Providence Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby TrueBlueJay » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:42 pm

3ontheway wrote:Trey has missed 5 free throws? He has to be gassed.

Only missed 4.

Front end of a 1 and 1 - felt like 5
TrueBlueJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:43 pm

bugmuncher wrote:
bigredtank wrote:I don't know what it is but the killer extinct just isn't there with this team. Part of it is the inability to get it to Kalk, part of it may be tired legs because of lack of bench rotation but it has cost us 2 games and almost this one in league play.

Part of it was Providence making some really improbable 3's, including a couple where Ash was playing textbook defense. Agree with your concern, though.

Given the number of things that went right for Providence, I'll take this kind of game as a big win for the team.

3's weren't falling, 3/13 first half, 7/23 overall isn't the norm (with them shooting better than their norm even while guarded from 3)
Baylor having a cold game from the field even with some pretty good looks 4/16
Pace favoring them w/ 64 possession game (about the same pace as the Nova game that caused us so much trouble)
Refs mostly called the game the way Providence wanted and they are a physical team

But w/ all of that we found a lot of ways to score and showed some nice toughness down the stretch. Remember, Providence's D is legit (Kenpom 4, Bartorvik 3rd). A complaint about this team was what do we do when 3 PT shots aren't falling and we've seen 2 games in a row with sub-par shooting from 3 and 2 wins
Chicagojayfan

Postby SeattleJay » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:48 pm

Great win. Glad to see SA be clutch. Tough shooting night for Baylor who has been incredible all year.

Which is more concerning going forward: 13 turnovers or zero bench points?

Kudos to PC for hanging tough.
SeattleJay

Postby LJay » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:04 pm

27 of 200 minutes given to the bench and pretty much all Farabello. The team was gassed the last 10 minutes leading to missed shots IMO. Mac has to start finding some rest for the starters or the last couple weeks of the season could be rough.

No, I don’t have an answer to who but we have little to go by to judge.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Trifecta » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:17 pm

LJay wrote:27 of 200 minutes given to the bench and pretty much all Farabello. The team was gassed the last 10 minutes leading to missed shots IMO. Mac has to start finding some rest for the starters or the last couple weeks of the season could be rough.

It's clear Mason has a better understanding mentally of the defense, so that has to be what keeps Traudt on the bench. Because offensively he's been a positive for most of the season. Maybe we should try some zone every once and a while to hide him on that end of the court.

I get the impact of what happens when Kalk is off the court, so I understand King's limited minutes to some extent. But it seems like we are short one guard/wing in the rotation, even for just 8 - 10 minutes.
Trifecta

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:22 pm

I think Traudt has like three points in the last 5-6 games. He’s been atrocious. I’m willing to let that slide but I think right now Traudts problem is he has been giving us nothing.
HandDownManDown

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:34 pm

Trifecta wrote:
LJay wrote:27 of 200 minutes given to the bench and pretty much all Farabello. The team was gassed the last 10 minutes leading to missed shots IMO. Mac has to start finding some rest for the starters or the last couple weeks of the season could be rough.

It's clear Mason has a better understanding mentally of the defense, so that has to be what keeps Traudt on the bench. Because offensively he's been a positive for most of the season. Maybe we should try some zone every once and a while to hide him on that end of the court.

I get the impact of what happens when Kalk is off the court, so I understand King's limited minutes to some extent. But it seems like we are short one guard/wing in the rotation, even for just 8 - 10 minutes.

Traudt's gone cold from 3 lately and Miller's just been playing well, even beyond 3 PT shooting (hustling on the boards and D, and even hitting some shots in the paint)

If there is a positive here, it's that Ashworth's put together a couple of good games and Miller's been consistent and productive lately meaning the starting lineup may finally be putting things together. If they keep it up, that will give Mac some room to get the bench working more as well .. although Mac's always going to be conservative there
Chicagojayfan

Postby section221jay » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:57 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Great win. Glad to see SA be clutch. Tough shooting night for Baylor who has been incredible all year.

Which is more concerning going forward: 13 turnovers or zero bench points?

Kudos to PC for hanging tough.

The turnovers. The bench production just isn't going to materialize. The turnovers need to improve some.
section221jay

Postby Jaysfan100 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:17 pm

Trifecta wrote:

I have kind of given up on Mac going more than 8 deep. But again I feel green would be a help at the 4 and 5 for to give kalk and mason extra minutes. Lawson looks like a lost cause and Dotzler should get what reef was getting his freshman year (a minute a half giving Ash a break) get him on the court with Trey so we have 2 guards that can get down hill.
Jaysfan100

Postby Realhoops » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:30 pm

Jaysfan100 wrote:
Trifecta wrote:

I have kind of given up on Mac going more than 8 deep. But again I feel green would be a help at the 4 and 5 for to give kalk and mason extra minutes. Lawson looks like a lost cause and Dotzler should get what reef was getting his freshman year (a minute a half giving Ash a break) get him on the court with Trey so we have 2 guards that can get down hill.

Really more like 6.5 deep.

Wisconsin played 15 guys today.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops