Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Games of interest 2023-24

Postby taa71458 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:47 pm

Lots of bubbles popped today, including indie star Robbie Avila
taa71458

Postby LJay » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:04 pm

taa71458 wrote:Lots of bubbles popped today, including indie star Robbie Avila

And the Big East boys. I’m seeing 3 with a fourth as an unlikely possibility. Five bid steals is nuts.

I guess we’ll see that 96 team tournament PDQ. Welcome .500 teams to the big dance. The non-con of power teams is going to be littered with cupcakes to make sure you can get to 20 wins and a nice, mediocre NET.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby JayPak » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:42 pm

Jaybird wrote:On Monday, Long Beach St fired their coach of 18 years. No warning, just booted his ass, effective with their next loss. They haven't lost since, and now they're in the tournament. Awkward.

FWIW the coach said the resignation was his decision.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Realhoops » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:44 am

LJay wrote:

And the Big East boys. I’m seeing 3 with a fourth as an unlikely possibility. Five bid steals is nuts.

I guess we’ll see that 96 team tournament PDQ. Welcome .500 teams to the big dance. The non-con of power teams is going to be littered with cupcakes to make sure you can get to 20 wins and a nice, mediocre NET.

A field with six mountain west teams and three big East teams is crazy, despite our noted struggles against them.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 am

Realhoops wrote:
LJay wrote:

A field with six mountain west teams and three big East teams is crazy, despite our noted struggles against them.

that would be incredibly crazy. I tend to defend the smaller conferences and a few teams in the Mountain West have earned it, but I still can't imagine them not putting in SJU (26 Kenpom), so in my mind 4 is the threshold

Beyond that, Providence is still 54 Kenpom, SH has 20 wins, but is 62, Nova is 34, but only has 18 wins

the middle of the BE was pretty much a war this year

BE and Creighton need to make a statement in the NCAA Tourney this year
Chicagojayfan

Postby 3ontheway » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:09 am

I think Seton Hall has virtually no chance.
3ontheway

Postby LJay » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:07 am

JayPak wrote:
Jaybird wrote:On Monday, Long Beach St fired their coach of 18 years. No warning, just booted his ass, effective with their next loss. They haven't lost since, and now they're in the tournament. Awkward.

FWIW the coach said the resignation was his decision.

I’ve read nothing but “he was fired” from Twitter hoops guru wonks. Not interested enough to seek the true story.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby GWJay » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:52 am

3ontheway wrote:I think Seton Hall has virtually no chance.

I think I tend to agree they are least likely of St Johns, PC and them to get in. Which is wild that the 4 seed of the BE will miss out. I also tend to think they'd have the best shot of winning a game or two in the tournament despite the fact that they were the only one of the three we beat twice. I think their style of rugby ball would give a team on the six line (like a Utah State) a ton of issues.
GWJay

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:38 pm

GWJay wrote:

I think I tend to agree they are least likely of St Johns, PC and them to get in. Which is wild that the 4 seed of the BE will miss out. I also tend to think they'd have the best shot of winning a game or two in the tournament despite the fact that they were the only one of the three we beat twice. I think their style of rugby ball would give a team on the six line (like an Utah State) a ton of issues.

Especially when your league’s 4 seed won the natty the year before.
SeattleJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:55 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
GWJay wrote:

I think I tend to agree they are least likely of St Johns, PC and them to get in. Which is wild that the 4 seed of the BE will miss out. I also tend to think they'd have the best shot of winning a game or two in the tournament despite the fact that they were the only one of the three we beat twice. I think their style of rugby ball would give a team on the six line (like an Utah State) a ton of issues.

Especially when your league’s 4 seed won the natty the year before.

pretty solid quote by Hurley here (stole this from the Holylandofhoops board)

Jaden Daly
@DalyDoseOfHoops
Here’s the full quote from Hurley on the Big East possibly only getting three bids. Great question from @NYPost_Brazille.

“First off, if Seton Hall is not in, that’s embarrassing, and there’s a larger problem relative to the respect that the Big East gets. Providence beat Wisconsin, who beat Purdue today and is playing for the Big Ten championship…they beat Marquette with Kolek earlier in the year, obviously St. John’s, we’ve played them and we’ve played some other teams in the non-conference that are gonna make it. St. John’s is just as good as everyone else. We should be a six-bid league this year. Villanova, I don’t know if they’ll make it, but if we don’t get six teams in, that’s incredibly disrespectful. There’s a lot of truth to what some of these conferences did relative to manipulating the NET. When you look at some resumes of some of these programs, they literally beat nobody in the non-conference.”
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops