Switch to full style
Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!
Post a reply

Re: Xavier Game Thread

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Here's the Highlight Reel for the Xavier game.

As usual, all of the Jays’ made baskets are included. But in this one, for the controversial final moments, we’ve included both FOX’s call and the Bluejay Radio Network call. Whether you prefer Tim Brando’s “Wow” or John Bishop’s repetitive-yet-amazing “THAT IS NOT A FOUL!”, Len Elmore’s “Are you kidding me?” or Brody Deren’s “Oh my goodness!”…the choice is yours.

I prefer Bishop/Deren's incredulous disbelief, because that's exactly how Jays fans felt. John's "Evon Burroughs, you blew it!" is particularly cathartic.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/highlight ... ier-72-71/

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 pm

In the postgame you also got a "Evon Burroughs should donate his paycheck to charity because he didn't earn it today."

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Dundee Hipster wrote:Anybody else hate it when coaches/athletes bring their children in post-game press conferences? This sounds very old man-ish and stupid, but I feel like it really is designed to alleviate tough questioning. Chris Mack bringing his daughter into the post-game presser was a joke.

McDermott brought his son to some post-game press conferences not too long ago, but I, for one, was okay with it.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Dundee Hipster wrote:Anybody else hate it when coaches/athletes bring their children in post-game press conferences? This sounds very old man-ish and stupid, but I feel like it really is designed to alleviate tough questioning. Chris Mack bringing his daughter into the post-game presser was a joke.

McDermott brought his son to some post-game press conferences not too long ago, but I, for one, was okay with it.

That's funny stuff, right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol:

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:34 am

Jays energized after latest close call against an elite team

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 29ee0.html

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 am

From OWH piece cited above.

Forget the controversial final foul call, junior Ronnie Harrell said. Creighton battled for 40 minutes against a top-five team — Xavier moved up to No. 4 in the Associated Press Top 25 on Monday. CU could have won Saturday. Maybe should have won.

“If we strap it up, lock in, play with intensity and do everything we’re supposed to do — we can play with anybody in the country,” Harrell said. “It stinks to lose that way, but you’ve got to take the good from it. And the good is, we’re right there.”

Good thing Ronnie didn’t read this game thread.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 am

I still blame Big Fox. And I can't believe Nova will be on Big Fox. Looking for a Brunson voodoo doll and some incense. Gotta find a way to break the curse.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 am

Polyfro wrote:Here's the Highlight Reel for the Xavier game.

As usual, all of the Jays’ made baskets are included. But in this one, for the controversial final moments, we’ve included both FOX’s call and the Bluejay Radio Network call. Whether you prefer Tim Brando’s “Wow” or John Bishop’s repetitive-yet-amazing “THAT IS NOT A FOUL!”, Len Elmore’s “Are you kidding me?” or Brody Deren’s “Oh my goodness!”…the choice is yours.

I prefer Bishop/Deren's incredulous disbelief, because that's exactly how Jays fans felt. John's "Evon Burroughs, you blew it!" is particularly cathartic.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/highlight ... ier-72-71/

If you watch Tyshon's layup at the 13:01 mark in the first half (1:29 on this video) you can see a play very similar to the last play of the game. He drives to the hoop and there is a little contact, but the defender is going straigh up. Definitely more contact than Ronnie at the end of the game, and in this case, no call.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am

An interesting exchange I saw last night on Twitter:

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 am

I thought this was one of Mac’s better coached games. I agreed with the timeout at the end to apply the scout. Still, Ballock should’ve been subbed for Mintz, who is the poorest defender among guards. Even Alexander, who can’t stop drivers in the lane, is a better open floor defender than Mintz.
Further, the final timeout should’ve been used to ice Goodin. Look at what Ronnie overcame. Before his first free throw, Macura moved across the lane. Before the second, X was granted a timeout with the ball already in Ronnie’s hands. Before the third, X disrupted Ronnie’s timing with a substitution. I wish Mac would try some of this gamesmanship. And props to Ronnie for maintaining his composure.
I figured with the disadvantages inside, Creighton would need to shoot 50% from 3 to win. We defended so well in the second half, and caught Xavier on a rare cold shooting day, that we still almost won, despite shooting less than 33%. Credit the team and staff are working their butts off. Still, the final play was disappointing in more ways than one.
Post a reply