UNLV Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: UNLV Game Thread

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:18 pm

chairclanger wrote:Everyone is making a big deal about not being able to game-plan for a player we weren't expecting to face. I think this gets to our DNA as a team based on shooting and finesse vs. strength and explosiveness. The only way we can guard teams effectively is to "game-plan" to make up for our inability to just guard people. We have beautiful games like Nebraska and Central Michigan where we look unbeatable. Then we have rock fights where our guys look terrible. Last year, we won rock fights because R2 and Kaluma were athletes. They could guard their position without help. R2 was small, but quick and explosive and had a number of dunks in his 2 years. I'm not sure Ashworth could dunk with a trampoline. It's still more fun being a fan of "Let it Fly" than watching Virginia or Wisconsin, but it's inevitable games like last night are going to happen.

Sure, it's "fun" to watch when they shoot 40%+ from 3 and light teams up. But it doesn't get you terribly far. Both those programs who play "boring" basketball are much more successful than we are.
bluejayfan00

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:01 am

Prepare yourselves. My megaphone is on full blast, and I’ve installed a pedestal on top of a soapbox on top of my high horse. But Good Lord Almighty, some of the takes in this thread need a reckoning.

First, a reminder, Creighton is coming off an Elite Eight appearance and has twice been voted into the Top 8 of the country this season. The Jays earned and deserve all of that. And now we earned to likely drop, pending the game with Alabama. You can’t take these achievements or recognition away from the players because your feelings are a certain way.

Can some of you please have some perspective? These inexplicable losses happen every year. And most years, Mac has proven himself to be able to adjust and find a way to exceed the doom and gloom expectations short-sighted fans (of which there are too many in this thread) have of the team.

Mac has built this program to be near the top of college basketball. How? With a style of #LetitFly. We are one of the best offensive teams in the country. Defense has improved dramatically in recent years (because of the disinterested, mono-ridden, soft, quitting, embarrassing Kalk). We can’t be that AND have a bunch of above-the-rim athletes AND run 11 deep off the bench, etc. Yes, losing R2 and Kaluma hurt with shot-creators. We went out and found some good replacements. Not perfect replacements, but considering the market, we were all happy.

#LetitFly is an effective, imperfect style that has taken Creighton to heights few expected them to ever achieve. Here’s that word again: PERSPECTIVE.

But this thread? Wow...

The hilarious Kalk hate
“Kalk looks like he has mono again” – Hardwood
“Kalk is soft” Trifecta
“(Kalk) probably doesn’t want to be there anymore.” – Outlaw_Wales
“Ryan Kalkbrenner should be embarrassed.” – bluejayfan00
“Kalkbrenner is not intimidating in the least.” – Trifecta
“Kalk doesn’t care.” – ingregwetrust
“Big East is DROOLING at the prospect of playing (Kalk).” – Outlaw_Wales

What game are you watching? He consistently beats his guy up and down the floor. The guy he's guarding almost never gets an offensive rebound. I can assure you that the Big East is not DROOLING over playing the two-time conference defensive player of the year. Conversely, they will be devising their entire offensive and defensive schemes with him in mind. He impacts games in ways ignorant basketball fans will never appreciate. Because one opponent has a career game against him, he's a bum?

Kalk had a solid box score last night. You can’t discount that because you feel a certain way. And Kalk’s value is always shortchanged by counting stats because of how he impacts the games in so many other ways. While his opponent had a good night, about 10 of those points were contested, six to eight foot hook shots, that bounced around the rim a bunch and fell. I don’t think Kalk’s guy got one offensive rebound. I’m not saying it was great, but it wasn’t anywhere near as described by the clown car cast of characters cited in the quotes above.

Ashworth
“Ashworth is absolute garbage.” – HandsDownManDown

Beyond this personal, unproductive, hot-take insult toward a college kid, I’d call many of the criticisms of Ash’s play fair up to this point. However, again, PERSPECTIVE. He’s played a handful of games. Look at the majority of CU’s transfers over the years. Whether it’s Hawkins, Baylor, Huff, Farabello, etc. There was an adjustment period and learning curve. We are a handful of games into the season, in a new system, with new teammates. Mac and his teammates rave about him – he’s still finding his place.

Trey
“Trey is a middle of the road player in the BE. He looked great against cupcake competition but throw real athletic players at him and all sorts of weaknesses are exposed” – Alphawalt

This may be the worst take in the history of the BJU. Two years ago, Trey was on the All Big East Freshman team. Last year, he was honorable mention all-conference. Four games ago, national pundits were putting him on the watch list for the All America status because of his hot start. In his career, he has played some of his best basketball in the very tough Big East and in the NCAA tournament, against top notch, athletic competition and crushed it. To have Alphawalt’s opinion based on a three or four-game slump, when Trey has the credentials, videotape, stats and reputation to objectively refute it, is mind-blowing. Some people aren’t mentally or emotionally equipped to express sensible opinions during a bad game.

It's a slump. He didn’t forget how to play basketball. Can’t wait to see how Alphawalt’s take holds up by the end of the year.

Thankfully, not everyone is an overly-emotional, short-sighted, over-reactionary, goofy Husker-like fan.
“It’s okay to post negative comments about the effort. But to extrapolate from a bad night some of the apocalyptic comments is an unreasonable overreaction.” – ICBluejays
“I don't think there is any reason to criticize Kalk's effort or motivation.” – OKBluejay
Chicagojayfan is always measured and doesn’t let his emotions go nuts on him.

R-E-L-A-X. It’s okay to criticize the play, but some of the shit in this thread is so over-the-top, it’s embarrassing. Get some perspective.
vivid_dude

Postby Trifecta » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:47 am

This is a fun game. I should go back and cherry pick many things that you've said, pull them out of context, and post them...making myself look really smart yet sanctimonious.

Also, do you not see the irony of telling people they are acting like UNL fans?
Trifecta

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:25 am

Trifecta wrote:This is a fun game. I should go back and cherry pick many things that you've said, pull them out of context, and post them...making myself look really smart yet sanctimonious.

I invite you to go back and pull things I've said and call me out on them. I'll wait.

Also, I'm not trying to make myself look smart. What, specially, did I say above that was off base? Again, I'll wait.

And it's not irony at all. It's consistency. I can't stand the ignorant, emotionally undisciplined, what-have-you-done-for-me-today contingency of Husker fans in the exact same way those same type of Creighton fans bother me. It's not all Husker fans or all Creighton fans. It's just folks like you.
vivid_dude

Postby Jaybird » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:53 am

vivid_dude wrote:
Trifecta wrote:This is a fun game. I should go back and cherry pick many things that you've said, pull them out of context, and post them...making myself look really smart yet sanctimonious.

I invite you to go back and pull things I've said and call me out on them. I'll wait.

Also, I'm not trying to make myself look smart. What, specially, did I say above that was off base? Again, I'll wait.

And it's not irony at all. It's consistency. I can't stand the ignorant, emotionally undisciplined, what-have-you-done-for-me-today contingency of Husker fans in the exact same way those same type of Creighton fans bother me. It's not all Husker fans or all Creighton fans. It's just folks like you.

I agree. You're not trying to make yourself look smart. If you were, you would have used "contingent" instead of "contingency".

Did I just call you out? If I did, your wait is over. You're welcome.
Jaybird

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:01 pm

I mixed up a few words. You got me. In a very lengthy email, to have only one typo - not bad.

If this is the victory you need, claim it. It's sad as hell, but it's all yours.
vivid_dude

Postby Jaybird » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:09 pm

vivid_dude wrote:I mixed up a few words. You got me. In a very lengthy email, to have only one typo - not bad.

If this is the victory you need, claim it. It's sad as hell, but it's all yours.

Well, to be honest, that's just the one that jumped out at me. It's a common mistake. It wasn't really a typo, though. That's hitting the wrong key. This was choosing the wrong word.

There might be more. (You said you "mixed up a few words", so there probably are). But I wasn't paying all that much attention to the rest of it.
Jaybird

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:00 pm

I invite anyone to substantively refute any of the things said in my lengthy post. Big points: don't personally attack the players. Is that unfair? Don't be so short-sighted. Is that unfair? Have some perspective. It feels quite lacking in many critiques.

Or, if you want to go a different direction, you can make it about one misused word (Jaybird). Be dishonest and say I disallow criticism of Creighton (Outlaw). Or do whatever it is Trifecta attempted to.

But, frankly, I hope no one else piles into the clown car with those three. There's room though!

vivid_dude

Postby Jaybird » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:29 pm

vivid_dude wrote:I invite anyone to substantively refute any of the things said in my lengthy post. Big points: don't personally attack the players. Is that unfair? Don't be so short-sighted. Is that unfair? Have some perspective. It feels quite lacking in many critiques.

Or, if you want to go a different direction, you can make it about one misused word (Jaybird). Be dishonest and say I disallow criticism of Creighton (Outlaw). Or do whatever it is Trifecta attempted to.

But, frankly, I hope no one else piles into the clown car with those three. There's room though!

Well, doggone it. This is just confounding.

You invited us to "go back and pull things I've said and call me out on them". Remember? It was just a few minutes ago. Then, you even said, "I'll wait". So, I did. And now you're being all pissy and cartoon clip-cutesy about it. (A methadone clinic? Really? We're all on opioids now because of a little innocent pushback? Well, maybe we're not, after our clinic visit, but, still, that seems extreme).

Anyway, now you're inviting us to "substantively refute any of the things said in my lengthy post". Oh no, you don't. Fool me once, shame on you (or maybe, it's "shame on me". I get confused). But, point is, I'm not falling for that invitation thing again. God knows what kind of clinic you'll have me and my circus friends going into next time.

Don't do it, anyone. Don't accept Vivid's invitation. It's a trap!
Jaybird

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:35 pm

Jaybird, this isn't going well for you. Stop. You're better than this.

Pointing out the misuse of a word isn't a substantive reply. It's quite the opposite of that. It's desperation at its core.
It's not quite "you're a flight attendant" desperate, but man - it's close! Maybe you're not better than this.

Give up while you're behind. It feels like you are angling for a position to drive the clown car. Not worth it. Stop.
Last edited by vivid_dude on Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivid_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops