Coach Lusk

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Lusk

Postby Altman's Advisor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 pm

LynchMob wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:in 2003, we were a 6 seed and got our asses handed to us by an 11 seed, a mid major with less talent than we had at CU. And that 2003 CU team had player that has had a longer NBA career (15 years) than any player at CU except Silas (17). (Big Ben also played 15, I believe, though I use the term "play" lightly).

and I am always fascinated when people feel the need to tell everyone they are a fan.


Nothing you said argues against anything FiveStar said. Dana had some decent teams, but Mac has had two teams that were ranked ahead of that team's peak. No one would seriously look at the 2003 CU team and think they had more talent than 4 of Mac's teams (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018). They played above their talent level because Altman is a damn good coach.

If talent was the only thing you needed then Duke would be undefeated two years running with a third straight unblemished season coming up. Anyone who believes that 02-03 squad would be overmatched by anything Creighton has produced since has a more than questionable ability to analyze this game. That group had four losses heading into the NCAA Tournament, all by single digits. And they were fully healthy. The deck was stacked in their favor and they got rolled in round one. Don’t rewrite history just to slam Mac for blocking you on Twitter.
Altman's Advisor
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

 

Re: Coach Lusk

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:04 pm

cu8493 wrote:Actually, 2003 Central Michigan had Chris Kaman, a 7 footer who averaged 23 and 12 a game, was the 6th pick in the NBA draft that year and played up until a year or two ago in the NBA. They also had Mike Manciel, who was heads and shoulders more athletic than anyone on our team. We had no one who could slow him down (29 pts, 8 rbs, 3 steals). We could not handle the quickness of their defenders (21 turnovers - 6 by Funk, 5 by Korver, 4 by McKinney). And they had a good supporting cast around those two, most of whom were more athletic than our guys like Lindeman, McKinney, Dabbert, Funk, etc. We had good team players, we did not have anywhere near CMU's athleticism. As I recall, much like Rhode Island game, they were the flavor of the day nationally to upset Creighton going into that game. They absolutely did not have less talent than we had on the roster that year. I will give you that we did play uncharacteristically poorly until blowing back to get within 4 I think from 20 something down before faltering again down the stretch.


Kaman was picked that high and stayed in the NBA because he was tall and not totally clumsy. He scored all of 12 points and grabbed 6 rebounds against us, in spite of the fact that he was by far the largest human on the court that day. So we got schooled by some dude named Mike Manciel... who averaged 13 points a game for his college career and 16.6 a game his senior year, and he got 29 against us...which is exactly the kind of thing the naysayers would rag on McDermott about...some guy going off on a career night against us.

Funny you brought up Rhode Island. When Jays lost, McDermott got outcoached. But when Altman lost to Central Michigan and someone no one heard of before or since has a career night, it was because they were more athletic. Got it.
Savannah Jay
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Coach Lusk

Postby Bluejoe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:20 pm

LynchMob wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:in 2003, we were a 6 seed and got our asses handed to us by an 11 seed, a mid major with less talent than we had at CU. And that 2003 CU team had player that has had a longer NBA career (15 years) than any player at CU except Silas (17). (Big Ben also played 15, I believe, though I use the term "play" lightly).

and I am always fascinated when people feel the need to tell everyone they are a fan.


Nothing you said argues against anything FiveStar said. Dana had some decent teams, but Mac has had two teams that were ranked ahead of that team's peak. No one would seriously look at the 2003 CU team and think they had more talent than 4 of Mac's teams (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018). They played above their talent level because Altman is a damn good coach.

2003 team peaked at #9, didn't they? Mac had a team peak at #7, I believe. Then lost a PG and fizzled out.

Are we really critiquing Mac for having better players than Dana but losing?

Mac has been here for 8 years and we have gone to 5 tourneys in that span. year 1 and year 5 could be thrown out in my opinion. He has also won 3 tournament games. He has taken us to higher levels than we previous thought we could get to. I am disappointed in the way the past two years ended and want a Sweet 16 so bad, but think we have the right guy in place.

March is fluky sometimes. Michigan made it to the Championship, yet shouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round.
User avatar
Bluejoe
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:22 am

Re: Coach Lusk

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
Kaman was picked that high and stayed in the NBA because he was tall and not totally clumsy.


While not the point of this debate, I must say I disagree with this. He AVERAGED double figures over a lengthy 13-year career. He was an NBA All Star. He was a solid NBA player, not some tall stiff filling out a roster.

He also had his testicles forcefully grabbed in a playoff game. So, back off the Kaman bashing. 8-)
User avatar
vivid_dude
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Coach Lusk

Postby FiveStar1999 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:01 pm

My point was the 2003 Creighton team had far more talent than the Central Michigan team that embarrassed us in the tournament that year.


I'm confused. Is Savannah Jay saying that Mac isn't getting a fair shake given Altman's resume at CU? Fair point that Altman never got out of the Round of 32 at CU but he did after he departed. Altman's resume includes a Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, two tournament berths and a CBI championship since he departed in 2010. He's indisputably the best coach in the Pac 12. Better than Alford, Enfield, etc. I don't think Mac does the same thing at Oregon with the same talent. Altman's in-game strategy is so much more favorable than Mac's.

Sure Mac got struck with bad luck at CU. I really believe a Watson-led 2016 team would've accomplished at least a S16 berth, but good coaches overcome bumps in the road. Look at what Boeheim has done in the tournament with so little. My point is that a Mac-led program will be mediocre. Who would you rather have (and I'm just picking some random names)? Eric Musselman, Tubby Smith, Dana Altman (in the Big East) or Mac?
Last edited by FiveStar1999 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FiveStar1999
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:23 am

Re: Coach Lusk

Postby BostonBlueJay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:58 pm

ictjay wrote:
National pundits such as CJ Moore, who knows basketball, say it was a great hire. Good enough for me. Trained under some great defensive coaches. Mo St athletic dept is a mess. Wont hold that against him.


This. +1
User avatar
BostonBlueJay
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests