Loyola of Chicago Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Loyola of Chicago Game Thread

Postby 3ontheway » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:07 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Kalk fell just short of 30 points. He must have mono.

I seriously have no idea what you guys are watching making these claims about Kalk.

And ref complaining? In that game? Jesus….

It was just 2 hilariously bad calls by the same ref. Passing the time. Relax
3ontheway

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:44 pm

Trifecta wrote:

I seriously have no idea what you guys are watching making these claims about Kalk.

Did you watch the first half?

He came on and played great for about 12 minutes on the second half, thankfully.

Maybe we are all spoiled. We've won all our games against overmatched opponents by large margins. And I still don't think we've played well yet. It feels like this team has another gear that they just haven't gotten to yet.

Watched it, yes. Just fast forwarded through first half again to see if I’m missing anything. I encourage you to do the same thing. What you’ll see is he’s running up and down the court, almost always beating his man and establishing position. He’s challenging nearly every shot in the lane playing outstanding team defense. Forced a few travels and turnovers with his presence. Continued his clinic-like box outs. His guy never got an offensive rebound that I saw. In the half court set, set a bunch of screens and ran the offense. Missed a few shots he probably shouldn’t have.

If you want to say he could have played better, fine. But I think it’s insulting and contrary to what the tape shows when people are claiming he’s disinterested or physically ailing.

Maybe you’re right and we are spoiled.

That was Trey’s worst game in quite some time. Can’t it just be a bad game instead of questioning his passion or claiming he has legionnaires disease? This probably bothers me more than it should, but the “disinterested” jab at Kalk is very unfair, insulting and not supported by anything you see on the tape if you’re really watching. (And I know you didn’t use that word)
vivid_dude

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:55 pm

3ontheway wrote:

It was just 2 hilariously bad calls by the same ref. Passing the time. Relax

I knew someone would call out mentioning that the refs made a bad call.

Vivid you do realize that someone can mention that there was a bad call and not be against the refs? If there is a bad call, I will point it out. On that particular play Bello had position on the ball and the Loyola guy ran into him. I wasn't saying the refs were horrible, just that they missed that call. Overall the refs were good, except as mentioned, when the female ref had 2 bad calls in a row.

Either way, glad to get a 20-pt win and nearly score almost 90 again, even on an off night for Trey.
skinzfan23

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:05 pm

Trey could have played worse. It's a luxury to have both him and Baylor; we cannot expect one guy to carry us every night. On that note, I continue to be impressed by Baylor's offseason development. He looks like he drank from the fountain of youth or something. The bench looks like more of a sure thing with every game. Still have concerns on defense, more of the same..
Jaysker12

Postby go_jays » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:11 pm

Realhoops wrote:I know the Jays are up 14 — but going to need to play a LOT better tomorrow to get by Colorado State. Might be the best team we see in the nonconference.

'Bama?????
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:18 pm

Just FTR...

Kenpom

Iowa 37
Nebraska 45
Colorado St 50

So, if we don't come with better focus tomorrow, they can certainly make a game of it.
go_jays

Postby Jaybird » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:31 pm

What Kalk claims are you prattling about? I just went back and read the thread. I just figured people must be unloading on Kalkbrenner left and right. There's one post--one--wondering whether he might be sick. And it wasn't even a "claim about Kalk". Everyone else who mentioned him seemed complimentary. So, where are all these "guys" "making these claims about Kalk"? Were you maybe looking a little too hard for some posts to complain about but, since they're not there, you just went ahead and complained anyway??
Jaybird

Postby LJay » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:07 pm

Bench:

16 points
11 rebounds
6 assists
2 blocks
0 turnovers

That is good stuff.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby go_jays » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:14 pm

Really good. Farabello has looked awesome so far. Fred looking good. He really has good hands. When he comes down with a rebound with someone else having a hand on it, 90% of the time it's gonna be his. And a nice block today as well.

I realize that Mac was prolly gonna favor a smaller lineup today. But I was hoping Traudt would get more time. Also, maybe he left the starters in a little longer than he needed to?
go_jays

Postby Realhoops » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:26 pm

go_jays wrote:
Realhoops wrote:I know the Jays are up 14 — but going to need to play a LOT better tomorrow to get by Colorado State. Might be the best team we see in the nonconference.

'Bama?????

FWIW — I’m not the only random person with this thought:

https://x.com/mjdemarinis/status/172601 ... CO0EbW4gxw
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops