Postby SeattleJay » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:00 am

Baylor was+15
Fred +12
Bello +7

Those were top 3 players
SeattleJay

Re: Iowa Game Thread

Postby SDJay » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:00 am

SeattleJay wrote:Iowa played pretty physically with relatively few calls against them, but still complained a lot about the refereeing. I thought it made them look bad.

Well, I’ve watched a fair amount of Iowa basketball over the years, and it’s the norm during Fran’s tenure.
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:08 am

Kalk didn't look good. He got outplayed in multiple 1v1s including down the stretch where they cut into the lead. He can be better and needs to be.

For the first time, we appear to have a bench capable of consistently contributing. Fred and Farabello played really well.

Overall I think this will be viewed as a quality win down the road, but I don't like what I see from the defense...Ashworth is a liability. Farabello brings just a tad more physicality but I'd really like Josiah to see more minutes in the next few games. I'm worried he may get buried on the bench if he doesn't make progress before conference play.

This team has a lot of room for growth and this win is a good first step.
Jaysker12

Postby chairclanger » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:18 am

Hopefully that will be Ashworth's worst game of the year. I thought he really struggled against Iowa's defensive pressure, and Iowa is not a good defensive team. I shudder to think about him playing the point against Marquette or UCONN. It will be like a goldfish in a pond of pirahnas. I posted before the season that Bello would get 20-25 minutes/game and was ridiculed. Anyone want to take that bet now?
chairclanger

Postby wildjays » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:22 am

Photos from the game, courtesy of Brad Williams.

https://photos.whiteandbluereview.com/p142426252
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:23 am

SDJay wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Iowa played pretty physically with relatively few calls against them, but still complained a lot about the refereeing. I thought it made them look bad.

Well, I’ve watched a fair amount of Iowa basketball over the years, and it’s the norm during Fran’s tenure.

100% agree. They definitely fit their coaches mold.
skinzfan23

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:27 am

What a great game by the bench. For the 2nd straight game Kalk didn’t look great in the first half but really turned it on after half.

That stretch where we hit 2 3’s and then hit Kalk in stride for the dunk was great! This was a fun game by 2 very good offensive teams. I was a little disappointed in CU’s defense but as mentioned, the game plan was to let them beat us by the midrange game and that cooled down. We didn’t want Sandfort to get hot and we did hold him in check.

Iowa will have a few good wins this year being in the Big 10, so this win will help us down the road.
skinzfan23

Postby section202jay » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:41 am

LJay wrote:Kalk was more than a tad bit off. Outplayed by the entire Iowa front line. The MVC guy stole his lunch, ate it and threw the crust back in his face.

That is quite the over exaggeration. If you listened to Mac's post-game it sounds like that was the plan, to just like the MVC kid shoot jumpers all night instead of threes.

It was not Kalkbrenner's best game but geez.
section202jay

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:04 am

Wow, reading the Iowa board and as usual all they do is complain about officiating. Yes, they had quite a few fouls early on when CU had none, but they only finished with 4 more fouls and they were fouling to end the game.

It was a great game played by both teams. Thought the officiating was decent both ways. It’s crazy that they are one of the least foul-prone teams in ncaa yet they constantly complain about officials.

A lot of hate towards Greg McDermott and Trey for some reason too.
skinzfan23

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:50 am

One of my most favorite plays in the game was at 10:19 in the 1st half when Ryan was shooting a free throw when a fan yelled “ go big red!”, I’m glad Vivid was able to make it to the game!
SonofFrankTomera

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops