Georgetown Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Georgetown Game Thread

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:43 am

vivid_dude wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:The second half felt pretty good … and then we give up a 13-2 run.

88%.

Baylor’s FT% and percentage of your posts that are negative about Creighton. I track it on a spreadsheet.

Knew we could count on you to come in after the game and scold anyone who saw negatives DURING the game. It’s pretty much all you ever do.

Meanwhile — the Jays looked like a mid to bottom half team in the first half. And then looked pretty good in the second half for about 15 minutes. And then gave up a 13-2 run — by the second worst offense in the conference / worst defense in the conference. And that, in part, led to the starters having to stay on the court until the final 2 minutes instead of getting the bench some meaningful experience.

So please lecture away and tell me what part of that quoted post you found to be inaccurate.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:35 am

It’s every game, sir. My spreadsheet doesn’t lie.
vivid_dude

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:24 am

Want to highlight a few things that were in Georgetown's favor in this game - all things that put us at high risk of losing a game:

1. Pace. Adjusted pace of 62.3 (reality we had 61 possessions). That was the 2nd slowest game we've played this year, with UNLV being the slowest (and we all remember how that one turned out). Anytime we play that slow we are at risk of losing, particularly on the road. Pace of 63 and under last year we were 2-2 (including SD State), 1-1 this year. A good way to make us closer to a .500 team is to get us to play slow

2. Fouls: 10 called on GT - the second fewest called against our opponents this year (only Marquette had fewer). We are 2-1 at 10 and under fouls on the opposition this year, last year we were 0-3. A good way to make us an under .500 team is to get the refs to eat their whistles

3. 3 PT shooting - We shot 32% from 3 PT last night. This year at 33% and lower we are 2-3. Last year we were 7-8 when shooting 33% or less and had 7 games of 20% and under where we were 2-5

While there's work to be done, take it as a good sign that all 3 of these things happened in the same game and we still won going away (and 17 pts is quite a bit in a 60 possession game like last night)
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jaysfan100 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:26 am

vivid_dude wrote:It’s every game, sir. My spreadsheet doesn’t lie.

I had to block him dudes to negative.
Jaysfan100

Postby SeattleJay » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:59 am

Trey finally back above 30% from 3 after 3-5.
SeattleJay

Postby sdebole059 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:11 pm

Last night was meh
sdebole059

Postby cu8493 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:37 pm

Seems like most of our games in the nation’s capitol are meh, so perhaps this team is back on track?
cu8493

Postby sdebole059 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:19 pm

lol. We will all learn Saturday
sdebole059

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:56 pm

Here are my takeaways, including some of the things I liked that sparked the turnaround in addition to Georgetown being bad (went in-depth on a lot of that on the pod with Matt as well).

https://hurrdatsports.com/creighton-men ... eorgetown/

Thought this was an interesting answer from Mac to a question about Trey's minutes load.

"If they need a break, they'll tell me, and if they don't tell me, they're pretty much going to stay in the game. He and Baylor we've ridden really hard and Kalkbrenner as well. I trust them and they'll let me know if they need a break. But they've played a lot of minutes for us all season and you only have so many miles you can put on your body in a week, and you either control that in practice — if guys are playing big minutes, then you have to curtail what you do in practice to make sure they're ready, physically and mentally, the next game. We really do a good job of the science behind that to make sure that we're getting them the proper rest in practice if they're playing heavy minutes."
JacobPadilla

Postby WBR Tom » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:24 pm

Here's the postgame recap on WBR, with highlights, quotes, and a look inside the box score.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/postgame ... eorgetown/

Illustrating my point about the damage they did in the paint last night, check out the shot chart. Nuts.

WBR Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops