Final Possession With Ball

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

In general, what would you like coach to do?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Call timeout and set play to rim
Call timeout and set for jumper
No timeout, run normal offense
No timeout, clear out as usual
Total votes : 36

Re: Final Possession With Ball

Postby 3ontheway » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:13 pm

I have no problem with letting MF go one on one. Just started too late from too far away. Would prefer a drive to the basket, but with him hardly ever getting calls understand why he was probably trying to get free for clean look at a 3 pointer.

Postby cu8493 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm

No problem with not calling timeout any time you have more than 5 or 6 seconds once you inbound the ball. Less than that, you probably need to dial up something that can get the ball past half court in a hurry. But, IMO, anytime you are tied and have the last shot in an open court, scrambling defense situation and enough time, GO TO THE HOLE. Hit a pull up 8-10 footer if you have to, but don't settle for a step back three or long two off a cross-over dribble. Even if he hadn't fumbled the ball, that's a lower % shot, and you don't need to take the low percentage shot with the game tied (or even down one). My bigger issue is that we don't seem to have a game plan for time and score. If that is the game plan, sure he'll make some, but we will miss it more often than not.

Postby mredle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm

cufan wrote:Damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

Personally, I’m always a fan of a time-out and set play. Advantage to offense in a set play scenario in my opinion. However, I understand reasoning behind no timeout.

It is a perfect question for this group because there is no right answer. However for the Mac haters that will claim that was a blunder, I will point out that you tout how Ed Cooley has Mac's number and is a far superior coach. So if that is true saying Mac made the wrong call and should have used a TO and set something up: that would mean giving the far superior coach a chance to instruct his team, identify strategy (beyond "guard the hell out of Foster and deny him the ball" which is what they did) and remind his team of CU's tendencies. Mac's approach denied them that opportunity.

Return to Men's Hoops