Ronnie Harrell transferring

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Ronnie Harrell transferring

Postby cufan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 am

Agreed. The only real positions that remain in modern basketball are the 1 and 5, and you don’t need a 5. Probably better without one, actually. You need a point guard and that’s about it from a position standpoint. All talk of is he a 2,3 or 4 is a waste of time.
cufan

Postby jayball » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 am

LJay wrote:LynchMob: Claims that Ronnie didn't give it his all are a combination of baseless rumor and some racial animus.

Dude, you are a fucking idiot.

+1

Weren’t ther multiple interviews articles over the four years that talked about Ronnie working to improve on things like being on time and maturing off the court a bit? He has talent and was a productive piece last season. He matured and earned his way into the rotation. It would have been nice to see what he could do in his 5th year and to have some more depth up front. Versatile and unique skillet for someone his size. Until last season I would argue he was sporadic in the effort department.

Seemed like a nice kid. I wish him well.

Let’s not make him into some martyr in your “hate Mac” crusade.

I enjoyed watching him grow and develop. Hope he has a great season back in Denver
jayball

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:16 am

I just saw this. And I know most programs have transfers...but this one hurts. He was improving every year and had a skillset that was unique. A high energy guy who I was hoping was finally coming into a complete player his senior year. His rebounding was important and he could handle the ball. Did not have a reliable shot or drive but if he did he would have created a matchup nightmare.
Easy to postulate on why he is leaving, there could be more to it than what has been postulated. I just hope there is any behind the scenes team disunity. We have a tough going next year without much scoring...we really need a grad transfer or juco that can help.
PhoenixBluejay

Postby ictjay » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 am

PhoenixBluejay wrote:I just saw this. And I know most programs have transfers...but this one hurts. He was improving every year and had a skillset that was unique. A high energy guy who I was hoping was finally coming into a complete player his senior year. His rebounding was important and he could handle the ball. Did not have a reliable shot or drive but if he did he would have created a matchup nightmare.
Easy to postulate on why he is leaving, there could be more to it than what has been postulated. I just hope there is any behind the scenes team disunity. We have a tough going next year without much scoring...we really need a grad transfer or juco that can help.

I'm postulating that Ronnie has always tweeted/spoke about his love for his home state and family. Implying team disunity makes me overly suspicious of your intentions here. Nothing could be further from the truth.
ictjay

Postby section221jay » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 am

cufan wrote:Agreed. The only real positions that remain in modern basketball are the 1 and 5, and you don’t need a 5. Probably better without one, actually. You need a point guard and that’s about it from a position standpoint. All talk of is he a 2,3 or 4 is a waste of time.

This is true in the sense of where guys may be on the court on offense. But you still need a "center". You still need a big forward. While those guys can play anywhere on the court Nova still had some beasts like Spellman and Paschall that could work the glass and defend other teams' big boys.
section221jay

Postby JayPak » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:17 pm

True, that. Creighton’s last Spellman/Paschall/Ochefu was Echenique but he wasn’t the same in the offensive end.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby shadow » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:45 pm

My take is too many miscues handling the ball;missing short driving push shots;fouling late along with what appears to be CU's tallest talent ever would have kept him on the reserve bench. Better point guards on the way also. Not so sure foot infection and broken wrist late didn't drop him down a notch either. Great off the bench enegizer this year...likely remain the same had he stayed IMHO.
shadow

Postby mredle » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:32 pm

shadow wrote:My take is too many miscues handling the ball;missing short driving push shots;fouling late along with what appears to be CU's tallest talent ever would have kept him on the reserve bench. Better point guards on the way also. Not so sure foot infection and broken wrist late didn't drop him down a notch either. Great off the bench enegizer this year...likely remain the same had he stayed IMHO.

I don't think Ronnie was chased off. If he was how do you explain our sudden interest in Ed Chang who we'd only shown polite interest toward and who all the people on CU sites were saying "not interested" and who all the locals say was a better prospect as a sophomore than as a senior and who may have classroom difficulties to boot.
mredle

Postby go_jays » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am

AttyAlum wrote:
go_jays wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:Ballock's game log is pretty eye popping also when you look at the end of the season.
last six game - 34 minutes, 9.7 pts, 5.3 rebounds, 2.7 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover, .417/.381/.778

Part of why Ronnie is leaving is that Ballock is a similar player who is better situated to get better and to get those minutes next year.

That is certainly a valid viewpoint. But what this really boils down to, IMO...

Is Harrell a 1, 2, 3 or 4?

Ballock's offensive skillset is certainly more easily identifiable/definable. But I do worry about his ability to defend the perimeter... and because of that, it's not so easily identifiable on that side of the ball. Hopefully, the staff has a better handle on that.

Let's hope (at least I hope) that Ballock does not have to play the 4 except in situations where Mac wants to go small... or in an emergency. While I love Mitch Ballock as a player, I don't LOVE him at the 4... at least long-term.

For what it is worth, Mitch did appear to be a much better defender than Ronnie, despite the size difference. Defense has a lot to do with want to.

Absolutely, and totally, agree about "want to". Have stated exactly that several times recently. As far as Mitch being a better defender than Harrell. I won't argue that point either way. I think it is debatable... and what it really boils down to is the match-up. Sometimes the "want to" just isn't enough... especially someone at 6'5" against someone at 6'8"-6'10"... OR, someone at 6'5" against someone 6'1-6'3". At 6'5", Mitch is kind of a tweener, in my mind. Take someone like DiVicenzo... 6'5" but quite a bit more athletic, and has the "want to" we both agree on is important... I'll take DiVicenzo.

Love Mitch. But, you really have to be careful about who you match him up against on the defensive side of the ball. Don't have the same issue when we have the ball, though.
go_jays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:09 pm

cufan wrote:Agreed. The only real positions that remain in modern basketball are the 1 and 5, and you don’t need a 5. Probably better without one, actually. You need a point guard and that’s about it from a position standpoint. All talk of is he a 2,3 or 4 is a waste of time.

Generally true, but someone who can play a bit of D on a real 5 is a necessity.
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops