Florida A&M Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Florida A&M Game Thread

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:50 pm

Here's the Primer for Florida A&M. An interesting team out of the SWAC; coached by Robert McCollum, a former Dana Altman assistant. They're not likely to give CU much of a game, but they will give the Jays a bunch of different looks defensively, which will be helpful to get film on. They hit the transfer portal hard after a seven-win season a year ago, and have added some good veteran pieces that should let them compete in the SWAC. And their two bigs could make Kalk work harder than you'd figure in a game like this. They're big, physical dudes.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/pregame- ... lorida-am/
WBR Tom

Re: Florida A&M Game Thread

Postby LJay » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:21 am

I’m seeing a line of 33.5. Yikes!
89 - 60
LJay

Postby drbluejay » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:09 am

LJay wrote:I’m seeing a line of 33.5. Yikes!

I am now seeing from 34.5 to 36
Seems a bit high as Fla. A & M restocked the team with better players.
drbluejay

Postby JayPak » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:12 pm

Game primer contains memories! I was at that '93 game at AkSarBen Coliseum as a student. I don't remember there being a section dedicated for students. I got in free with student ID and was stuck up high behind a pillar, which made it hard to see one end of the court. The game was close, which was a surprise even though Creighton sucked because we were playing a SWAC team. I remember feeling how weird it was to a) win and b) play a home game away from the Civic. I went to several Omaha Racers games at the Coliseum and sat in the low end zone which were bleachers or folding chairs, in order to get away from the pillars.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Jaybird » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:39 pm

WBR Tom wrote:Here's the Primer for Florida A&M. An interesting team out of the SWAC; coached by Robert McCollum, a former Dana Altman assistant. They're not likely to give CU much of a game, but they will give the Jays a bunch of different looks defensively, which will be helpful to get film on. They hit the transfer portal hard after a seven-win season a year ago, and have added some good veteran pieces that should let them compete in the SWAC. And their two bigs could make Kalk work harder than you'd figure in a game like this. They're big, physical dudes.

Thorough and comprehensive as usual. But you didn’t explore one vital question: why do they call themselves Rattlers?
There aren’t any rattlers, to speak of, in Florida. It’d be like us calling ourselves the Creighton Gators because there’s one at the zoo. They could be the Florida A&M Coral Snakes, or the FAMU Domestic Pythons Turned Loose in the Everglades, but Florida A&M Rattlers is just wrong geographically. In fact, it’s wrong reptile-ly.
Jaybird

Postby Jaybird » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:53 pm

Ten guys suited up??
Jaybird

Postby Django » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:55 pm

Jaybird wrote:
WBR Tom wrote:Here's the Primer for Florida A&M. An interesting team out of the SWAC; coached by Robert McCollum, a former Dana Altman assistant. They're not likely to give CU much of a game, but they will give the Jays a bunch of different looks defensively, which will be helpful to get film on. They hit the transfer portal hard after a seven-win season a year ago, and have added some good veteran pieces that should let them compete in the SWAC. And their two bigs could make Kalk work harder than you'd figure in a game like this. They're big, physical dudes.

Thorough and comprehensive as usual. But you didn’t explore one vital question: why do they call themselves Rattlers?
There aren’t any rattlers, to speak of, in Florida. It’d be like us calling ourselves the Creighton Gators because there’s one at the zoo. They could be the Florida A&M Coral Snakes, or the FAMU Domestic Pythons Turned Loose in the Everglades, but Florida A&M Rattlers is just wrong geographically. In fact, it’s wrong reptile-ly.

Diamondbacks can be found throughout the Florida Panhandle where FAMU is located. An easier rip on Tallahassee is the first Florida state seal had Mountains on it! :lol:
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:11 pm

Bit of a slow start except for the Ashworth and Armstrong show so far. .. those 2 are going to put on a lot of shows this year
Chicagojayfan

Postby CPJays » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:15 pm

Not news, but Trey is going to have a monster year.
CPJays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:19 pm

King looking a bit more polished and comfortable in the paint

Nice seeing Bello hit a 3 also
Chicagojayfan

Next

Return to Men's Hoops