Georgetown Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Georgetown Game Thread II

Postby NUgradCUfan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:27 am

Altmanforprez wrote:The biggest concern I have with Mac leaving for Ohio State (should Holtmann be fired) has less to do with his situation at Creighton and everything to do with the fact Doug is back at the Pacers. I know Mac loves Creighton and Omaha, but his kids have graduated and gone their own paths and Columbus to Indy is a quick drive to watch Doug play.

I have zero insider information, but just my thought process. Get a bag to coach for a few years and watch your son play the end of his NBA career is pretty logical and I could see Mac doing that. The good news is we have a lot of good, young options with Creighton connections. We’ve seen in the Big East that losing a star coach isn’t a death sentence to the bottom of the league.

Regardless, I’m going to enjoy this season and hope for another run in the tourney and worry about off-season speculation once the final buzzer sounds. (Just don’t pull a Cooley if you leave, Mac)

Thought about that too, but Doug's contract expires on July 1, 2024. You have no idea where you'll end up in the NBA as a free agent.
NUgradCUfan

Postby Trifecta » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:32 am

Altmanforprez wrote:The biggest concern I have with Mac leaving for Ohio State (should Holtmann be fired) has less to do with his situation at Creighton and everything to do with the fact Doug is back at the Pacers. I know Mac loves Creighton and Omaha, but his kids have graduated and gone their own paths and Columbus to Indy is a quick drive to watch Doug play.

I have zero insider information, but just my thought process. Get a bag to coach for a few years and watch your son play the end of his NBA career is pretty logical and I could see Mac doing that. The good news is we have a lot of good, young options with Creighton connections. We’ve seen in the Big East that losing a star coach isn’t a death sentence to the bottom of the league.

Regardless, I’m going to enjoy this season and hope for another run in the tourney and worry about off-season speculation once the final buzzer sounds. (Just don’t pull a Cooley if you leave, Mac)

That would be the dumbest reason to make a change and I highly doubt Doug's NBA team would factor into the decision making at all. He's in the point of his career where he's going to be traded from team to team multiple more times. So to base a decision of this magnitude on where his son is playing this month is ridiculous.
Trifecta

Postby #RollJays » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:37 am

You have zero time to watch your son play in person during the college season as D1 coach.
#RollJays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:55 am

RyanHolmgren wrote:@dollarbeernight: These are just unhinged takes. What would you like Mac to do? Play King more to see if it will take him three minutes or four until he fouls out? It’s abundantly clear that our starters – especially our Big 3 plus Ashworth – are miles ahead of the bench. They’re well-conditioned to play heavy minutes.

Mac has clearly shown a willingness to play guys who EARN minutes. Green has found his way into the lineup, for instance. Farabello continues to get minutes. Traudt gets opportunities. King squandered his. Lawson hasn’t earned them. Dotzler isn’t quite there yet. (I do like his upside.)

In the Big East, we can’t just bring in a bunch of bench guys for feel-good minutes so their future seems brighter to you. Those few minutes often end in an 8-0 run against us, which is more than enough to lose games.

Who knows how many more years Mac has in him at CU, but he’s absolutely not leaving because of bench guys who can’t crack the lineup. We’ll likely have roster turnover this offseason, as will every Division I program in this portal era. Mac is on the cusp of being the winningest coach in school history. He’s led us to a Big East regular season title (and a likely 2 seed in 2020), a Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. The only quest I have is how many dollar beer night ales did you consume to come to the conclusion that Mac isn’t good enough for the CU coaching job?

Completely agree - the bench will have little to nothing to do with whether or not Mac decides to leave at some point in the future, and certainly wouldn't be a factor this year. Given the class that is coming in, and the people who might develop and who we can recruit through the portal, I don't see him leaving yet either.

Our starter minutes begin with the fact that we have 3 guys who are legitimate 1st/2nd team BE players and if those guys aren't playing there'd better be a really, really good reason for why.

Last night we may have yanked the starters a bit earlier, but I wouldn't want to see them getting 20-25 minutes even in a game like that as it was still an easy night for them, and they got the work in that they needed to stay sharp and not get a bit dull
Chicagojayfan

Postby ictjay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:59 am

dollarbeernight wrote:
Jaysfan100 wrote:
dollarbeernight wrote:I have been going to games for 50 years and was there tonight. The game was well in hand in the second half. This head coaching job has always been better than its inhabitant (aside from horrible AD's who had other agendas --might have that now. IDK?) EITHER GREG IS LEAVING OR HIS BENCH IS LEAVING AT THE END OF THIS SEASON. I don't claim to know which it will be but it is obvious at this point.

Where are you hearing anyyyyyy of this? Yes I wouldn’t be shocked if Lawson and king are gone next season. But there is no proof that issac, Jasen, or Dotzler won’t be back. Heck there is rumors from helmzy that one of the big 3 will be back next year same with ash and miller. Bring in another transfer or 2 and you have another contender. Mac isn’t leaving

I live in the real world based upon what I see.

In the real world please go away. Posters, don't ask him stupid questions.
ictjay

Postby SendDustyIn » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:05 am

DC_JAY wrote:I believe that only Quad 1 and Quad 2 games remain on the regular season schedule.

God, I remember the days when losing to Evansville on a random Tuesday night in February would nuke our at large chances and severely derail an otherwise good season. Like what happened to Indiana State last night.

Thank God for the Big East.
SendDustyIn

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:07 am

Doug is 32 and a free agent after this season. His playing career and playing time going forward is completely unpredictable.

I think if Mac leaves it’s for the golf course. He’s already part way there, if you think for a moment why he’d continually schedule games in Vegas in December. It’s not because a neutral site game is all that appealing.
HandDownManDown

Postby ictjay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:12 am

Worrywarts. Mac has his best recruited class ever coming in. Don't think he is in the mood to get his brains beat in for who knows how long in the Big Ten. Ain't happening. Doug could very well not get picked up next year and retire.
ictjay

Postby #RollJays » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:18 am

ictjay wrote:Worrywarts. Mac has his best recruited class ever coming in. Don't think he is in the mood to get his brains beat in for who knows how long in the Big Ten. Ain't happening. Doug could very well not get picked up next year and retire.

Best class ever with the playing time & NIL available to grab 2 elite transfers this offseason.
#RollJays

Postby JayPak » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:28 am

drbluejay wrote:Super night for Baylor getting CU's first triple double in 39 years but Trey wins my standout player of the game award.
Baylor wins the game ball as he is the do it all guy that doesn't come along very often.

The standout player doesn’t get the game ball?
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops