DePaul Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: DePaul Game Thread

Postby go_jays » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:00 am

omajay wrote:
SDJay wrote:
thatoneguy wrote:Those announcers didn't even call the game. They had an ongoing discussion about DePaul's potential for 2 hours. That was easily the worst broadcast and broadcast team we've had since moving to the BE. Who would've thought we'd be clamoring to get Pete Gillen back.

I particularly enjoyed the segment about a former Chicagoland high school football player - who didn't attend either university that was playing nor did he play the same sport that was being played. That was timely and added to the broadcast.

I guess there's a reason they're broadcasting on CBSSN.
So cool to think that in much of the CU/MVC era I'd have been happy to have Jays televised. Now I can grouse about the broadcasters, because national TV is the norm now 8-)

Last night's announcers were not good. But, earlier this year, Jimmy Jackson, who is Fox's #2 analyst for Big East basketball, said that Kalkbrenner "has a history of getting into foul trouble and fouling out of games." Jackson has done a lot of CU games the past four years. That statement had to be one of the most inaccurate statements from any announcer.

Jim Jackson is an asshat.
go_jays

Postby Jaybird » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:59 am

We're coming up on the first anniversary of the last time a Creighton player fouled out, and it wasn't Kalkbrenner. Baylor made the walk of shame to the bench against Prov last January 14. The only other time a Jay fouled out last season was Kaluma against BYU. It seems that Jim Jackson is factually challenged.

As for broadcast quality, I remember a Drake roadie in the Valley days when the video feed appeared to be coming from one guy with a handheld camera walking around the court. I'm still willing to take what we can get and be happy we're getting it. But I'll also be happy to criticize any and all of it--especially if we lose. (I'm still blaming Lappas for the Colo St loss, and Raftery for being on hand for both of our BE losses).
Jaybird

Postby thatoneguy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:04 am

I guess there's a reason they're broadcasting on CBSSN.
So cool to think that in much of the CU/MVC era I'd have been happy to have Jays televised. Now I can grouse about the broadcasters, because national TV is the norm now 8-)

Last night's announcers were not good. But, earlier this year, Jimmy Jackson, who is Fox's #2 analyst for Big East basketball, said that Kalkbrenner "has a history of getting into foul trouble and fouling out of games." Jackson has done a lot of CU games the past four years. That statement had to be one of the most inaccurate statements from any announcer.

Jim Jackson is an asshat.

I agree, I don't really care for Jackson and you can tell you does not do game prep for games. HOWEVER, he does at least talk about the game as it is happening and doesn't try to shoehorn some bizarre narrative over the game - all while the run of play is being ignored.
thatoneguy

Postby WBR Tom » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:57 pm

FS1's in game production is miles above CBSSN. Always has been. Their crowd mics are more prominent and higher in the mix, which gives you a better feel for the arena. Their announcers are (for the most part) far better, and more knowledgable about the teams on the court. And they focus on the game, or at the very least, on the sport of college basketball.

I feel like both ESPN and CBSSN seem to be catering to the general sports fan -- so they interject opinions on other sports, and often ignore what's happening on the court, assuming that general sports fans will stay engaged if the announcers talk about a variety of topics. FS1 seems to understand that most viewers are actually watching because they're either college hoops fans or a fan of one of the two teams, so they leave the NFL/NBA/college football stuff alone for the most part. I really appreciate that.

I notice it on ESPN's coverage of other sports, too. I don't need their MLB announcers to talk about the stories of the day in the sports world, but they do. If I'm watching a Big 12 football game, do I care to hear a bunch of talk about an SEC game later that night? ESPN thinks I do.

There's exceptions, obviously, but I've never watched a game on FS1 and had the reaction I did to The Two Chris' this week on CBSSN. They were hosting a talk show while a game was happening in front of them. They're officially on my "don't listen" list with Steve Lappas -- any time I see that he's calling a Jays game on CBSSN I sync up the 1620 audio feed as close as I can and mute the TV.

I do wish FS1 still had live halftime shows all the time, or live pre-and-post game shoulder programming. Even if CBSSN's studio means you have to listen to Jon Rothstein's catch phrase drinking game, at least they make the effort.
WBR Tom

Postby go_jays » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:03 pm

While I would generally agree with you on Lappas. He did seem a little more prepared and not as stiff as he had been sounding prior to the last game he "analyzed" for us.
go_jays

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops