St. John's Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: St. John's Game Thread

Postby section221jay » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:39 pm

Ethanfor3 wrote:Didn’t see anything anywhere, unless I missed in this thread. What happened to King? Why no PT other than 1min, and from warm ups it looked like they had no intention of him playing.

What’s up?

Could be practice issues, etc. but I suspect that Mac was concerned that Soriano would abuse him pretty badly and rolled the dice on playing Kalk the whole game. As it turned out every bucket, rebound etc. was the difference in the game.

I haven't ready every post but I think Mac deserves a ton of credit for that win yesterday. Playing Bello the last 10 min or so probably would have sounded crazy if proppsed at the time but I think it played a big part in the win (not to discount Miller...I thought his minutes were very productive).
section221jay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:49 pm

Think the deal with King has to be way more about how much he has struggled lately than really a fear of Soriano. Green got in to spell Kalk in the first half before King. And Soriano sat for over 7 minutes. King has just really really struggled to do anything positive of late.

And bello was solid — but man Miller was really good before getting inexplicably benched. Bello wasn’t going to get rebounds or bring that same energy for the last 1/4 of the game. It worked but think Miller could have been a positive in there too.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:55 pm

IMHO, Fred may be in a bit of a slump defensively. As others have noted, Fred only started playing a few years ago. He has a ton of potential.

Against Soriano et al, Mac probably didn’t want to take Kalk out of the game.
SeattleJay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:41 pm

SeattleJay wrote:IMHO, Fred may be in a bit of a slump defensively. As others have noted, Fred only started playing a few years ago. He has a ton of potential.

He didn’t want to take Kalk out and didn’t much — but when he did, he went to Green first. That’s the point.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:03 pm

SeattleJay wrote:IMHO, Fred may be in a bit of a slump defensively. As others have noted, Fred only started playing a few years ago. He has a ton of potential.

I think you're definitely right about Mac wanting to have Kalk in the game. IMO, it was one of the biggest advantages we had over them as a team since Kalkbrenner was playing Soriano one on one w/o help very successfully

As you say King's really been struggling (although he looked to play better vs. DePaul), but DePaul's backups aren't Soriano either. And Green was a change up, but he has some really impressive defensive potential. So no idea if King was banged up or Green just had an awesome week at practice, or if Mac just thought Green would do better, though
Chicagojayfan

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:53 pm

Worth noting: Green came in for 50 seconds when Soriano was on the bench in the first half. King came in during the second half when Soriano was still on the floor for about a minute (slightly less, I believe).

I could be wrong but I think it was about the matchup rather than Green moving ahead of King as the backup center. Mac also said in the post game that he was concerned about SJU’s small lineup.
SeattleJay

Postby jays911 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:41 pm

Meanwhile, the Johnnie’s are still whining about the refs.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby cu8493 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:00 pm

We noticed that King was not on the floor for warmups prior to the team going back to locker room the last time before the game. He was in the layup line when they came back out before introductions. Maybe under the weather a little?

I will add: really enjoyed watching Pitino work. No whining about every call. Asked for explanations and either nodded his head or gave ref a “Really?” look and walked away to coach his guys. Guy might be slimy as all get out, but he is a heckuva coach, IMO.
cu8493

Postby SDJay » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:46 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Worth noting: Green came in for 50 seconds when Soriano was on the bench in the first half. King came in during the second half when Soriano was still on the floor for about a minute (slightly less, I believe).

I could be wrong but I think it was about the matchup rather than Green moving ahead of King as the backup center. Mac also said in the post game that he was concerned about SJU’s small lineup.

I think it was right after Kalk missed all 3 FT's. Maybe tired legs...
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby slaw » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 pm

Did Creighton express an interest in RJ Luis when he was in the transfer portal? For some reason, I think I remember reading a tweet that we were mentioned as a team that reached out.
slaw

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops