Xavier Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Xavier Game Thread II

Postby SDJay » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:27 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
wildjays wrote:The Bluejay Beat podcast with Matt and Jacob is posted, available to our Patreon subscribers. They have a lot to say after this one.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link

Well, I finally got a crowbar to my wallet and paid the $5 a month for Patreon. Definitely worth it for my Bluejay obsession.

+1
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby CUGrads03 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:01 am

JacobPadilla wrote:Talked about this on the pod, but it's kind of wild rewatching the game and taking notes and then going back in reading this game thread. I get the emotional swings of being a fan, but man.

While I’m not defending the emotional swings of everyone here, I do think it’s unfair to know the outcome of a game, rewatch while taking your notes, then come on a message board and say you “get emotional swings of fans” but then sort of scoff at them. Vastly different scenarios occurring.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:13 am

CUGrads03 wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:Talked about this on the pod, but it's kind of wild rewatching the game and taking notes and then going back in reading this game thread. I get the emotional swings of being a fan, but man.

While I’m not defending the emotional swings of everyone here, I do think it’s unfair to know the outcome of a game, rewatch while taking your notes, then come on a message board and say you “get emotional swings of fans” but then sort of scoff at them. Vastly different scenarios occurring.

Wow, what a comeback. You’re absolutely right, too.

The chorus to ‘Eye In The Sky’ just popped into my head.
HandDownManDown

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:58 pm

CUGrads03 wrote:

Counter to this, don't be so overly reactionary (not you; whoever). I am so happy coaches don't listen to fans. Mason Miller exceeds most expectations during the first half of the season, has a rough few games, and people are burying him. Ashworth was "garbage" and not Big East material and lost and all these other things based on a ridiculously low sample size after transferring to a new school and system. I mean, do people really think he forgot how to shoot and play basketball?. Kalkbrenner was soft and disinterested.

I might be painting too broad a picture here, since it's usually the same emotionally stunted posters with this type of reflexive feedback. If you're offended by this characterization, it's probably you.
vivid_dude

Postby Altmanforprez » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:42 pm

What I get frustrated with my friends on their in game reactions is that if you watch enough college basketball you realize what happens in Creighton games isn’t much different than what happens in any other college basketball game (except for the fact Creighton’s guards never get a whistle going to the rim).

Xavier was going to make a push after they got down 20, that almost always happens. Like someone else mentioned, if we have a couple of those open shots in that stretch it wouldn’t have felt uncomfortable, but they managed to get locked back in and finish the game out on the road. Slightly different situation since it was an injury that seemed to turn the tides, but Minnesota was up 20 @Iowa in the 2nd half yesterday and managed to give the lead and the game to Iowa pretty quickly.

If you’re going to be upset at a moment in a game I get it, but these games play out over several stretches. Falling behind by 9 out of the gate isn’t ideal, but that’s something a team like Creighton is going to be able to overcome most nights.
Altmanforprez

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:05 pm

Altmanforprez wrote:What I get frustrated with my friends on their in game reactions is that if you watch enough college basketball you realize what happens in Creighton games isn’t much different than what happens in any other college basketball game (except for the fact Creighton’s guards never get a whistle going to the rim).

Xavier was going to make a push after they got down 20, that almost always happens. Like someone else mentioned, if we have a couple of those open shots in that stretch it wouldn’t have felt uncomfortable, but they managed to get locked back in and finish the game out on the road. Slightly different situation since it was an injury that seemed to turn the tides, but Minnesota was up 20 @Iowa in the 2nd half yesterday and managed to give the lead and the game to Iowa pretty quickly.

If you’re going to be upset at a moment in a game I get it, but these games play out over several stretches. Falling behind by 9 out of the gate isn’t ideal, but that’s something a team like Creighton is going to be able to overcome most nights.

This is what I was pointing to. The response to a rough start on the road isn't, "Well that was rough; gonna have to settle in." It's straight to "We're going to get run off the court," "9 seed incoming," "enjoy the bubble," etc. I just don't understand that mindset where the team is only as good as its last mistake and everything else that has happened doesn't matter. That goes for players who hit a rough patch as well, like vivd said.

Basketball is a complex game and it's never as simple as the other team scoring means bad defense by Creighton, and Creighton missing shots means bad offense and a terrible game plan.

Fan however you want to fan. I'm not a moderator here. It's just that immediately defaulting to the worst case scenario at the first sign of adversity seems like a miserable way to watch college basketball, and it doesn't make for interesting discourse (which is what I'm looking for on a message board) in my mind.
JacobPadilla

Postby vjay » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:26 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
CUGrads03 wrote:

Counter to this, don't be so overly reactionary (not you; whoever). I am so happy coaches don't listen to fans. Mason Miller exceeds most expectations during the first half of the season, has a rough few games, and people are burying him. Ashworth was "garbage" and not Big East material and lost and all these other things based on a ridiculously low sample size after transferring to a new school and system. I mean, do people really think he forgot how to shoot and play basketball?. Kalkbrenner was soft and disinterested.

I might be painting too broad a picture here, since it's usually the same emotionally stunted posters with this type of reflexive feedback. If you're offended by this characterization, it's probably you.

While I read this board daily, I rarely post. Had to comment on this though as Vivid hits the nail on the head...

While I think that game threads are idiotic, I get that it's an outlet for those that want to post their feelings regarding what's happening while they're watching the game. They wouldn't post if they didn't care about the team and how well or poorly they are doing.

With all that said, those "emotionally stunted posters" (perfect characterization) have some takes that are so over the top it's hard to believe they're watching the same game as everyone else. The ones that use "soft" or "quit" as their default critique lose any credibility.
vjay

Postby Angry Dan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:21 pm

GWJay wrote:Our legs are shot, totally cooked. Trey and Baylor can't draw fouls while driving in the lane cause they can barely get off the ground

This one caught my eye. I was watching the same game and didn’t notice that Trey and Baylor could barely get off the ground.
Angry Dan

Postby #RollJays » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:39 pm

Angry Dan wrote:
GWJay wrote:Our legs are shot, totally cooked. Trey and Baylor can't draw fouls while driving in the lane cause they can barely get off the ground

This one caught my eye. I was watching the same game and didn’t notice that Trey and Baylor could barely get off the ground.

I watched Baylor get smacked in the face and dunk on the other team's center.
#RollJays

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:42 pm

You must be referring to this: :lol:

skinzfan23

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops