DePaul Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: DePaul Game Thread II

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:32 am

Really unfortunate that the guys didn’t come out ready to play. Worst defensive effort I can recall in the first half. And I don’t remember any other game ever when Kalkbrenner has been posterized three times in one game — and it happened here against DePaul.

They scored pretty easily and effectively all night, but just a little bit of defense in the first half might have allowed them to have it over with before the last 5 minutes.

Great record through January. Rest up and get ready for a tough February. Get the toughest teams at home now, but 3/4 of the DePaul / GT games are over with too.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:37 am

The Pink Out is a great event and it shows the best side of Mac, the Team, and all of the Fans

Not the kind of game that will change our KenPom or NET much so I can kind of understand the slower first half for the team. That said, I do think the new coach had them playing harder in some ways and one indication was that we had 0 fast break points in the first half. But that doesn't take away from our D that was a bit lethargic in the first half and how we gave up 1.156 PPP to them in the half

Offense:
I don't think we had a light's out shooting night (although a couple of people were very on target all night), but we moved the ball pretty well, though, and got mostly very good shots (DePaul's D really struggles with more than a bit of movement and passing) and put up a .578 eFG% (slightly below what we did against Xavier .588)

Defense:
First half D wasn't very good, but we tightened up considerably in the second half (1.156 PPP to .735 PPP from first to 2nd). They have some people who can score and last game out they had a good game offensively against Marquette so the D we saw in the second half was a quality outing

Turnovers:
Outside of UConn our Turnovers have been solid since the ugly stretch against Nova, Marquette, GT, and PRovidence, but I thought that especially first half turnovers by us were a bit sloppy and kept us from going into half with something closer to a 10 pts lead

Rebounds
We have some stretches with us giving up Offensive rebounds every game, but last night was another good game on the boards where we outrebounded them 41-30

Individual Play:
Kalk didn't have his best game finishing, but we consistently went to him and it gave us options on offense outside of depending on 3's to fall. They were playing him very physically inside and the refs mostly let the teams play on, and he was able to get the double-double anyway
Alexander was only 25% from 3 PT, but scored 8/12 from 2 PT range, and stuffed the box score with 7 assists and 4 boards
Baylor had a "quiet" 16 pts on only 9 shots, but also got the double-double by adding 10 boards
Ashworth finally started hitting more of those 3's w/ 5/9 from 3 PT range -- if he keeps hitting consistently, that adds an entire new dimension to the offense. As others pointed out, he took Jalen Terry mostly out of the game last night (Terry had put up 15 against Butler and 22 against Marquette in his last 2 games)
the 4's - not a great game for our PF's, but they only got 5 shots. Usually they are the last option on the floor when the game is in doubt and while we look for great shots, if a D gives us great shots earlier on, the 4's won't get as much usage -- and DePaul gives up great shots all of the time. I thought both Miller and Traudt did some good things, though

If anything disappointed me a bit it's that I thought the last few bench minutes weren't as sharp as I like, but Traudt got off the bench and hit a bucket, and we got a game where we had a chance to play King 12 minutes
Chicagojayfan

Postby jaysfor3 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:14 am

Overly simple review here, but I have to say it was refreshing to watch a game, despite the 1H sluggish performance, where it didn't seem like our opponent played rugby against us, e.g.; shoving, hacking arms and hands, body slamming, while the ref's swallowed their whistles. :D

Beyond this, wow, the bench (excluding FF, Traudt, Fred) really need look more like they're ready for the moment even if it's just three and half minutes left in an "already over" game, i.e.; "seize the moment," whatever moment you get.

I realize they don't get the rep's during games, but shouldn't practice be sharpening their readiness? I do like the tenacity of Jasen G though...
jaysfor3

Postby #RollJays » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:45 am

Last night was a good reminder why we only go 8 deep with the 7th and 8th guys only getting a few minutes. Almost have to change defensive schemes with King in the game.
#RollJays

Postby Venturajay » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:53 am

Nice win even though it was DePaul.
Venturajay

Postby Venturajay » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:56 am

#RollJays wrote:Last night was a good reminder why we only go 8 deep with the 7th and 8th guys only getting a few minutes. Almost have to change defensive schemes with King in the game.

Yep, we are a six deep team with a 7th and 8th guy good for about five minutes a game. Traudt was highly recruited , I think like a top 100 guy, but man is he slow.
Venturajay

Postby Jaysfan100 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Venturajay wrote:
#RollJays wrote:Last night was a good reminder why we only go 8 deep with the 7th and 8th guys only getting a few minutes. Almost have to change defensive schemes with King in the game.

Yep, we are a six deep team with a 7th and 8th guy good for about five minutes a game. Traudt was highly recruited , I think like a top 100 guy, but man is he slow.

Issac could end up being a 5 before his time is up here.
Jaysfan100

Postby anotherjayfan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:29 pm

Traudt a better Hegner?
anotherjayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:29 pm

Jaysfan100 wrote:
Venturajay wrote:

Issac could end up being a 5 before his time is up here.

If Kalk goes pro next year, I think we'll need Traudt to play some stretch 5 for us, and likely for Miller to play some 3 as well

Interesting to me is where Traudt and Lawson will be after a full offseason with our S&C team. I think Traudt can lean down a bit and get quicker. Although he's never going to be a guy who chases a guard around on the perimeter.

I also think Lawson has potential. He's playing behind Alexander and Baylor so playing time just isn't there to see what he can do to the fullest extent, but I also think he needs just a year to add bulk and muscle for the BE

Anyway, especially if we retool the D a bit to hedge more on D and not do much drop coverage, I can see Traudt playing a lot at the 5
Chicagojayfan

Postby WBR Tom » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:03 pm

Recap, highlights and more from Matt D. over on WBR:

https://whiteandbluereview.com/second-h ... ame-crowd/
WBR Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops