Oklahoma State Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Oklahoma State Game Thread

Postby SDJay » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:50 pm

What was that play stoppage for? They went to monitor.
Last edited by SDJay on Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby Trifecta » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:50 pm

Realhoops wrote:I’m sure I’m wrong and I know he impacts in so many non-stat ways — but it sure feels like a lot of guys have been able to go straight at Kalk and score a ton of easy layups right at the rim this year.

I know we play drop coverage defense, but it seems like Kalk is constantly backpedaling vs. standing his ground. I think guys just attack him and get into his chest because he's always drifting back into the lane.
Trifecta

Postby Realhoops » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:53 pm

The officiating is so inconsistent. That same play has happened several times tonight. Once they called Trey out of bounds, a few times nothing, this time a foul.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Realhoops » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:55 pm

Also — on the announcers. They’ve said a half dozen times it was a 17 point lead at half. It was 18. Just clueless and lazy.
Last edited by Realhoops on Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby LJay » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:57 pm

Realhoops wrote:The officiating is so inconsistent. That same play has happened several times tonight. Once they called Trey out of bounds, a few times nothing, this time a foul.

They were bad. Jays will struggle most games allowed to be thug ball.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby jaycardsker » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:59 pm

The over hits at the buzzer. +/- 142.5.
jaycardsker

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:27 am

After stumbling out of the blocks, CU ended up boat racing OSU. Built a big lead and never let them get to single digits. That’s a great outcome for the first true road game of the season against a power conference team.

Individually, Trey was up and down, but ended up looking closer to his early season version self. Kalk had good and not-so-good spurts. Ash had a breakthrough half to carry the Jays early. Curious about Miller’s benching. Everyone else played just fine. Felt like a B/B- game, if you’re grading it. Which, after the Colorado State nightmare, was an A+ on a curve. Build from that and wipe NU off the map this weekend.
vivid_dude

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:13 am

Here's my post-game takeaways post. You can find more thoughts from mw when the Bluejay Beat goes live.

https://hurrdatsports.com/creighton-men ... oma-state/
JacobPadilla

Postby Django » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:12 am

Realhoops wrote:I’m sure I’m wrong and I know he impacts in so many non-stat ways — but it sure feels like a lot of guys have been able to go straight at Kalk and score a ton of easy layups right at the rim this year.

I think Kalk has played the same way his whole career. I know I’ve not loved his style of play but numbers and wins don’t lie baby!! Maybe it seems different because the past few years he had more athletic players around him (or in Bishops case spelling him.) I know Art was able to rise up and block shots from behind while Kalk was covering the rim, so now all alone it doesn’t look so good. But he still had a couple awesome blocks last night, and maybe the reason he can be so effective is because when smaller dudes score on him the opponents get tricked into thinking it’s easy to score on him… that’s when their hubris leads them to get posterized by Kalk. :lol:
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:28 am

Nice solid road win for the team and especially nice as a bounce back after the Colorado State game

The Big 3 all showed up and, in particular Trey and Baylor played really well, and much closer to their norm. Kalk missed some shots that he normally makes, but was disruptive on the offensive end and made good passes out of the doubles he saw

It was clearly a focus of the coaches to get Ashworth to look for more shots and he was very effective and carried us offensively to start the game. Best game he's had for us so far, and I think we'll see more offensive spurts like this from him as the coaches us him to make teams pay for how they defend Trey, Baylor and Kalk

- earlier in the thread Trifecta commented that we had too many people waiting to see what Alexander did, and I think that was very true. Especially when teams play that tough, physical D on Alexander, people need to be moving without the ball so we can make them pay - and it's not just them scoring, when teams overplay like that, Alexander might be free on the next pass

Miller looked to be suffering from the illness in the first half (he looked to me to be struggling to get up and down the court). Thankfully the matchups were better for Traudt tonight than they were against Colorado St, but getting Miller back to 100% will help (Hopefully by the NU game)

Mac didn't give too much to the Bench tonight and I can see why - we needed the bounce-back after the last game, and testing out bench combos during the first real road game of the year is a risky thing to do. But, either way, Traudt and Bello played a lot and King gave a solid few minutes as well.

First 10 minutes of the first half we didn't play very good D, but we locked down hard during the last 10 minutes, and played solid D in the second half. Offensively not as good in that second half, but I thought we saw productive outings for Alexander and Baylor in the second half in particular -- nice to see them scoring in so many different ways

Hard to complain too much about a first real road game where we put up 1.254 PPP vs 1 PPP while playing a B12 team. If Kalk finishes anywhere near his norm, this is a 20+ pt win, and while Okie State didn't start the season well, Thompson is back and their younger players will keep getting better (couple of their Frosh are developing quickly - Dailey in particular, I think)

Most importantly the team bounced back and Trey and Baylor had a big bounce back games that get them back on track

bonus quote from an Oklahoma State Board "I bet McDermott could make the Cowboys a good offensive team"
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops