RVB

Re: Providence Game Thread II

Postby drbluejay » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:08 am

Jays -2
Tough place to play but I feel a win.
drbluejay

Postby Realhoops » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:04 am

We have just historically not played well at that place, and with them coming in somewhat desperate I don't anticipate things going well. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't have any expectation of us suddenly lighting up their gym.

Since we've joined the Big East, more often than not we have lost by double digits at Providence. 3-7 coming in, with 5 of those losses being double digits (and another by 8). The Doug team that nearly ran that first season in the Big East lost there. One of our 3 wins was the COVID year with no fans in attendance, so we actually are only 2-7 with fans in the building.

Prove me wrong, fellas. Please.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:17 pm

Realhoops wrote:We have just historically not played well at that place, and with them coming in somewhat desperate I don't anticipate things going well. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't have any expectation of us suddenly lighting up their gym.

Since we've joined the Big East, more often than not we have lost by double digits at Providence. 3-7 coming in, with 5 of those losses being double digits (and another by 8). The Doug team that nearly ran that first season in the Big East lost there. One of our 3 wins was the COVID year with no fans in attendance, so we actually are only 2-7 with fans in the building.

Prove me wrong, fellas. Please.

It's not just a Creighton thing.

From Rob's game notes:

AMP'd Up
- Not many teams have had much road success against Providence, as the Friars are 102-25 (.803) since the start of the 2016-17 season.
- PC has hosted 47 different teams, but only 13 schools have beaten them at home.
- Seton Hall and Villanova both have four road wins, while Creighton and Xavier each own three victories in Friartown since then.
- Since the start of the 2021-22 campaign, Providence is 42-5 at home. Those 42 home wins are tied for seventh-most nationally, trailing only Houston, Arizona, Saint Mary's, Texas, Kansas and Wake Forest.

That being said, they've lost twice at home this season — the Seton Hall game when they lost Hopkins and Xavier on Jan. 13.
JacobPadilla

Postby John Bishop » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:25 pm

It is just a very different vibe in that building. It can be a hostile crowd (though I think Lincoln is a 10 on that scale while Providence would be an 8.) but it just seems like no team feeds off the home energy in our league better than the Friars do when at home.

I'll be curious given the tough stretch they are in and it is a mid-week game at 8:30 local time what the mood will be like in the AMP.
John Bishop

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:37 pm

Historically tough place to play for us and for everyone (as people have noted), but we have a tough team as well and have 5 real road wins already this year. I'm guessing the Home loss to Butler will have us fired up to steal one back on the road

I'd add that we also have a better matchup vs. Oduro than most teams who play Providence this year
Chicagojayfan

Postby WBR Tom » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:32 pm

Here's the Pregame Primer for tonight:

https://whiteandbluereview.com/pregame- ... rovidence/
WBR Tom

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:40 pm

Didn't realize that Providence in Omaha was the only single-digit game for Baylor all year. Hopefully he does better tonight.
skinzfan23

Postby chairclanger » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:24 pm

Stripes. If the Providence rugby team has less than 15 fouls, we lose.
chairclanger

Postby GWJay » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:40 pm

Oddly optimistic here unless Oduro gets hot early. Jays by 7
GWJay

Next

Return to Men's Hoops