Coach Lusk

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Lusk

Postby cidsports » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:50 am

Creighton needs to find a way to stay at full strength for the NCAA Tournament.

Dana Altman is a good coach for Oregon. But, he didn't reach the promise land of a Sweet 16.

The past two seasons heading into the 19th game, Creighton has had a good/great start, then a key injury.

Losing nations leader in assists at PG one season, then your true PF the next.

Creighton is projected again as a potential Top 25 team and NCAA bid winner.

McDermott hired Paul Lusk, who is a defensive minded coach and solid experience under Matt Painter, who has reached the Sweet 16 twice with Lusk on the bench.

The Jays have the right head coach. He is very solid for the program. Well respected.

Our players ultimately have to perform, which wasn't the case in Charlotte. You can lead a horse to water, ultimately, it is the horse.

Coach Mac has the program doing well and it has gained respect. A healthy and deeper team should help for a run in the NCAAs.

But, you can't lose a key reason for your success in Game 19, let alone for the Tourney.

peace
cidsports

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:10 am

savannahjay wrote:For now, Mac is in good company...Tony Bennett, Matt Painter, Mike Brey, Sean Miller, and Jamie DIxon...just off the top of my head, are all coaches who haven't been to the final four. Wonder if they have some fans douche-ing up their message boards.

milim30 wrote:Coaches that never made it the Final Four...

What if I asked a different question...How many of those coaches at least made it the Sweet Sixteen?

They've all been SS or better. But that's another story.
All fan boards have fans "douching up" their boards...it is the very nature of fanboards.
Coach has 2 more years on contract, he has time to improve. Swim or sink.

I'm expecting he will pull out a BET championship in his final year...just enough of a bargaining chip to talk of potential of
the then current team and to renegotiate a new contract. Five years in the BE is a long time with no tangible evidence of success.
No Reg Season titles, no BET titles, 2 noncon tourney titles, only 3 NCAA Ws and no 2nd weekend jaunts. Finished 2nd once (1st year)
and although tied for 3rd twice was seeded 4th and 6th in BET. 2 BET championship games, no title. Five years down, 2 to go.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby FiveStar1999 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:29 am

I hate to break it to you but Dana Altman made it to the Final Four in 2017
FiveStar1999

Postby Polyfro » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:15 am

FiveStar1999 wrote:I hate to break it to you but Dana Altman made it to the Final Four in 2017

Yep, he did, but at Oregon -- I think cidsports' point was he didn't make the S16 here.

Dana was 2-7 in the NCAA Tournament as the Jays' coach, with losses every bit as baffling as Mac's -- four times losing to a 7 seed as a 10 despite second half leads in three of them, and the loss to Central Michigan in 2003 where they were down by 20+ points most of the night. The level of restlessness on this same board by the end of his tenure was pretty similar to what it is now with Mac, and for the same reason -- lack of success in March.
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby FiveStar1999 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Polyfro - Big difference is that Mac has more superior basketball players on his roster than Altman had. Dana did the most with the talent that he had while Mac continues to underwhelm. No one expected Dana to go far in the tournament while Mac's teams were expected to go far. Dana never had a 3 seed that bowed out in the second round in such an embarrassing way. Altman never had the NPOY or players such as Foster and Patton. Something is obviously wrong with the way he prepares for tourney games and maximizes the talent that he has on his team. We don't lose heartbreakers in the tournament. CU continues to not show up and lose by 10+ in winnable games. I am a fan, but clearly frustrated by our tournament resume.
FiveStar1999

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 pm

FiveStar1999 wrote:Polyfro - Big difference is that Mac has more superior basketball players on his roster than Altman had. Dana did the most with the talent that he had while Mac continues to underwhelm. No one expected Dana to go far in the tournament while Mac's teams were expected to go far. Dana never had a 3 seed that bowed out in the second round in such an embarrassing way. Altman never had the NPOY or players such as Foster and Patton. Something is obviously wrong with the way he prepares for tourney games and maximizes the talent that he has on his team. We don't lose heartbreakers in the tournament. CU continues to not show up and lose by 10+ in winnable games. I am a fan, but clearly frustrated by our tournament resume.

in 2003, we were a 6 seed and got our asses handed to us by an 11 seed, a mid major with less talent than we had at CU. And that 2003 CU team had player that has had a longer NBA career (15 years) than any player at CU except Silas (17). (Big Ben also played 15, I believe, though I use the term "play" lightly).

and I am always fascinated when people feel the need to tell everyone they are a fan.
Savannah Jay

Postby LynchMob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:in 2003, we were a 6 seed and got our asses handed to us by an 11 seed, a mid major with less talent than we had at CU. And that 2003 CU team had player that has had a longer NBA career (15 years) than any player at CU except Silas (17). (Big Ben also played 15, I believe, though I use the term "play" lightly).

and I am always fascinated when people feel the need to tell everyone they are a fan.

Nothing you said argues against anything FiveStar said. Dana had some decent teams, but Mac has had two teams that were ranked ahead of that team's peak. No one would seriously look at the 2003 CU team and think they had more talent than 4 of Mac's teams (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018). They played above their talent level because Altman is a damn good coach.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:59 pm

LynchMob wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:in 2003, we were a 6 seed and got our asses handed to us by an 11 seed, a mid major with less talent than we had at CU. And that 2003 CU team had player that has had a longer NBA career (15 years) than any player at CU except Silas (17). (Big Ben also played 15, I believe, though I use the term "play" lightly).

Nothing you said argues against anything FiveStar said. Dana had some decent teams, but Mac has had two teams that were ranked ahead of that team's peak. No one would seriously look at the 2003 CU team and think they had more talent than 4 of Mac's teams (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018). They played above their talent level because Altman is a damn good coach.

My point was the 2003 Creighton team had far more talent than the Central Michigan team that embarrassed us in the tournament that year.
Savannah Jay

Postby cu8493 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Actually, 2003 Central Michigan had Chris Kaman, a 7 footer who averaged 23 and 12 a game, was the 6th pick in the NBA draft that year and played up until a year or two ago in the NBA. They also had Mike Manciel, who was heads and shoulders more athletic than anyone on our team. We had no one who could slow him down (29 pts, 8 rbs, 3 steals). We could not handle the quickness of their defenders (21 turnovers - 6 by Funk, 5 by Korver, 4 by McKinney). And they had a good supporting cast around those two, most of whom were more athletic than our guys like Lindeman, McKinney, Dabbert, Funk, etc. We had good team players, we did not have anywhere near CMU's athleticism. As I recall, much like Rhode Island game, they were the flavor of the day nationally to upset Creighton going into that game. They absolutely did not have less talent than we had on the roster that year. I will give you that we did play uncharacteristically poorly until blowing back to get within 4 I think from 20 something down before faltering again down the stretch.
cu8493

Postby jays911 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:38 pm

cu8493 wrote:Actually, 2003 Central Michigan had Chris Kaman, a 7 footer who averaged 23 and 12 a game, was the 6th pick in the NBA draft that year and played up until a year or two ago in the NBA. They also had Mike Manciel, who was heads and shoulders more athletic than anyone on our team. We had no one who could slow him down (29 pts, 8 rbs, 3 steals). We could not handle the quickness of their defenders (21 turnovers - 6 by Funk, 5 by Korver, 4 by McKinney). And they had a good supporting cast around those two, most of whom were more athletic than our guys like Lindeman, McKinney, Dabbert, Funk, etc. We had good team players, we did not have anywhere near CMU's athleticism. As I recall, much like Rhode Island game, they were the flavor of the day nationally to upset Creighton going into that game. They absolutely did not have less talent than we had on the roster that year. I will give you that we did play uncharacteristically poorly until blowing back to get within 4 I think from 20 something down before faltering again down the stretch.

You're right. I was there. I think we were within two when Dabbert mishandled the pass. A big lost opportunity.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops