Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Arthur Kaluma

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Couldn't find a previous thread. His Big East play has earned some attention:

Wizard of Westroads

Re: Arthur Kaluma

Postby OKBluejay » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:22 pm

If Justin Lewis is a freshman, then so is Ryan Kalkbrenner.
OKBluejay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:58 pm

Kaluma is someone to watch in the second half of the conference season. He's been very up and down, but he seems to be getting more comfortable with his outside shot, so I'm thinking he's adjusting to play at this level.

Example - for non-conference from 3 PT range (5 of 21). So far in conference play: 7 of 14, even without the big St. Johns game he is 3 of 9. He continues to rebound well, and his defense is pretty good for a freshman.

Add in that he's getting some minutes in our centerless lineup, and I think he could take things to another level for the rest of this year.
Chicagojayfan

Postby T-bone » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:24 pm

OKBluejay wrote:If Justin Lewis is a freshman, then so is Ryan Kalkbrenner.

Interesting, Lewis is listed as a Frosh with his stats for 2 years on ESPN.com but Ryan is listed as a Soph.
T-bone

Postby Bluejoe » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 pm

I loved listening to Matt's exasperation at Marquette calling Lewis and Kolek freshmen on one of the recent postgame pods. I was out running and started laughing at loud at his reaction to that.
Bluejoe

Postby go_jays » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:05 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:Kaluma is someone to watch in the second half of the conference season. He's been very up and down, but he seems to be getting more comfortable with his outside shot, so I'm thinking he's adjusting to play at this level.

Example - for non-conference from 3 PT range (5 of 21). So far in conference play: 7 of 14, even without the big St. Johns game he is 3 of 9. He continues to rebound well, and his defense is pretty good for a freshman.

Add in that he's getting some minutes in our centerless lineup, and I think he could take things to another level for the rest of this year.

Sais this in another thread...

Kaluma hitting 3's is a HUGE boost to our offense. We have to have more than just AO and Hawk... Especially in light of the fact that R2 seems to be in a bit of a slump right now.
go_jays

Postby Django » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:08 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:

Wow didn’t realize he was hitting 50% from 3 in the big East! I agree having Art at the 5 in the small ball “perimeter snipers” lineup has looked awesome, very much going back to the Dougie/Wragge days when all 5 are on the line and taking turns driving and finding the open shooter. R2 is in a slump? I think it’s more like others are making noticeable strides... all our shooters are starting to gel and are getting better looks from 3.

Kalk has been a wrecking machine on defense but he still has a long way to go with his court vision and passing out of the block and quick decision making. The small ball lineup is waaaay faster and smoother from what I could tell in the short time it was shown.

I’m hoping Kalk will keep progressing on his speed and strength and offensive vision and eventually be a 3 point threat so next year he, along with Miller, a Kaluma will all be post players who can hit the 3 and we will be looking like another top 10 team.
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby CPJays » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:12 pm

Need Art to snag a BE Freshman of the Week award to round out the trio!
CPJays

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:19 am

Wizard of Westroads

Postby flixx » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:15 am

Amazing pass he made at the end of the game at UCONN last night to Alex for the dunk :o
flixx

Next

Return to Men's Hoops