Providence Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby Jaysfan100 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:36 pm

I feel if IT and king are having trouble then it doesn’t hurt to play green at the 5 and Dotzler at the 2. Yes king and Issac are higher on the depth chart but if they struggle then green and Dotzler next up. Competition can improve king and Issac’s play
Jaysfan100

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:59 pm

A massive win today. Take whatever you can get in this league, because it seems like there will be no nights off and anyone can beat anyone, probably excluding DePaul and GT. Providence will still be a dangerous team even without Hopkins, really impressed with English.

- Trey seems to be rounding back into form. Had a great game today, minus the free throw shooting. Not worried about that.

-One of Kalks better games of the year. My one complaint on him (for today) is the 3 point shot. I think that experiment needs to end. He's way too efficient in the paint to be taking those, and I feel like it bails the opposing defense out. Besides the game he went bananas against Loyola, he's like 3-18.

-You can tell how badly Ashworth needed that shot to go down. The reaction from him and his teammates was awesome. He really needed that, and I hope it can be a turning point for him the rest of the way.

- Our bench was non-existent. We've never been a team under Mac with a really deep bench, or that brings guys off the bench that provide a consistent spark scoring the ball. Maybe my memory is short but the best bench player I can remember us having is Mahoney when he came off the bench for his first year. I'd really like to see that be improved in the future, but it's hard to be super talented 1-10, so I get it.

My biggest complain and something I've wanted to get off my chest all season-
The crowd was terrible. I feel like the crowd the last 2/3 years compared to the 10 years prior has been bad. I've always felt we had a bit of an overrated home court advantage, but there have been times in the last 10-15 years where it's been a real strength at times. I don't feel like it has been lately. I don't know if a majority of people are content, or what. But you'd think while being in the best stretch the program has ever had, the crowd would be better/more rowdy. It's been the opposite. There are too many sections in the lower bowl (where I sit) that do nothing. And not to offend anyone, but a heavy majority of these people are either 1.) old and not able or interested in being loud or rowdy. or 2.) clearly there to be seen, and view it as a social event more-so than a basketball game. The amount of people that stay seated during big runs, big plays, etc. is shocking. The amount of people who leave early period, but especially in close games, is embarrassing. I remember years when the crowd would seemingly single handedly bring the team back into games. Now, the team is begging the crowd to get into it. Whether it's players, coaches on the bench, or even the PA announcer begging the crowd to be loud. That should never have to happen. Based on games I've been to, or what you can hear/see on TV or social media, we have a bottom half crowd in terms of atmosphere and how loud it gets in the BE. I hate to say it, but the team down the road has their arena get twice as loud for their team who's been terrible for 25 years. I don't know what you can do to change it, the crowd and the fans are who they are, and we have a certain demographic and stereotype, and sadly a lot of it is true. Now, the game day "experience" that has nothing to do with how loud or involved the fans get, also isn't great. Something different needs to be done with the student section. When the rest of the arena hasn't been great the last few years, the student section has been. Move them closer to the court, put them somewhere else, I don't know. The courtside seats are stupid, IMO. Give them to people who are actually going to make a difference when sitting that close, instead of people who want to look good. Josh Jones, love him, but is terrible at whatever this emcee gig he's trying to do is. I applaud his effort in trying to get the crowd into it, but I can't tell you how many times over the last 2 seasons he's tried to start a "let's go Jays" chant while we're coming out of a TO to shoot freethrows. Do that when we're on defense, Josh. The DJ clearly isn't comfortable in this environment. He's good outside of Creighton games, but this just doesn't work. Have a preset list of songs to play at specific moments in the games, and just have someone click a button to play it. The two best things about our "gameday" experience are 1.) The video production of the opening videos and 2.) Jake Ryan. Normally I wouldn't be a fan of a PA announcer trying to get the crowd into it by flat out telling them to cheer, but it seems like the only thing that works. Rant over, for now.
bluejayfan00

Postby LJay » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:53 pm

Agree with much (wtf with the Let’s Go Jays when we’re shooting ft’s Josh. Follow the fricking game). However, the way games play out in the Big East with the absolute and complete failure to allow freedom of movement is a total shut down of any momentum the home team can gain. Your recollection of past years is not accurate IMO. Rock fights have never garnered much crowd pick up and never will.

The U needs to stop with the Jays Dancers, selling shit during timeouts and whatnot once we’re at the 8 minute timeout and later. Judas Priest, just STOP being cash whores!!! Do the Cheers thing and the like as soon as the TO starts. Stop the marketing madness.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby #RollJays » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:01 pm

I had fun at the football game this afternoon. There is so much offensive talent in the Big East this year it’s sad they are just disallowing freedom of movement. Almost have to flop to get a call. See Devin Carter.

All the corporate seats in the lower bowl are hurting the atmosphere in my opinion. When we are really good, the casuals take those seats. When we are middle of the pack, the true fans take the seats. Also feel like the officiating and lack of movement plays a role in the crowd. Teams want to muck it up and play grinder games with us which limits a lot of the highlight plays.
#RollJays

Postby Jaysfan100 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:55 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:A massive win today. Take whatever you can get in this league, because it seems like there will be no nights off and anyone can beat anyone, probably excluding DePaul and GT. Providence will still be a dangerous team even without Hopkins, really impressed with English.

- Trey seems to be rounding back into form. Had a great game today, minus the free throw shooting. Not worried about that.

-One of Kalks better games of the year. My one complaint on him (for today) is the 3 point shot. I think that experiment needs to end. He's way too efficient in the paint to be taking those, and I feel like it bails the opposing defense out. Besides the game he went bananas against Loyola, he's like 3-18.

-You can tell how badly Ashworth needed that shot to go down. The reaction from him and his teammates was awesome. He really needed that, and I hope it can be a turning point for him the rest of the way.

- Our bench was non-existent. We've never been a team under Mac with a really deep bench, or that brings guys off the bench that provide a consistent spark scoring the ball. Maybe my memory is short but the best bench player I can remember us having is Mahoney when he came off the bench for his first year. I'd really like to see that be improved in the future, but it's hard to be super talented 1-10, so I get it.

My biggest complain and something I've wanted to get off my chest all season-
The crowd was terrible. I feel like the crowd the last 2/3 years compared to the 10 years prior has been bad. I've always felt we had a bit of an overrated home court advantage, but there have been times in the last 10-15 years where it's been a real strength at times. I don't feel like it has been lately. I don't know if a majority of people are content, or what. But you'd think while being in the best stretch the program has ever had, the crowd would be better/more rowdy. It's been the opposite. There are too many sections in the lower bowl (where I sit) that do nothing. And not to offend anyone, but a heavy majority of these people are either 1.) old and not able or interested in being loud or rowdy. or 2.) clearly there to be seen, and view it as a social event more-so than a basketball game. The amount of people that stay seated during big runs, big plays, etc. is shocking. The amount of people who leave early period, but especially in close games, is embarrassing. I remember years when the crowd would seemingly single handedly bring the team back into games. Now, the team is begging the crowd to get into it. Whether it's players, coaches on the bench, or even the PA announcer begging the crowd to be loud. That should never have to happen. Based on games I've been to, or what you can hear/see on TV or social media, we have a bottom half crowd in terms of atmosphere and how loud it gets in the BE. I hate to say it, but the team down the road has their arena get twice as loud for their team who's been terrible for 25 years. I don't know what you can do to change it, the crowd and the fans are who they are, and we have a certain demographic and stereotype, and sadly a lot of it is true. Now, the game day "experience" that has nothing to do with how loud or involved the fans get, also isn't great. Something different needs to be done with the student section. When the rest of the arena hasn't been great the last few years, the student section has been. Move them closer to the court, put them somewhere else, I don't know. The courtside seats are stupid, IMO. Give them to people who are actually going to make a difference when sitting that close, instead of people who want to look good. Josh Jones, love him, but is terrible at whatever this emcee gig he's trying to do is. I applaud his effort in trying to get the crowd into it, but I can't tell you how many times over the last 2 seasons he's tried to start a "let's go Jays" chant while we're coming out of a TO to shoot freethrows. Do that when we're on defense, Josh. The DJ clearly isn't comfortable in this environment. He's good outside of Creighton games, but this just doesn't work. Have a preset list of songs to play at specific moments in the games, and just have someone click a button to play it. The two best things about our "gameday" experience are 1.) The video production of the opening videos and 2.) Jake Ryan. Normally I wouldn't be a fan of a PA announcer trying to get the crowd into it by flat out telling them to cheer, but it seems like the only thing that works. Rant over, for now.

Maybe expand our student section (yea they suck as well but they’ll at least have some energy) or do more youth nights or make the lower sections less expensive.
Jaysfan100

Postby fritzpointer » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:56 pm

I didn't see the final stats. Who was P.C. leading tackler? Go Jays!!
fritzpointer

Postby D Jay Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:03 pm

Since Covid, the students have been really good. You could really tell they are still on break. Especially these early Saturday games when they can go out afterwards.
Of all the ideas on how to pump up the crowd, a replay video board would make us the most noise. We are fans so we would see we didn't do anything wrong and the referees, the other team's coaches and their players were wrong and scum of the earth drivel. But we are at a basketball game and we should get to see it all. It starts as a boo from even the old ladies and then progresses to long, loud cheer as the team needs us because we aren't getting any of the breaks If the refs go to the monitor (and it had to be our first league game in years not to have one), we should be able to see it too. Just show us Fox's feed, like the rest of the country gets to see.
D Jay Fan

Postby wildjays » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:16 pm

The Bluejay Beat postgame podcast is up for our Patreon Subscribers.

Matt DeMarinis and Jacob Padilla break it down as always.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:37 pm

wildjays wrote:The Bluejay Beat postgame podcast is up for our Patreon Subscribers.

Matt DeMarinis and Jacob Padilla break it down as always.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link

In addition to the audio content above, here's my written thoughts from the game.

https://hurrdatsports.com/creighton-men ... nce-69-60/
JacobPadilla

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:13 am

Creighton is still a work in progress, but I think they are putting things together nicely now.

The bad:

- still quite a few turnovers, 13 doesn't seem like a lot, but this was another slow paced game with 64 possessions (IIRC?).. too many. Providence is an excellent defensive team, but there were still more than a few ugly turnovers that weren't caused by their defense

- As other said, we were so close to putting this one away. Just needed to string together a few more possessions with better defense while executing on offense. We are getting better at this, though

- Bench. I think some of this is that Mac simply hasn't been able to count on his starting lineup much and has struggled to get them playing well together. They have looked much better the past couple of games, and that should open up some more opportunity to develop the bench.

The Good (Honestly, there was a lot to like yesterday)

- Offense: While 69 pts w/ a poor performance from 3 PT seems mediocre, that was the worst Offensive rating in a game for Providence this year. We had the highest eFG% of any team playing them this year. While we didn't get directly to the rim all that often, we got good shots in the paint and mid-range and found a lot of ways to score when the 3 PT shots weren't always falling

- Defense: I didn't think our D was great yesterday, although they hit some tough contested 3 PT shots (more than I would have expected), but while we did a good job at 2 PT range versus them, we held them to their lowest FG% of the year yesterday, and 4th lowest eFG% of the year. In other words, they hit some 3 PT shots we didn't expect, but we mostly shut them down in the paint and in the mid-range (exactly how we want our scheme to work)

- Rebounding: Providence has won a lot this year by beating people up on the boards. We outrebounded them by 10 (35 to 25) and held them to their 2nd lowest Rebound% this season (only behind what Oklahoma did to them)

- Kalk and Alexander were outstanding. Ashworth had some big moments and continued to look much better with his ballhandling. Worth noting that Kalk completely took Oduro out of the game yesterday - it was by far Oduro's worst game of the year, IMO

- Hopkins being out hurts them, no doubt, but Carter's been, by far, the best player on that team this year, and he was a lot of fun to watch (or would have been if he'd been playing someone else yesterday!).

Still a work in progress, but I feel like a lot of the pieces are coming together right now
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops