bluejayfan00

Re: Xavier Game Thread

Postby Dundee Hipster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 am

Mac comes off bad there IMO
Dundee Hipster

Postby mannygakou » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Dundee Hipster wrote:Mac comes off bad there IMO

maybe I'm reading it differently, but he's defending his players and removing doubt of who did what wrong. that said, I can see the benefit of not chiming in and moving on to bemjimi or whatever.
mannygakou

Postby jfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm still in the blame the ref mode. If he doesn't make that call, who went where on the play doesn't really matter! In last nights Texas v Baylor OT game, Texas was down 1 and the clock was running down. A Texas player dribbled into the lane and put up the shot and was bumped hard simultaneously with the shot. There was no call, the shot missed and the game was over. That is what you see the vast majority of the time unless there is an obvious knock to the ground type of foul or a raking of the arm. The game was at Texas!
jfan

Postby fritzpointer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm

The only difference is that the Texas player didn't travel before he shot. The X player did. Any of the three officials should have made that call.
fritzpointer

Postby CU Final Four » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Agree 100% with Mac. No one player or coach lost that game. We missed 23 three point shots.

Very surprised about Brody’s take but maybe he is now in full media mode of creating grist for the social media mill. I suppose someone could go back at all of his games and pin every single loss on Deren.

Basketball is a team game. It is not golf.
I love Creighton basketball. Yes, I do. I love Creighton. How about you?

“ignorance is bliss; truly bliss.” Creighton professor Ron Volkmer.
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby mredle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Mac is an excellent coach.
mredle

Postby Hunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm a big Mac supporter but this comes off as a bit sensitive to me.

Brody, to my knowledge, does not have an official relationship with the university. I understand he is a former player and student but I doubt he is being paid to do color on the radio for five games a year. He's basically now a fan who gets to do the radio when Bahe is called elsewhere. He's volunteering his time. As a former player, the guy is entitled to his opinion. I didn't even take that as criticism. That is what happened on the final play. It was simply an observation. There was nothing about his statement that could be taken as negative or pointing the finger.

Also, if you've ever met Brody, I don't think anything that guy says could be construed as intentionally negative.
Hunter

Postby Old MVC Days » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Mac telling Brody Deren how to think and act. No bueno.

Settle down coach. Maybe develop a point guard.

It'll be interesting to listen to tonight's post-game.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Hunter wrote:I'm a big Mac supporter but this comes off as a bit sensitive to me.

Brody, to my knowledge, does not have an official relationship with the university. I understand he is a former player and student but I doubt he is being paid to do color on the radio for five games a year. He's basically now a fan who gets to do the radio when Bahe is called elsewhere. He's volunteering his time. As a former player, the guy is entitled to his opinion. I didn't even take that as criticism. That is what happened on the final play. It was simply an observation. There was nothing about his statement that could be taken as negative or pointing the finger.

Also, if you've ever met Brody, I don't think anything that guy says could be construed as intentionally negative.

I think this is just Mac publicly standing up for one of his guys and doubt there's hard feelings either way. Everyone knows Davion should have gone over the screen, but Mac might have questioned the need to tweet about it. Brody does color and goes to practice, so he does have some institutional standing and Mac might have wanted to make clear that Davion wasn't the fall guy within the program. Whatever, not a big deal imo.
Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops