Georgetown Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Georgetown Game Thread II

Postby Altmanforprez » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:33 am

ictjay wrote:Worrywarts. Mac has his best recruited class ever coming in. Don't think he is in the mood to get his brains beat in for who knows how long in the Big Ten. Ain't happening. Doug could very well not get picked up next year and retire.

I'm just trying to lay the groundwork mentally so if it does happen I'm not broken :lol:

But really, if you are Ohio State I'm not sure why a coach who pretty clearly intends to retire in the next 5 years would be your number 1 target.
Altmanforprez

Postby SDJay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:47 am

ictjay wrote:Worrywarts. Mac has his best recruited class ever coming in. Don't think he is in the mood to get his brains beat in for who knows how long in the Big Ten. Ain't happening. Doug could very well not get picked up next year and retire.

My take, also.
I can't imagine trying to generate NIL money for a BB program at a school like Ohio State where the FB program will forever be ascendant.
Biggest fish in a smaller pond vs. trying to grab crumbs from the banquet feast of the football program.
(I know, mixing metaphors...)
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:08 pm

Altmanforprez wrote:The biggest concern I have with Mac leaving for Ohio State (should Holtmann be fired) has less to do with his situation at Creighton and everything to do with the fact Doug is back at the Pacers. I know Mac loves Creighton and Omaha, but his kids have graduated and gone their own paths and Columbus to Indy is a quick drive to watch Doug play.

I have zero insider information, but just my thought process. Get a bag to coach for a few years and watch your son play the end of his NBA career is pretty logical and I could see Mac doing that. The good news is we have a lot of good, young options with Creighton connections. We’ve seen in the Big East that losing a star coach isn’t a death sentence to the bottom of the league.

Regardless, I’m going to enjoy this season and hope for another run in the tourney and worry about off-season speculation once the final buzzer sounds. (Just don’t pull a Cooley if you leave, Mac)

Wrong. It absolutely has to do with his situation at Creighton.

Everyone stating all the good around this job and what we have coming in and our NIL etc, is missing the point. There are issues behind the scenes and have been for 3 years now. Fans pretending otherwise are in denial.

CU should be doing whatever it takes to keep him. My worry is that it's 100% possible for the admin to F it up.
bluejayfan00

Postby thatoneguy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:10 pm

dollarbeernight wrote:I have been going to games for 50 years and was there tonight. The game was well in hand in the second half. This head coaching job has always been better than its inhabitant (aside from horrible AD's who had other agendas --might have that now. IDK?) EITHER GREG IS LEAVING OR HIS BENCH IS LEAVING AT THE END OF THIS SEASON. I don't claim to know which it will be but it is obvious at this point.

I don't typically respond to this level of idiocy but ...

Dollarbeernight, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
thatoneguy

Postby bleedblue » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:22 pm

Macs message for why he didn't go to OSU a few years ago was "you don't mess with happy". There's been plenty of rumors about Mac and Blossom not getting along as well as he did with Ras but there likely wasn't anyone who Mac would like as much as Bruce. I think speculating about him leaving right now is foolish, this isn't like Cooley last year checking out from providence mid-season. Mac is locked in, loves this team and is looking to make another run in March.
bleedblue

Postby ictjay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:28 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
Altmanforprez wrote:The biggest concern I have with Mac leaving for Ohio State (should Holtmann be fired) has less to do with his situation at Creighton and everything to do with the fact Doug is back at the Pacers. I know Mac loves Creighton and Omaha, but his kids have graduated and gone their own paths and Columbus to Indy is a quick drive to watch Doug play.

I have zero insider information, but just my thought process. Get a bag to coach for a few years and watch your son play the end of his NBA career is pretty logical and I could see Mac doing that. The good news is we have a lot of good, young options with Creighton connections. We’ve seen in the Big East that losing a star coach isn’t a death sentence to the bottom of the league.

Regardless, I’m going to enjoy this season and hope for another run in the tourney and worry about off-season speculation once the final buzzer sounds. (Just don’t pull a Cooley if you leave, Mac)

Everyone stating all the good around this job and what we have coming in and our NIL etc, is missing the point. There are issues behind the scenes and have been for 3 years now. Fans pretending otherwise are in denial.

CU should be doing whatever it takes to keep him. My worry is that it's 100% possible for the admin to F it up.

I've listened to that crap since everyone said Dana is headed to the NBA. Heard it about this President and that AD. Why did Mac re-up in 2022 when all the same people were in place? And believe it or not, Creighton Bball has one of the best NIL's in the country.
OK BluejayfanOO, what is the "backstory"?
ictjay

Postby JaysLifer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:59 pm

JayPak wrote:
drbluejay wrote:Super night for Baylor getting CU's first triple double in 39 years but Trey wins my standout player of the game award.
Baylor wins the game ball as he is the do it all guy that doesn't come along very often.

The standout player doesn’t get the game ball?

I didn't realize anyone ever actually read these posts...
JaysLifer

Postby JayPak » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:13 pm

bleedblue wrote:Macs message for why he didn't go to OSU a few years ago was "you don't mess with happy". There's been plenty of rumors about Mac and Blossom not getting along as well as he did with Ras but there likely wasn't anyone who Mac would like as much as Bruce. I think speculating about him leaving right now is foolish, this isn't like Cooley last year checking out from providence mid-season. Mac is locked in, loves this team and is looking to make another run in March.

No one has suggested Mac is checking out on this team mid-season.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:43 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:

Say what’s going on behind the scenes instead of beating around the bush in every thread on the topic
BenningtonBluejay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:22 pm

BenningtonBluejay wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:

Say what’s going on behind the scenes instead of beating around the bush in every thread on the topic

What else is there to be explained? It's been talked about many times over the years. From everything I have ever heard, and I know I'm not the only one, this has been something that has been brewing ever since the "plantation" comments. It's hard to talk about it on this board in particular because more than half of the posters will say it's fake, not true, just wild rumors, etc. So what's the point? But since you asked so nicely, I'll lay it out again.

Hendrickson wanted Mac fired for the plantation comment. Ras said no. Stood up for Mac. Hendrickson wanted something to happen. Ras retired.

Mac was unhappy with how the university seemingly didn't have his back after one mistake, given his track record of being a good guy to everyone who has ever encountered him. Mac was peeved by Hendrickson.

A lot of the old/long timers in the AD wanted Burgers promoted to AD. Heard he didn't even get an interview. Blossom was hand picked by Hendrickson, came in and shook everything up, and multiple associate AD's were basically told their services weren't wanted anymore, and if they wanted to stay, would have to be in a diminished role. That didn't sit right with many, including Mac.

I don't have any reason to think there are a ton of personal issues with Mac and Blossom, but who knows. It's obviously difficult going from someone who you trusted 100% and was one of your best friends, to someone you have no relationship with, and was hand picked by someone who wanted you fired and has disrupted the entire athletic department.

We don't have any public record of what Mac's salary is- but he is severely underpaid. I don't think he's likely in the top 25 in the country, which to me is insane. Mac doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has unrealistic wants and needs, but he should be compensated fairly and I don't think he is, compared to his peers. People mention that it wouldn't make sense for him to leave foe all these different reasons, and many are valid. But when he turned down OSU in 2017, he said you don't "mess with happy", well, when you're not as happy anymore, for all the reasons I stated above, you are more willing to hear and listen to other opportunities.

Again, many have shot these things down over the years. I trust MULTIPLE people who have told me a lot of these things and have told them consistently over the years. They'd really have no reason to just make it up, and they'd be in a position to know. I didn't think anything I posted above was a secret, I assumed it was pretty well known. It is on X/Twitter amongst CU fans, and on other board(s).

Bottomline IMO- Hendrickson isn't well liked, by anyone really. Blossom hasn't done much to gain the trust of Mac. IMO, Mac wants a raise and deserves one. I don't think Mac is looking for a way out, at all. He loves Omaha and CU, and wants to be here. But he wants to be compensated fairly and felt appreciated by his bosses. As far as basketball only, I don't know how much sense it makes for him to go elsewhere when he's stated he doesn't want to coach forever. But then again, if everything else behind the scenes is true, and I think a lot of it is, I don't blame him for being open to the possibility.
bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops