DePaul Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: DePaul Game Thread

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:03 pm

The last three minutes of the announcer rambling about college basketball was absolutely remarkable.

“If St. John’s can qualify for the tournament, they’re my favorite to make the Final Four” is gold. (paraphrasing)
vivid_dude

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:07 am

JacobPadilla

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:52 am

I was going to post that too. We basically got what we wanted. A blowout win and no starter played more than Ashworth's 28 min and Kalk only played 23.

Obviously it was just DePaul and they aren't good and don't have height but I thought has been a little more aggressive on the boards that past few games. He has had 9,12,9 in the past 3 games.
skinzfan23

Postby Venturajay » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:55 am

Nice win, but wow Depaul is really bad. I feel for their coach, Stubblefield, Depaul is a train station with players coming and going out of the portal - tough situation.
Venturajay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:52 am

Hard to learn much from a game like this other than that we did what we had to do by showing up prepared and focused. DePaul has some good athletes/players, but they end up way less than the sum of their parts on the court. On defense you can really see the issues of having so many new faces as they don't communicate much and it's hard to see what they want to do on offense

Big 3 played great, Ashworth handled PG duties most of the game and while his 3 PT shots didn't fall, I liked what I saw otherwise (including the pull up jumpers). Miller showed us a nice drive in addition to hitting a 3

Bench all played and did pretty well. Traudt hit a couple of 3's, and is maybe out of that slump. King got extended minutes and only had 2 fouls in 16 minutes, Green and Dotzler should both be good players for us. Lawson remains an intriguing player for me. He has nice form on his shot and has some interesting skills, but I just get the feeling he needs to really put a full year of S&C into the mix in order to move up his minutes

In terms of how did we do versus the other teams who've played DePaul (using the offensive/defensive game ratings on BBall reference)

- defensively they had their 3rd worst offensive game of the year versus us with only Northwestern and Nova holding them down more defensively. We did about the same as UConn

- offensively we had the 4th best offensive game against them behind Texas A&M, UConn, and Iowa State. Just a bit ahead of Villanova who blasted them

(for points of reference, we had the best defensive performance of the year versus Nebraska so far, and the 3rd best Offensive performance, versus Providence we had the best offensive performance of the year against them and the 4th best defensive performance)
Chicagojayfan

Postby thatoneguy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:01 pm

Those announcers didn't even call the game. They had an ongoing discussion about DePaul's potential for 2 hours. That was easily the worst broadcast and broadcast team we've had since moving to the BE. Who would've thought we'd be clamoring to get Pete Gillen back.

I particularly enjoyed the segment about a former Chicagoland high school football player - who didn't attend either university that was playing nor did he play the same sport that was being played. That was timely and added to the broadcast.
thatoneguy

Postby SDJay » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:09 pm

thatoneguy wrote:Those announcers didn't even call the game. They had an ongoing discussion about DePaul's potential for 2 hours. That was easily the worst broadcast and broadcast team we've had since moving to the BE. Who would've thought we'd be clamoring to get Pete Gillen back.

I particularly enjoyed the segment about a former Chicagoland high school football player - who didn't attend either university that was playing nor did he play the same sport that was being played. That was timely and added to the broadcast.

I guess there's a reason they're broadcasting on CBSSN.
So cool to think that in much of the CU/MVC era I'd have been happy to have Jays televised. Now I can grouse about the broadcasters, because national TV is the norm now 8-)
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby TrueBlueJay » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:47 pm

thatoneguy wrote:Those announcers didn't even call the game. They had an ongoing discussion about DePaul's potential for 2 hours. That was easily the worst broadcast and broadcast team we've had since moving to the BE. Who would've thought we'd be clamoring to get Pete Gillen back.

It was pretty obvious how awful they were from the start when they talked about how great the crowd was and all of the energy in the building.
TrueBlueJay

Postby omajay » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:50 pm

SDJay wrote:

I guess there's a reason they're broadcasting on CBSSN.
So cool to think that in much of the CU/MVC era I'd have been happy to have Jays televised. Now I can grouse about the broadcasters, because national TV is the norm now 8-)

Last night's announcers were not good. But, earlier this year, Jimmy Jackson, who is Fox's #2 analyst for Big East basketball, said that Kalkbrenner "has a history of getting into foul trouble and fouling out of games." Jackson has done a lot of CU games the past four years. That statement had to be one of the most inaccurate statements from any announcer.
omajay

Postby WBR Tom » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Here's my recap and analysis of the win, with highlights, quotes and more:

https://whiteandbluereview.com/postgame ... er-depaul/
WBR Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops