R.I. Job

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: R.I. Job

Postby LJay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Everyone should cheer for our assistants landing head coaching gigs. No greater compliment to the program and helps attract top flight replacements.
75 - 65
LJay

Postby JayPak » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 pm

A great example of having assistants get promoted and experience success is Creighton volleyball. Program has lost a bunch of paid and grad assistants in recent years. There’s been a steady trend of the new hires coming in with more experience at higher levels.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby fritzpointer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Sounds like it's a done deal Hurley going to Pitt or UConn. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby Angry Dan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:Preston will get the RI job, we will miss him sorely. Mac, with Bishop and Z and Ballock, has been doing better recruiting regionally, but we need an East Coast presence like Murphy. To be honest whatever and whoever we've had hasn't gotten us up to power program talent after 5 years so my expectations are low. Ras and Mac both wanted to stay in the Mo Valley but it was Lannon who got us to the promised land (thank God) so we prolly need the people at the top to start showing an actual desire to become a power program... but when both the AD and HC want mid-major competition while depositing a power league check I'm sadly pessimistic. Many programs are stuck in this sad situation for generations so we might be F---ed. At least the Blue Crew gets to be on national television twice a week. I'm sure their parents are loving it.

Where did you hear that Mac and Raz wanted to stay in the Mo Valley?
Angry Dan

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am

I read stuff like WB77 and marvel at the degree to which people have lost their minds over this.
HandDownManDown

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:23 pm

I hope Coach Murphy gets an interview for the RI job. He has history there and served well, including a short stint as acting or interim HC there. However, much depends on what that university is looking for in a replacement for Hurley. They may try for a more experienced guy or a 'name' guy. They may have a current asst. 'earmarked' for promotion? Hurley may like his job and want to complete his build there. The URI administration will sweeten his money pot. Hurley may not like all of the issues/problems associated with Pitt and UConn. Other criteria may factor in.

In one of the many articles on Penny to Memphis, it was noted that coaches returning to alma maters generally don't do well. Yes there are always exceptions, but the story line was that Penny Hardaway is probably in over his head. Perhaps the URI selection folks will give consideration to that trend.

In any event Murph should take the interview and hope for an offer. Either way he can bolster his resume and continue on in his career. It is my hope that he remains with the Jays.

LE: Arizona's Sean Miller has expressed interest in the Pitt job as of a report this morning. Miller denies the report.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt ... 1521651834

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... y-contract
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Angry Dan wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:Preston will get the RI job, we will miss him sorely. Mac, with Bishop and Z and Ballock, has been doing better recruiting regionally, but we need an East Coast presence like Murphy. To be honest whatever and whoever we've had hasn't gotten us up to power program talent after 5 years so my expectations are low. Ras and Mac both wanted to stay in the Mo Valley but it was Lannon who got us to the promised land (thank God) so we prolly need the people at the top to start showing an actual desire to become a power program... but when both the AD and HC want mid-major competition while depositing a power league check I'm sadly pessimistic. Many programs are stuck in this sad situation for generations so we might be F---ed. At least the Blue Crew gets to be on national television twice a week. I'm sure their parents are loving it.

Where did you hear that Mac and Raz wanted to stay in the Mo Valley?

Several interviews and articles at the time.

Several interviews from that time, this one isn’t the one I’m thinking of, but it drops hints Ras was just following Lannon all the way to the promised land on this. Without Lannon we would still be in the Mo Valley:
http://www.omaha.com/news/big-east-how- ... 5a846.html

Quotes from the timeline and article, which don’t say he didn’t want to join the big east, but it was CLEARLY Lannon who drove the entire thing from the get-go, bringing a very skeptical Ras along with him:
“Rasmussen right to the end thought Creighton had little shot of making the Big East cut, believing the school was too far west. He became frustrated over the hundreds of hours of research Lannon asked the athletic department to conduct related to a possible move.”

“It appeared to Rasmussen that even if the Big East went to 12 schools, Creighton was an outsider. He admits he became frustrated with all the time his department would devote to exploring all the hypothetical scenarios.”

FRUSTRATED???
Also: McDermott had JUST gotten out of Iowa State, where he didn’t want Doug to play in the Big12, and seemed from interviews to be raving still about how a great fit Creighton and the MVC was, seemed annoyed by the whole Big East thing.

Anyone who is a real fan knows Lannon saved the program from the pits of the MVC and brought us to the big time.

FRUSTRATED? That's not how someone should feel when the best opportunity of their schools life opens up. I could use the same analogy when you meet the woman of your dreams. Do you become "frustrated" with the courtship process; buying ring, getting down on one knee, having a wedding? FUCK NO, you would run through rings of fire to marry her.

Anyway, there were other interviews. Bruce is a GOOD MAN, McDermott is a GOOD MAN, they were and still are good people for the job but I just call into question whether they are the guys to help Creighton get to the next level. If I'm wrong then GREAT! But as is often the case nice guys finish last. Like me pretty much most of the time.
whiteandblue77

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Being skeptical CU was going to get offered a spot in the Big East is not the same thing as being skeptical CU should join the Big East. Totally different things.

And I think every CU fan will agree that Lannon and Doug McDermott were the two most important people in getting us into the Big East.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby jays911 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Bruce and Mac wanted the BE from the get go. Anybody who says otherwise is an ill-informed tool.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 pm

How bout Gurly stays at RI, UCONN and PITT go fuck thrmselves, Greggggg goes to Hell and Creighton’s Preston Murphy signs four McDonalds All Americans after the two or screw is passed???? Whose with me?!?!
whiteandblue77

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops