Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Seton Hall Game Thread

Postby SeattleJay » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:53 am

Great camera angles and John Bishop play by play in this highlight video:

https://x.com/bluejaymbb/status/1749231 ... l3-wNpRD8w
SeattleJay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:00 pm

It's absolutely incredible how Seton Hall fans online are STILL fully convinced and loudly proclaiming everywhere about how much they were cheated by the officials in the game and how it wasn't fair that Alexander was allowed to play as physically as he did against Richmond. I get that every fan base is going to view games through the lens of its own team -- but man, that's like drug-induced delusion right there.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby #RollJays » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:23 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:It's absolutely incredible how Seton Hall fans online are STILL fully convinced and loudly proclaiming everywhere about how much they were cheated by the officials in the game and how it wasn't fair that Alexander was allowed to play as physically as he did against Richmond. I get that every fan base is going to view games through the lens of its own team -- but man, that's like drug-induced delusion right there.

My favorite was Kadary just completely running over Trey underneath the hoop while making zero attempt to shoot the ball and then getting 2 free throws instead of a 1&1. The refs just are allowing way too much physicality in Creighton games because teams see that as the way to bog us down. When you do that, you lose control of the game. Kadary got away with several separation creating push offs. He also got fouled more times than they called for him. But those situations are probably 75-25 in favor of the former instead of 50-50. Also, obviously nobody under 25 remembers what it was like to get called for carrying the basketball but Kadary takes it to the extreme. You're taking skill out of the game when you allow people to maintain their dribble like that in my opinion. The way the Marquette, Providence, St. Johns & Seton Hall games were officiated is a big disadvantage to our style of play. If you disagree, watch an ACC or SEC game.
#RollJays

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:38 pm

I watched the end of FAMU and UTSA yesterday. Last 5 minutes of regulation and into the overtimes the officials practically blew a whistle on every single possession. It was definitely too much -- BUT they were whistling the slightest possible contact on rebounds, drives, etc. It was like a completely foreign sport to what we've seen in the Big East so far. There has to be a suitable middle ground.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:05 am

SeattleJay wrote:Kadary Richmond coming off two BE player of the week awards, was 8 for 32 from the floor.

I think it was mostly Trey guarding him. Of course, it helps to have Kalk at your back.

I truly believe Kalk was in his head. After getting swatted he was really uncomfortable in the post.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:24 am

Schick and Nick are

a) mostly nonsensical
b) mostly Husker driven
c) a "sports" podcast?
d) All of the above, but I listen anyway.

That being said, click on this link, go listen to this week's pod if you don't already. This takes you to their page, I won't tell you the name of this week's pod, but I think you can figure it out based on John Bishop's feelings after the Seton Hall game. And you'll get some great Bishop nuggets from the game.

https://hurrdatsports.com/shows/the-sch ... nick-show/
thatoneguy

Postby SeattleJay » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:28 am

AttyAlum wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Kadary Richmond coming off two BE player of the week awards, was 8 for 32 from the floor.

I think it was mostly Trey guarding him. Of course, it helps to have Kalk at your back.

I truly believe Kalk was in his head. After getting swatted he was really uncomfortable in the post.

You might be right. I went back to the play by play and Kalk blocked 5 of his shots. Trey blocked 2 of his shots on one possession. Hard to know what a guy is thinking.

Baylor also guarded him a bit at the end.
SeattleJay

Postby JayPak » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Great camera angles and John Bishop play by play in this highlight video:

https://x.com/bluejaymbb/status/1749231 ... l3-wNpRD8w

I title this video “Things that are not fouls in the BE.”
See time stamps:
0:17-0:20
0:39
0:40-0:42
1:30-1:33
2:05
2:27
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby WBR Tom » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:32 pm

thatoneguy wrote:Schick and Nick are

a) mostly nonsensical
b) mostly Husker driven
c) a "sports" podcast?

That being said, click on this link, go listen to this week's pod if you don't already. This takes you to their page, I won't tell you the name of this week's pod, but I think you can figure it out based on John Bishop's feelings after the Seton Hall game. And you'll get some great Bishop nuggets from the game.

The montage starts at around the 11:45 mark if you want to skip ahead.

"Here's Trey in transition, and he got knocked to the deck. Mother McCree, he got knocked to the deck AGAIN! When is this kid gonna get a call?"

"Two-man game for Addae-Wusu, and OH, they called a foul THERE? Trey's getting mugged on this end and they call THAT garbage?"

"Kalkbrenner down low...another NO CALL! (long pause, perhaps debating whether to say this or not) Evan Burroughs, YOU SUCK!"

"Here's Richmond, pull up free throw line, no good! Rebound Trey Alexander. Into the front court, here's Scheierman, and we're going to get a foul. HEY, THEY CALLED THE FOUL! (loud clapping for about five seconds, mock cheering them) Congratulations, Greg Evans! You get a prize!"

"30 seconds left, Jays up by four. Richmond quickly up the hill, goes through contact, and they called the blocking foul. (mock sarcastic laughing) HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA! 24 seconds left, Richmond was out of control, went right through Trey Alexander and they called the blocking foul. Bravo, boys, BRAVO."

Keep in mind John is sitting courtside within earshot of these officials as he's screaming and mocking them by name, not in a press box far above the court. Classic. And gutsy. Makes me wonder what would happen if a thin-skinned official overheard one of these rants and got offended enough to kick an announcer out of the arena. We'd get Rob Anderson on emergency PBP duty! :lol:
WBR Tom

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:41 pm

WBR Tom wrote:
thatoneguy wrote:Schick and Nick are

a) mostly nonsensical
b) mostly Husker driven
c) a "sports" podcast?

The montage starts at around the 11:45 mark if you want to skip ahead.

"Here's Trey in transition, and he got knocked to the deck. Mother McCree, he got knocked to the deck AGAIN! When is this kid gonna get a call?"

"Two-man game for Addae-Wusu, and OH, they called a foul THERE? Trey's getting mugged on this end and they call THAT garbage?"

"Kalkbrenner down low...another NO CALL! (long pause, perhaps debating whether to say this or not) Evan Burroughs, YOU SUCK!"

"Here's Richmond, pull up free throw line, no good! Rebound Trey Alexander. Into the front court, here's Scheierman, and we're going to get a foul. HEY, THEY CALLED THE FOUL! (loud clapping for about five seconds, mock cheering them) Congratulations, Greg Evans! You get a prize!"

Keep in mind John is sitting courtside within earshot of these officials as he's screaming and mocking them by name, not in a press box far above the court. Classic. And gutsy. Makes me wonder what would happen if a thin-skinned official overheard one of these rants and got offended enough to kick an announcer out of the arena. We'd get Rob Anderson on emergency PBP duty! :lol:

HA! Reminds me of this interaction where Bo Borowski tried to talk to a radio broadcaster during the game about a "cheap foul" - https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-th ... ncaab.html
thatoneguy

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops