Re: Trey Alexander

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon May 15, 2023 1:58 pm

cujaysfan wrote:and yet it happens more often than you think

Care to elaborate?
JacobPadilla

Postby cujaysfan » Mon May 15, 2023 2:14 pm

Oh man.

A million years ago I worked in the CBA. Lot of guys had stories like that.

"Boston promised me they were going to take me at 20 but didn't..."

I'd say most at that level were pretty jaded about the draft and business of professional basketball after landing down a level. Not bad guys or necessarily bitter, but more eyes opened about it.
cujaysfan

Postby slaw » Mon May 15, 2023 2:43 pm

What's Plan B if Trey leaves?

Add a grad transfer scorer to start? like RayJ Dennis, roll with J Lawson or promote Farabello?
slaw

Postby LJay » Mon May 15, 2023 3:38 pm

slaw wrote:What's Plan B if Trey leaves?

Add a grad transfer scorer to start? like RayJ Dennis, roll with J Lawson or promote Farabello?

Baylor at the 2? Miller at the 3? Traudt at the 4?
89 - 60
LJay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:02 am

Sorry if this has alreadt been posted, but Joel Lorenzi from OWH tweeted that the latest he's heard on Trey is that he's weighing potential two-way options, would be a second round pick
bluejayfan00

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue May 30, 2023 1:18 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:Sorry if this has alreadt been posted, but Joel Lorenzi from OWH tweeted that the latest he's heard on Trey is that he's weighing potential two-way options, would be a second round pick

The new CBA will bump the two-way roster spot allotment from 2 to 3 next season, and two-way contracts pay a little over $500K now. If he stays in the draft, it's not going to be to make a standard G League salary.
JacobPadilla

Postby vivid_dude » Tue May 30, 2023 1:41 pm

Is Caleb Martin a good high-upside comp for Trey? He arguably should have been Eastern Conference Finals MVP, and I'm not saying Trey will ever get to that level (not saying he won't either; he's a warrior), but watching Caleb's game over the past seven games, on more than one occasion, my brain kept gravitating toward that comparison.

The comp that popped into my mind the most this past season: Gary Harris

A few others: Malcom Brogdon, Norman Powell.

Highest upside comp: CJ McCollum maybe?

Trey strikes me as one of those prospects who is good at everything, but not great at anything. Graded on a curve for people entering the NBA at his position, he seems like a 6 (maybe 7 in a few instances) out of 10 at everything: athleticism, shooting, defense, playmaking, FTs, rebounding. But he's not an 8 or 9 at anything. That limits his upside, but sets a nice floor. Is that what teams are looking for? Guess we'll find out. Hopefully it's after another year at Creighton.

If he stays or if he goes, I'll be a Trey fan forever. Please stay.
vivid_dude

Postby NateFunkyTown » Tue May 30, 2023 3:33 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Is Caleb Martin a good high-upside comp for Trey? He arguably should have been Eastern Conference Finals MVP, and I'm not saying Trey will ever get to that level (not saying he won't either; he's a warrior), but watching Caleb's game over the past seven games, on more than one occasion, my brain kept gravitating toward that comparison.

The comp that popped into my mind the most this past season: Gary Harris

A few others: Malcom Brogdon, Norman Powell.

Highest upside comp: CJ McCollum maybe?

Trey strikes me as one of those prospects who is good at everything, but not great at anything. Graded on a curve for people entering the NBA at his position, he seems like a 6 (maybe 7 in a few instances) out of 10 at everything: athleticism, shooting, defense, playmaking, FTs, rebounding. But he's not an 8 or 9 at anything. That limits his upside, but sets a nice floor. Is that what teams are looking for? Guess we'll find out. Hopefully it's after another year at Creighton.

If he stays or if he goes, I'll be a Trey fan forever. Please stay.

Interestingly enough, their measurements at the combine were extremely similar, and Martin's last year in college stats are almost identical to Trey's (at least the general counting stats are)
NateFunkyTown

Postby Alphawalt » Tue May 30, 2023 4:49 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:Sorry if this has alreadt been posted, but Joel Lorenzi from OWH tweeted that the latest he's heard on Trey is that he's weighing potential two-way options, would be a second round pick

The new CBA will bump the two-way roster spot allotment from 2 to 3 next season, and two-way contracts pay a little over $500K now. If he stays in the draft, it's not going to be to make a standard G League salary.

But the question remains: is a team giving Trey assurance he will be signed to a two way contract? If he gets a two way contract, sure it makes sense to consider staying in draft, even if he knows he would not be drafted in first round this year. But if getting a two way contract is iffy, then better to play another year at CU.
Alphawalt

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue May 30, 2023 6:48 pm

Alphawalt wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:

But the question remains: is a team giving Trey assurance he will be signed to a two way contract? If he gets a two way contract, sure it makes sense to consider staying in draft, even if he knows he would not be drafted in first round this year. But if getting a two way contract is iffy, then better to play another year at CU.

I feel pretty confident somebody would scoop him up, especially with 32 extra two-way slots opening up (not that every team will fill all three of theirs for the full season). I think what the decision is riding on is if he hears from teams that have a plan for his development and future that he and his advisors buy into. I don't think he's stubborn enough to see it through if he's not hearing good things about teams that like him that he's interested as well. Think that's the process Joel tweeted about.
JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops