Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Ronnie Harrell transferring

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:08 pm

he makes CUFF look sane
cujaysfan

Postby cufan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Love Ronnie’s hustle and his dedication to the program. Most people would have understood if he transferred a few years ago. For whatever reason, Mac just never took the reigns off of him.

However, I’m in the boat that this isn’t a huge loss. Ronnie played 25 minutes per game and averaged 7/6/3. That production should be relatively easy to replace, save for a rebound or two.
cufan

Postby mredle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 pm

cufan wrote:game and averaged 7/6/3. That production should be relatively easy to replace, save for a rebound or two.

The 2013-14 team had a player that averaged 26 minutes a game 7points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists, Grant Gibbs. The value a player brings to a basketball team isn't measured only by statistics.
mredle

Postby Angry Dan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:20 pm

I think there are two big factors in Ronnie's decision; He will get to handle the ball more in Denver than at CU and he gets to play for his cousin in front of his hometown family and friends.

Mac can relate. He persuaded Ben Jacobsen to release Doug from his letter of intent to UNI when he wanted Doug at CU and Doug wanted to go to CU.
Angry Dan

Postby KenoshaJay » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm

LynchMob wrote:
Claims that Ronnie didn't give it his all are a combination of baseless rumor and some racial animus.

You need to smoke more of the stuff that you sell. An embarrassment to the Message Board. Go away, CUFF2.
KenoshaJay

Postby go_jays » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:56 pm

ictjay wrote:If Ballock/Jays can duplicate their effort vs Nova (without Ronnie) who cares. LOL.

Yeah, we beat Nova because Mitch played the 4 that night... Played 43 minutes, scored 13 points and grabbed 6 rebounds. Just like when we lost to K-State when he played 32 minutes, scored 16 points and grabbed 8 rebounds.

So when Mitch plays the 4, we win... errrr... we lose...errr...

C'mon, man. You been smokin' too much wacky weed with Jerry. ;)
go_jays

Postby cufan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:04 pm

mredle wrote:
cufan wrote:game and averaged 7/6/3. That production should be relatively easy to replace, save for a rebound or two.

The 2013-14 team had a player that averaged 26 minutes a game 7points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists, Grant Gibbs. The value a player brings to a basketball team isn't measured only by statistics.

You and I clearly disagree on how important Gibbs was to the 13-14 team. I actually think we was holding the team back later in the year. Worst college defender I have ever seen.
cufan

Postby LynchMob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 am

Still waiting on any real source that says Ronnie didn't give effort off the court. Your uncle telling you that's the only reason he can think of that a guy who 'looks like that' isn't playing doesn't count.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby AttyAlum » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 am

go_jays wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:Ballock's game log is pretty eye popping also when you look at the end of the season.
last six game - 34 minutes, 9.7 pts, 5.3 rebounds, 2.7 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover, .417/.381/.778

Part of why Ronnie is leaving is that Ballock is a similar player who is better situated to get better and to get those minutes next year.

That is certainly a valid viewpoint. But what this really boils down to, IMO...

Is Harrell a 1, 2, 3 or 4?

Ballock's offensive skillset is certainly more easily identifiable/definable. But I do worry about his ability to defend the perimeter... and because of that, it's not so easily identifiable on that side of the ball. Hopefully, the staff has a better handle on that.

Let's hope (at least I hope) that Ballock does not have to play the 4 except in situations where Mac wants to go small... or in an emergency. While I love Mitch Ballock as a player, I don't LOVE him at the 4... at least long-term.

For what it is worth, Mitch did appear to be a much better defender than Ronnie, despite the size difference. Defense has a lot to do with want to.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby ictjay » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 am

True AttyAlum. Also, people keep getting hung up on who is a 4 or a 5 etc. Watch Nova, KU, Loyola, etc. Its about having 6-7 guys that share the ball, play D, and exploit matchups better than their opponents. Pretty simple if you can put the pieces together. Mac needs to instill that tough love.
ictjay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops