DePaul Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: DePaul Game Thread

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am

I thought Epperson gave us great minutes in the first - really solid rim protection especially - but he was GASSED in the second half. He couldn't even get off the floor for rebounds by the end of the game. It'll take a while to get him in game shape. Thankfully Manny gave us good minutes (with the worst shot selection in Creighton history notwithstanding).

Marcus was amazing again. People talk about how much improvement Martin made over the course of a year, but I think Marcus's improvement has been just as big. He's gone from overrated, ball movement killer with zero interest in the non-scoring aspects of the game to complete game assassin.

I am so thankful we have Khyri. He had some huge buckets last night and played great defense as usual, but watching him handle the ball in traffic is beyond frustrating. Ball handling drills all summer for that kid.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby Old MVC Days » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 am

The Creighton contingent looked like the largest at an away conference game since the Drake days. Well done.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby shadow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 am

For the 100th time, the staff needs to abandon their stubbornness and release Kaleb into the damn lineup ! "12" points last time out ! It's soooooo obvious the other
guards don't have the moxie! Not only are the other guards NOT getting better, they are getting worse! Do we have no point guard coaches ? At least when he drives if he doesn't make the shot, he gets fouled AND sinks them !
shadow

Postby Eye of the Jay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am

drbluejay wrote:I love this team more and more each game they play. Depaul played a very good game and the Jays still found a way to win.
At last look yesterday, all of Creighton's losses this year have come against teams in the top 72 RPI.
Not many teams can say that, not even #1 Nova.

Actually Nova still can say that, too, as St. John's has inexplicably jumped over 40 spots in 2 games..in February.. up to #70 in the RPI. That's one of the biggest jumps I've ever seen from a team this late in the year in a week. It helps if they can stay in the Top 75 for us to get us a Group 1 win. Our Group 1 win total is really volatile:

Group 1 wins:
@St. John's (+5) at 70
Seton Hall (+3) at 27
Providence (+1) at 29

Group 2 wins:
Butler (-4) at 34
(N)UCLA (-7) at 57
@Northwestern (-8) at 83
Nebraska (-25) at 55
@St. John's (-40) at 70

It's good that Butler UCLA and Northwestern are so close to getting into that Group 1 win status for the Jays, but it's a little concerning that our best Group 1 win in terms of safety is @St. John's who is the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde team. We definitely need 2 of 4 against Nova,X,@Butler,@Marq as those Group 1 wins would be much more stable.

I'll be cheering hard for UCLA @ Zona tonight.
Eye of the Jay

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 am

next year will be interesting without a big body post on the roster (unless we get a 5th year)

it'll be the first time in Mac's 8 years we won't have had someone beefy down low

it's not like we aren't gonna see some of those kinda guys (X, Gtown, etc)

it's disappointing to be at this point in the season and still have no answer at PG
cujaysfan

Postby ictjay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 am

A loss last night could have caused a spiral to the NIT. All is good and we are playing for seeding now. Most years that game was a automatic L. This team seems to have more "nads" and appear focused on the prize. Everyone made boneheaded, are you kidding me plays, but were still able to contribute something to the win. Thumbs up.
Lets start getting better every game.
ictjay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 am

cujaysfan wrote:next year will be interesting without a big body post on the roster (unless we get a 5th year)

it'll be the first time in Mac's 8 years we won't have had someone beefy down low

it's not like we aren't gonna see some of those kinda guys (X, Gtown, etc)

it's disappointing to be at this point in the season and still have no answer at PG

If Martin's healthy, he's plenty strong enough. Bigger issue with him is the footwork and positioning. Depth behind him will be difficult, although hopefully Epperson has more lbs and strength next year. Remember, Maric is a really experienced and physical big man who is 4 year older or so than Epperson. He's just a bad matchup all around, and if the refs are iffy with their calls it puts us into a lot of trouble

Hegner's really the only solid post defender we have. Suarez put together some good minutes, but he's normally fouling out with the time he played last night
Chicagojayfan

Postby ictjay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:54 am

If they work, players improve/mature. We have some talented youngsters that are beginning to understand the Creighton Culture around the program and will be dramatically better as time goes on.
We have guys the bluebloods wanted. And more are coming Chill.

Marcus Zegarowski is a true point guard. His "final 4" were Creighton, Ohio St Minnesota and Washington. Seton Hall, Arizona St etc made offers.
ictjay

Postby #RollJays » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Marcus Foster is ranked 4th in conference in scoring but only 31st in free throw attempts. You don't see that very often. It would be nice to see what type of numbers he would put up if they actually called fouls for him. The 3 guys ahead of him in scoring are all in the top 13 for free throw attempts.
#RollJays

Postby drbluejay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I love this team more and more each game they play. Depaul played a very good game and the Jays still found a way to win.
At last look yesterday, all of Creighton's losses this year have come against teams in the top 72 RPI.
Not many teams can say that, not even #1 Nova.

Actually Nova still can say that, too, as St. John's has inexplicably jumped over 40 spots in 2 games..in February.. up to #70 in the RPI. That's one of the biggest jumps I've ever seen from a team this late in the year in a week. It helps if they can stay in the Top 75 for us to get us a Group 1 win. Our Group 1 win total is really volatile:

Group 1 wins:
@St. John's (+5) at 70
Seton Hall (+3) at 27
Providence (+1) at 29

Group 2 wins:
Butler (-4) at 34
(N)UCLA (-7) at 57
@Northwestern (-8) at 83
Nebraska (-25) at 55
@St. John's (-40) at 70

It's good that Butler UCLA and Northwestern are so close to getting into that Group 1 win status for the Jays, but it's a little concerning that our best Group 1 win in terms of safety is @St. John's who is the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde team. We definitely need 2 of 4 against Nova,X,@Butler,@Marq as those Group 1 wins would be much more stable.

I'll be cheering hard for UCLA @ Zona tonight.

My mistake, I didn't realize St. John's was so high in RPI.
drbluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops