DePaul Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: DePaul Game Thread

Postby cu8493 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:31 pm

I wonder if some of Manny's improved play was due to him knowing that this is really important and not just garbage time in the last minutes of a blow out win or loss, and maybe they prepped him a little before the game to be ready if they get into trouble with Maric. He just seemed to have a different level of focus than other games. I wasn't as upset as many with him taking that shot - and he didn't miss it as badly as some shots we saw last night - except that he took it like 12 seconds into the shot clock. Had we been in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock, fine. But, a big part of that is not having been in that situation this year where you have to keep in mind time and score. I think we will need him again, and I doubt he makes the same mistake -- although I don't doubt he would shoot again left that open if the score clock is under 7 or 8 seconds.
cu8493

Postby Jet915 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 pm

cu8493 wrote:I wonder if some of Manny's improved play was due to him knowing that this is really important and not just garbage time in the last minutes of a blow out win or loss, and maybe they prepped him a little before the game to be ready if they get into trouble with Maric. He just seemed to have a different level of focus than other games. I wasn't as upset as many with him taking that shot - and he didn't miss it as badly as some shots we saw last night - except that he took it like 12 seconds into the shot clock. Had we been in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock, fine. But, a big part of that is not having been in that situation this year where you have to keep in mind time and score. I think we will need him again, and I doubt he makes the same mistake -- although I don't doubt he would shoot again left that open if the score clock is under 7 or 8 seconds.

Manny played well cause he was against a similar player in Maric. Big slow back to the basket guy. It was a good matchup for him.
Jet915

Postby ictjay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 pm

+1
ictjay

Postby Polyfro » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Here's the Morning After. What more can you say other than...Marcus F'ing Foster. Damn.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/morning-a ... aul-76-75/
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby Dundee Hipster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Polyfro wrote:Here's the Morning After. What more can you say other than...Marcus F'ing Foster. Damn.

I look forward to these every time after a win.
Dundee Hipster

Postby SDJay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Polyfro wrote:Here's the Morning After. What more can you say other than...Marcus F'ing Foster. Damn.

As usual, awesome job!
" That rug really tied the room together, did it not?"
SDJay

Postby JayPak » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 pm

cujaysfan wrote:the last two defensive game plans have been a little baffling

Does that mean it was a poor scout?
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby JayPak » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:46 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
The PG defense was bad too, but that isn’t why TC had to come in and play extended minutes. I truly can’t remember PG play this bad at Creighton since the Rick Johnson era. It isn’t mediocre; it’s horrible.

Agreed, which leads to a new question. How does this year‘s parade of point guards compare to Jason Bey?
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby JayPak » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:52 pm

shadow wrote:For the 100th time, the staff needs to abandon their stubbornness and release Kaleb into the damn lineup ! "12" points last time out ! It's soooooo obvious the other
guards don't have the moxie! Not only are the other guards NOT getting better, they are getting worse! Do we have no point guard coaches ? At least when he drives if he doesn't make the shot, he gets fouled AND sinks them !

We get it, you love Mac’s coaching almost as much as you love Ed Servais.
JayPak

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 pm

JayPak wrote:
cujaysfan wrote:the last two defensive game plans have been a little baffling

Does that mean it was a poor scout?

We've been putting a lot of pressure on Hegner to play D and to stay out of foul trouble, particularly without Martin able to play.
I think our best configuration is to play him the opposing center solo and force teams to beat us one on one with only a bit of help here and there.

Mirac is a tough guy to play solo (he''s a crafty post player who is big and physical), and the way the game was called made it really difficult for Hegner last night. I might have liked to see us bring more help for him, even if it was a delayed run at him after he caught the ball. Have Hegner work to keep him off the block and then bring some help if and when he got the ball.

We didn't seem to have practiced that much as we looked pretty bad at it when Epps was in, but that may have been his inexperience.

I think the foul calls had a big impact on our defensive (and offensive) game plan. Doesn't help that our PG play was poor and allowed the ball to stick a lot
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops