UConn Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: UConn Game Thread

Postby ILikeStuff » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:44 pm

Appreciate the replies - it was driving me crazy and was wondering if my understanding of the rule was outdated. End of the day - if it's not being called, you're all right that you've got to adapt. I saw Kalk do something similar a time or two - but he was much less effective at getting our guy the same space as both Johnson and Clingan were getting their men all night. End result is the UConn player getting into the lane FAR ahead of a Jay and forcing Kalk to choose to defend the handler or the roller - giving them the option to take the opposite choice and either shoot wide open or feed the wide open roll.
ILikeStuff

Postby Realhoops » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:34 pm

Go back and watch the St. John's game. Every single possession (or at least so it felt) they set several screens where the screener threw a big hip check into the defender trying to get by. It's part of why I think SJU is really lucky the foul discrepancy wasn't much, much higher. Without going back and rewatching the game, I'll say that in person and live it felt like there were very few possessions the entire game where they scored without at least one (and usually more) illegal screens to get that guy into that midrange stuff they hit.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:12 pm

While this last loss was certainly disappointing, let’s keep this game in perspective.

We got beat badly by a team that is number one in the country, is defending national champion and playing on their home court. They also seemed pretty fired up to play CU (a sign of respect for the program).

As many people have said, it’s a long way from the Valley days.

Hopefully, we learned a lot and will compete at a higher level going forward. Let’s get it started with Seton Hall tomorrow in their gym.
SeattleJay

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops