Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Games of interest 2023-24

Postby LJay » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:28 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
go_jays wrote:Depends...

From 3? YES.

Overall FG%? Not so much.

It really depends on what the blend of 3s and 2s was.

Really? Ok. Dude was 6-14 from two. Better?

42.8% from 2 and 33% from 3 for an entire year would not be a positive offensive season. 7 dimes are good.

On another front, DePaul is 50 shades of bad. Their sets, flow and effort are trash.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:46 pm

kind of shocking he played all 40 minutes against Yale. Admittedly they're a lot better than NDSU, but it appears R2 will be asked to do some serious heavy lifting for that team.
Jaysker12

Postby JayPak » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:13 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:R2 with 16 points 7 assists and 1 TO against Yale

On 17 shots and two free throws.

Is 7 of 17 from the field good?

He played all 40 minutes again, too. So at least he's getting to showcase those NBA skills out there so far.

Hopefully the NBA scouts are watching him on Tuesday in Gonzaga's annual showdown with NAIA Eastern Oregon. But more likely the scouts will be tuned into Creighton/Iowa at that time.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Altmanforprez » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:43 am

DePaul may be bad bad this year, not even trying to give the Big East a decent non-con record before getting smacked in conference play.

Stubblefield seems like he's destined to be fired before play starts at MSG in March.
Altmanforprez

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:03 am

Jaysker12 wrote:kind of shocking he played all 40 minutes against Yale. Admittedly they're a lot better than NDSU, but it appears R2 will be asked to do some serious heavy lifting for that team.

True, but he is the newcomer with quite a lot of other new faces, IIRC, so Few may need to be giving him more time to work and gel with the team. I think he'll get more shot opportunities, and he'll definitely enjoy not having to face Big East defenders every game out (where they wrote the book on playing him with tough physical D up high in the half court), but his shooting isn't elite and I doubt he'll have the kind of space to drive that he got from Kalk and our shooters around him.

If I had to guess, we'll see around a 50% TS%, with a higher assist%, and more shot opportunities for him

Yale's probably a top 100 team, so better than NDSU like you say - Loyola Chicago's probably a good equivalent
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:06 am

Altmanforprez wrote:DePaul may be bad bad this year, not even trying to give the Big East a decent non-con record before getting smacked in conference play.

Stubblefield seems like he's destined to be fired before play starts at MSG in March.

Stubblefield had been with Altman so long that I figured he'd do a pretty good job and make them a bit more respectable, but so far it's not looking good.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Altmanforprez » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:59 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Altmanforprez wrote:DePaul may be bad bad this year, not even trying to give the Big East a decent non-con record before getting smacked in conference play.

Stubblefield had been with Altman so long that I figured he'd do a pretty good job and make them a bit more respectable, but so far it's not looking good.

Agree, he has managed to not be a good coach and not recruit talent. At least the other coaches brought in some solid players.

On a separate note, Shareef had a really nice game in a close loss to Cleveland State who was led by none other than former Creighton recruiting target, Tristen Enaruna. Looks like he had himself a solid game as well
Altmanforprez

Postby go_jays » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:34 am

LJay wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:
go_jays wrote:Depends...

From 3? YES.

Overall FG%? Not so much.

It really depends on what the blend of 3s and 2s was.

Really? Ok. Dude was 6-14 from two. Better?

42.8% from 2 and 33% from 3 for an entire year would not be a positive offensive season. 7 dimes are good.

On another front, DePaul is 50 shades of bad. Their sets, flow and effort are trash.

I think the 33% from 3 would be acceptable but not optimal. The 42.8% from 2 would probably not be acceptable especially given that's what he needs to bring to that team, or any team for that matter... Getting inside and pressuring the rim. But I have a feeling he will have plenty of opportunity to do that in that conference. So, in the end, I think his stats will be ok... and like you mentioned in another post (think it was you), the 7 dimes are really the key. If he puts up the same numbers throughout the year, INCLUDING THE ASSISTS, he'll be doing what he needs to do. But anything less will be a disappointment, I think.
go_jays

Postby AttyAlum » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:41 pm

Altmanforprez wrote:On a separate note, Shareef had a really nice game in a close loss to Cleveland State who was led by none other than former Creighton recruiting target, Tristen Enaruna. Looks like he had himself a solid game as well

I think there will be times this year when we miss Kaluma and Nebhard, especially in conference play. In contrast, we will not miss Shareef at all. Good kid and I’m glad he’s found a spot, but his basketball IQ was downright abysmal at several points last year. Even his defense was severely overrated. It was painful to watch him play a lot of the time.

I wish all three guys well. I think everyone knew Shareef and Kaluma would leave, while Nebhard was a complete shocker to the fans, his CU teammates and the coaching staff. Nebhard also completely bungled the handling of his departure making it even harder to take. I recently rewatched the NCAA tourney game against Baylor; we don’t win that one without Nebhard. Nebhard and Kaluma will always be key parts in the best Creighton team to date. I just hope we don’t have to receive stat updates after every game all year.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby jays911 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:59 pm

St.John’s game going well for Michigan. The Johnnies have turnover and shooting issues.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops