Xavier Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Xavier Game Thread

Postby section221jay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:45 pm

I get why Mac responded...probably best if he hadn't though. Maybe it's Deren's former player status that elicited the response from Mac? Would he have responded to Nayatawa that way?

This loss still sucks and yes the ref is a douche. But I still can't get it out of my head that had Mac not called time out after Ronnie's FT I am virtually certain CU wins....or loses on a really tough shot. Gooden knew exactly what he was supposed to do...bee line for the rim. Would he have had that certainty without the TO? Or would he have been looking for their stud...Bluiett? Would the smallest amount of indecision have made the difference? Would that initial pick have been set? 100% of the time, if the other team doesn't have a TO....I'm taking my chances. Ironic, but in hindsight I wish Ronnie would have missed the 3rd shot.

So many ifs....
section221jay

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm

yeah - that looks like something where Mac coulda DM'd brody instead - and they could have cleaned it up offline.

on the one hand - Mac is great with the media - and they all seem to have a great relationship

but - he also probably doesn't get a lot of pointed tough questions either
cujaysfan

Postby 3ontheway » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Leave the twitter spats to Trump, just try to focus on how to finish strong and win tourney games, that is all this fan asks.

Jay Nation is all on your team Coach!!!
3ontheway

Postby Eye of the Jay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Eh it’s fine. I don’t think anyone was blaming Davion for slipping and Brody probably shouldn’t have come out and said it. Mac should shoulder the blame though (even though it wasn’t his fault for the horrendous call) as you gotta make sure everyone knows to keep them in front of you and go behind screens since then it’s a jump shot.
Eye of the Jay

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm

cujaysfan wrote:on the one hand - Mac is great with the media - and they all seem to have a great relationship

but - he also probably doesn't get a lot of pointed tough questions either

This has been brought up in Omaha radio before (sharp and benning), how he is a nice guy but at the same time he doesn't get much questioning that would be deemed as tough.

It was an odd responsive to Brody. I certainly wouldn't have expected him to respond to it. But I don't think it's a big deal at all. Just something we're not accustomed to seeing.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 20
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby CPJays » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:34 pm

I have no problem with Mac standing up for his guy, especially one that probably needs as much confidence as anyone. Brody didn't do anything wrong tho, media guys aren't going to pump sunshine 24/7.
CPJays

Postby mredle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:53 pm

McDermott needs no advice from this group. Not in coaching this team, managing and developing a program or in being a class act. My bet would be that Brody, having been on the Creighton team and in the program, understands exactly why Mac tweeted what he did. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that Brody agreed and regretted saying what he said in the way that he said it.
mredle

Postby ictjay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Everyone has a "woulda, coulda". It was a fluke deal. Deren should know better than calling out and blaming a player by name. Shame on him. Sure he doesn't want fans rehashing his junior and senior years that resulted in 2 of the biggest choke jobs in Bluejay history.
ictjay

Postby OKBluejay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm

section221jay wrote:I get why Mac responded...probably best if he hadn't though. Maybe it's Deren's former player status that elicited the response from Mac? Would he have responded to Nayatawa that way?

This loss still sucks and yes the ref is a douche. But I still can't get it out of my head that had Mac not called time out after Ronnie's FT I am virtually certain CU wins....or loses on a really tough shot. Gooden knew exactly what he was supposed to do...bee line for the rim. Would he have had that certainty without the TO? Or would he have been looking for their stud...Bluiett? Would the smallest amount of indecision have made the difference? Would that initial pick have been set? 100% of the time, if the other team doesn't have a TO....I'm taking my chances. Ironic, but in hindsight I wish Ronnie would have missed the 3rd shot.

So many ifs....

Xavier called their last timeout after Ronnie's first free throw, so I am sure they had an out-of-bounds play already set up, whether or not Creighton called timeout after the last free throw.
OKBluejay

Postby jayball » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 am

Lots of clucking hens here. I don’t see Brody’s tweet or coaches response as a big deal.

Brady made an observation

Coach defended a current player.

End scene.
jayball

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops