Coach Mac

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Mac

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:34 pm

If Creighton doesn’t pay to keep him or give him the resources he requests then they deserve whatever comes next. You have a top 10 coach and recruiter in the country, don’t fuck it up
BenningtonBluejay

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:36 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
Helmzy wrote:Ohio St isn’t the option to worry about right now

Maybe not. But there's more than enough smoke to talk about it. Whether its OSU or somewhere else, there is absolutely a chance Mac isn't here next year. The behind the scenes stuff is real, and they should be making sure he gets what he wants.

Some fans have been in denial about this for a couple years now. Always has been real, and it seems to be at its peak right now. Not a guarantee he's gone, but I think this is as serious as it's been.

For those of us that aren’t well versed being the scenes, Expand on this. What issues are there? What is he not getting that he wants?
BenningtonBluejay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:38 pm

SeattleJay wrote:“You guys got a helluva coach. I hope you appreciate him.” Ed Cooley

At first, I took this at face value but now hearing about the rumor mill, it makes me wonder if something is going on.

It would be a really tough day if we lost Coach Mac. I sure hope we get it figured out.

FWIW, someone on the Hoyatalk board said Cooley said exactly the same things about English and Holloway

"He said the same exact thing about Kim English and Shaheen Holloway. What he said about Holloway was almost word for word that quote. It's a standard line."

Anything can happen but these are my guesses:

- Cooley wasn't hinting at anything other than saying nice things about a coach he respects
- Teams are going to show interest in Mac and he (or at least his agent) will talk to them - he's probably relatively underpaid still
- He has a very good program here, and maybe one that can be great in this year and in the next few
- While McAndrew isn't coming for the relationship to his father, I'd have to guess that Mac's style of play was a huge factor
- University officials should appreciate what a special situation they have right now. My guess is that they are the only ones that can screw this up
Chicagojayfan

Postby slaw » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:48 pm

"My family and I have called Omaha home the last 12 years," said McDermott. "During that time, we have been fortunate to have created many wonderful memories and countless lifelong friendships. My long tenure at Creighton is a result of the hard work of the young men I have been blessed to coach, and the dedicated assistant coaches and staff that have worked by my side during that time. I appreciate the support of Father Hendrickson, Marcus Blossom and the rest of the administrative team at Creighton. I look forward to working with them to create the best possible experience for our student-athletes, both on and off the playing floor. While I am proud of the accomplishments of the past, I couldn't be more excited to continue the upward trajectory of our program, in front of the absolute best fans in the country."

https://gocreighton.com/news/2022/3/24/ ... rmott.aspx

Just two short years ago...doesn't it take two to agree on a contract extension?
slaw

Postby omajay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:56 pm

I would imagine the prospect of having a university president like Ted Carter (now at OSU) would be pretty attractive. He clearly likes and appreciates athletics and winning. I would guess there is a trust issue with Father Hendricksen.
omajay

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:04 pm

omajay wrote:I would imagine the prospect of having a university president like Ted Carter (now at OSU) would be pretty attractive. He clearly likes and appreciates athletics and winning. I would guess there is a trust issue with Father Hendricksen.

Their new AD is garbage
BenningtonBluejay

Postby HoopsFan01 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:07 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
- Teams are going to show interest in Mac and he (or at least his agent) will talk to them - he's probably relatively underpaid still

What does Mac currently make a year?
HoopsFan01

Postby Realhoops » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:12 pm

I may be delusional. I just can't wrap my ahead imagining someone like Mac wanting to essentially start over from scratch in a new place at this point in his career. I'm under no delusion that everything is sunshine and rainbows and unicorns between him and Fr. and Blossom -- just can't see wanting to uproot and start again with a new school. I remember what his situation looked like when he came here from Iowa State, so he absolutely has experience with doing this when things do not work out at all.

Could I see him decide there is too much friction and hassle and it's time to just walk away completely? Sure.
Could I see him deciding to walk away and try to rebuild at a school like Ohio State? Nope.

(Disclaimer -- as far as I can tell, both Nembhard and Kaluma were in pretty ideal situations here and decided to go start over in less favorable situations. So what do I know?)
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:22 pm

HoopsFan01 wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:

What does Mac currently make a year?

number I saw was $2,143,312

While that goes a long ways in Omaha, Cooley was reportedly closer to 6M a year

https://frontofficesports.com/highest-p ... l-coaches/

top 25 is at 3.5M
Chicagojayfan

Postby omajay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:23 pm

BenningtonBluejay wrote:
omajay wrote:I would imagine the prospect of having a university president like Ted Carter (now at OSU) would be pretty attractive. He clearly likes and appreciates athletics and winning. I would guess there is a trust issue with Father Hendricksen.

Their new AD is garbage

Interestingly, the outgoing AD (Gene Smith) is the one who fired Holtman.
omajay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops