Wayne State Exhibition

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Wayne State Exhibition

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:52 am

Django wrote:This was my first chance I’ve gotten to really see Ash and I’m a believer after a small sample. He’s silky smooth and our big 3 never looked better playing with him. Incredible vision and smarts.

Also impressed with Lawson’s shooting (50% from 3, 4-4 FT) and play making (five rebounds and a steal +21 overall). He’s skinnier but only an inch shorter than Kaluma and has an incredible wingspan.

They couldn't be any more different as players. From their skillets and strengths, to their size/build, to their athleticism.
bluejayfan00

Postby Django » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:25 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
Django wrote:This was my first chance I’ve gotten to really see Ash and I’m a believer after a small sample. He’s silky smooth and our big 3 never looked better playing with him. Incredible vision and smarts.

Also impressed with Lawson’s shooting (50% from 3, 4-4 FT) and play making (five rebounds and a steal +21 overall). He’s skinnier but only an inch shorter than Kaluma and has an incredible wingspan.

They couldn't be any more different as players. From their skillets and strengths, to their size/build, to their athleticism.

I know they’re completely different. Just pointing out that he’s 6’6” and if he can put on some weight he can be a great wing. He was the only one besides Trey to get a steal on D.
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Altmanforprez » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:13 pm

The four stars looked as good as advertised, definitely will see a lot of minutes on the floor this year. The bench + Miller left some to be desired (although like others I was impressed how comfortable Dotzler looked out there and he’s definitely bigger than I realized). I’m not going to get too worried about it though, last season we thought we were 10 deep after the exhibition so going to chalk it up to sample size as of now.

Getting Green back for Big East play will give us a nice wrinkle to add in, it seems like his skill set will be needed in conference play. With having a handful of transfers needing to acclimate to Creighton’s style of play it’s positive we have a manageable non-conference schedule to get kinks worked out.
Altmanforprez

Postby JayPak » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:43 am

The four studs were studs. Baylor looked bigger and ready to drive to the hoop. His rebounding numbers will be sky high. Trey and Kalk could do whatever they wanted against Wayne St. Offense will flow better with Ashworth than R2. Can't wait to see the PnR game unleashed. Ashworth's post entry passes were silky as they threaded through multiple defenders.

The 4 spot is clearly a weakness. Miller doesn't look like he belongs in a starting spot on a top 10 team. Defense is a concern, he doesn't knock down rhythm shots consistently and doesn't show the ability to drive. One thing he does well is initiate the break. Troudt looks to have more offensive prowess but is lost on defense. Hoping Green can bring something here.

Bello wasn't able to do much and more is going to be needed out of the sixth man role.

Lawson showed offensive spark, but can he defend?

Dotzler is going to be good. Needs more strength, and he's sped up at this early stage of his career. Just wait till the game slows down for him!

Vice, Townley, and Knox look like contributors in future seasons.

I don't know that this team will be able to put much pressure on the ball in the halfcourt, or have the depth to pressure fullcourt. Defense will be based on shot blocking, rebounding, and clogging passing lanes.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby RVB » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:46 pm

I heard Mac say in a recent interview that Bello suffered an injury a few weeks back (tweaked a hamstring I think) and he may not be 100% yet.
RVB

Postby SeattleJay » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:48 pm

RVB wrote:I heard Mac say in a recent interview that Bello suffered an injury a few weeks back (tweaked a hamstring I think) and he may not be 100% yet.

+1

I believe he also said that Bello was playing well in practice before the injury
SeattleJay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:24 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
RVB wrote:I heard Mac say in a recent interview that Bello suffered an injury a few weeks back (tweaked a hamstring I think) and he may not be 100% yet.

+1

I believe he also said that Bello was playing well in practice before the injury

Seems like Bello is a bit injury prone -- he was battling injuries all of last year and those supposedly were a big cause of his lack of effectiveness all year, too. And don't forget that Mac also said consistently last year and the year before both that Kaluma was shooting the three better than anyone else on the team during practice -- but that never materialized as a consistent thing during games, ever. So not sure any of that makes anyone feel better about how big of a role Bello is likely going to have.

I really like Bello. Seems like a true leader, and the team seems to all respond to the guy and love him. But if he can't produce meaningful minutes, he just can't be given significant minutes over the young guys who will be around longer and need to develop. Just my .02.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby TrueBlueJay » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:35 pm

How far this team is able to go is all about their defense.
TrueBlueJay

Postby go_jays » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:48 pm

And that comes under the category of grit. Which I hope and actually think they have it. But we'll see. They will have a target on their back again. And so will Marquette (unlke last year) and UConn, of course.
go_jays

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:23 pm

The Big East is too talented and deep to rely on platitudes like "grit". I think the defense will take a step back; how big that step is remains to be seen.
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops