minutes was really the difference. Outside of that stretch, the other 35 minutes of basketball resulted in Nova outscoring Creighton by 2, which includes some garbage minutes for both teams' scout teams.

We shot the ball decently. We got good looks. Foster actually took it to the basket pretty effectively. We got some really good minutes for Jacob in a true road game against the #1 team in the nation. Ballock struggled offensively, but played some good minutes on defense and on the boards. Alexander looked like he's getting some confidence back. Toby had a solid outing, especially with the clear play through pain he's battling right now. And even Joseph got some minutes to try to get back into the mix somehow.

And don't totally overlook several really horrible efforts by the officials. That's not the reason for the game, but when a team is playing as well as Nova is, a handful of really bad homer calls -- and there were several -- makes everything else just about insurmountable.

So I walked away from watching this game thinking we can absolutely play with these guys in Omaha. Fix the defensive gameplan, execute again, slow down the three point barrage, and we can have a legitimate shot at beating them here.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby cu8493 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:32 pm

LOL Brunson tried to jump into Hegner under the basket, bounced off him, goes to the floor and gets the fouls call. Ref is going to be a little red faced when he watches that on the game film. What's funny is we actually shot 26 free throws or something like that
cu8493

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Strange game to watch, I thought it could be ugly and it was, but I didn't end up having such a bad feeling about it.

We need to get more intensity out on the wing defensively, and even Thomas wasn't all that sharp tonight.. but I don't think it would have mattered.

Mac did the right thing in just playing the Frosh. Don't want to lose someone to injury in the last minutes of a game like that
Chicagojayfan

Postby LynchMob » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm

We played like a B. They played like a B+ or an A- and beat us by 20. That team is insane.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Agree with Realhoops. We can beat these guys in Omaha.

Very impressed with JE in his second college game against number one and on the road. This kid will be a star.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby D Jay Fan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote: Good job by the backups holding the lead in the 20s and not letting them set the Big East record for 3s 21 > 19 8-)

2 games at Wells Fargo Arena. 19 and 21 three's for the winning team. Like a golf course set up to make Birdies if you are aggressive.
D Jay Fan

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 am

I agree with many on here. I thought we actually played pretty well - far better than the score would indicate anyway. Epperson gave us good minutes. He’s been collecting dust on the bench eating cheeseburgers and he still played the best out of the freshmen. Jacob has an opportunity to make a big impact for us down the stretch.

I was shocked to see us use the 3/4 court press in a non blowout situation for what seemed like the first time ever in the Mac era. Between that and playing Ronnie at pg for the first time last yr in the biggest game of the season, Mac sure picks strange times to experiment. The press was interesting, but I wouldn’t mind seeing us try to work out the kinks in December vs the Sisters of the Poor if we thought we’d ever want to use it this year.

Oh well. Win this weekend and we will be back on track.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby taa71458 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 am

The beauty of the big east is you can get your ass kicked on the road but it’s the #1 team in the nation so it doesn’t really matter.
taa71458

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops