Trey Alexander

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Trey Alexander

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:46 am

go_jays wrote:
#RollJays wrote:Trey is at the point now where if he shoots 35% from the field in a game, we are disappointed in his performance

Well, if he does, we SHOULD be disappointed. Maybe you mean from 3?

He's shooting 42.6% from the field (that's 7th on the team) and 28.9 % from 3 (that's also 7th on the team). He's still averaging 16 points a game. But he's got a lot of attempts to get that 16 points per game.

So, my guess is that he's very disappointed in himself. So, I see no reason we shouldn't be also.

It looks better if you break out 2 PT% from 3 PT%

2 PT% - 51.4% (excellent for a guard and the best of his career so far)
3 PT% - 28.9% (definitely lower than his career average, although he was 28.1% as a Freshman. I think this will bounce back, though)

Yes, he's taking a lot of attempts in large part because of his role on the team, but even then his TS% is 52.3

He's been remarkably consistent from 2 PT range except for the Loyola/Colorado State games. There he was 3/18 from 2 PT, but outside of that 34/54 (62.9%) and even the last 2 games, he's been 6/9 and 5/11 from 2 PT range, excellent games for a guard by about any standard from 2 PT range

As someone else noted - looking at the game log for him this year, I think he was sick against Loyola and CSU and tried to gut it out to help the team

The only place where he's gone down since last year is in 3 PT shooting percentage, really (OK, he's up slightly in turnovers), but otherwise his Points, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks have all gone upwards since last year (in actual stats and in per/40 stats as well)

Once he gets his 3 PT shooting back (and I think he will), we'll be very happy with how he's playing
Chicagojayfan

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:54 am

Let's just relax for a minute.

He might still be coming off being sick as speculated. (which I think is a possibility as everything has been coming up short for Trey so maybe he's at least than 100%).

Plus I think most defenses were seeing are designed to stop him first which may have not been the case last year.

If he's still struggling Sat, we might have a problem.

Otherwise this might be another case of Jay fan insecurity where we just gotta be unhappy about something.
cujaysfan

Postby go_jays » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:50 pm

Ok, here's the 2pt FG percentage for our guards...

Bello 86% on 6-7
Baylor 62% on 23-37
Dotzler 57% on 6-7
Trey 52% on 37-72
Ash 50% on 7-14

You guys decide. I'm out.

Edit:
Ok, I guess I'm not out... One other thought, then I'm out.

72 attempts seems like quite a few. And to me, he's become a little Kaluma-like. Forcing penetration when it's not really there sometimes. And, while he's not become "ball-stop", he does slow the ball movement down at times.

Do I think he will correct it? I think so... I certainly hope so. Anyone who's been on the board for the last 3 years know what a Trey fan I've been since the end of his frosh year when he took over for an injured Nembhard.

Go Jays!
go_jays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:23 pm

go_jays wrote:Ok, here's the 2pt FG percentage for our guards...

Bello 86% on 6-7
Baylor 62% on 23-37
Dotzler 57% on 6-7
Trey 52% on 37-72
Ash 50% on 7-14

Edit:

72 attempts seems like quite a few. And to me, he's become a little Kaluma-like. Forcing penetration when it's not really there sometimes. And, while he's not become "ball-stop", he does slow the ball movement down at times.

Do I think he will correct it? I think so... I certainly hope so. Anyone who's been on the board for the last 3 years know what a Trey fan I've been since the end of his frosh year when he took over for an injured Nembhard.

Go Jays!

Good data points, but some thoughts:

- Trey had 217 2PT shots last year, so he's on a pace to be quite a bit higher than that this year, but maybe not outrageous considering how much ballhandling he's doing, and the fact that he's taking up some of what we lost with Kaluma and Nembhard with those types of shots
- His career high from 2 PT range is .483 as a feshman and was at .475 last year, so he's actually hitting a higher % this year from 2
- The types of shots matter a lot. Bello has 6 close 2 shots, but not sure what those shots were. I suspect most were pretty obvious/easy shots that Alexander will never get given the defensive attention he gets
- Outside of Loyola/Colorado State his percentage on 2 PT shots has been great, especially considering how much of the offense he's taking on. If he avoids games like those 2, I'm perfectly happy with him taking those shots

The Loyola/Colorado St games were ugly all around for the team, but since then the ball movements been better. I think Ashworth being more aggressive gives Trey more space and the entire team is being more decisive to give him outlets when they over play him. Now if he can just start hitting a few more 3 PT shots...
Chicagojayfan

Postby BellevueJay » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:38 pm

go_jays wrote:Ok, here's the 2pt FG percentage for our guards...

Bello 86% on 6-7
Baylor 62% on 23-37
Dotzler 57% on 6-7
Trey 52% on 37-72
Ash 50% on 7-14

Edit:

Go Jays!

I know math can be tricky...but that Dotzler line seems a smidge off. :P
BellevueJay

Postby go_jays » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:44 pm

Yes, he's 4-7 not 6-7 for 57% I added the 1 to the 5 instead of subtracting the 1 from the 5. But the percentage was correct at 57%. So I think it might have been a typo? :o

FTR... I graded out in the 98% percentile in Math when taking the aptitude tests at Prep. And got a 92 in Calculus my senior year. But yes, that was a brain fart. :geek: :D
go_jays

Postby drbluejay » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:16 am

What has happened to Trey?
First 4 games stats vs last 8 games stats
FG's, (31-55) 56% vs (38-111) 34%
3's, (8-21) 38% vs (8-36) 22%
FT's, (14-14) 100% vs (18-28) 64%
Maybe my eyes are bad but it appears to me that Trey has lost weight from last year.
drbluejay

Postby Trifecta » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:58 pm

Better competition happened for one
Trifecta

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:07 pm

Trey had made a point of some emphatic dunks early on.

Nothing lately. Sick? Legs gone due to heavy minutes? Better competition?

Was great to see Trey play well Saturday against Alabama and we sure needed him - but he's definitely been up and down in the non con despite my hope that it had only been sickness.
cujaysfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:41 pm

What's really strange about the offense is that it's mostly been great, but with 3 down games that were the 3 losses so far.

Alexander's mirrored that as well but with a more extended downturn that started in the Loyola game, but he has had a couple of good games in the mix since then as well - Oklahoma State and Alabama, and even last night he did start to get things going in OT

At least in the Loyola and Colorado ST losses, he looked like he had caught an illness to me, but it's been going on a while now. I'm sure some of it just an adjustment to being the PG more and to what teams have been trying to do to slow him down. One of the difficult things to do is to build the reps to take on what teams throw at you and then adjust.

On the plus side, we have 10 days to work in house and figure things out. If he's been sick, he'll have time to recover
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops