Coach Mac

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Mac

Postby GoatGibbs » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:45 pm

Does anyone recall any other candidates for the job in 2010 when Altman left? I'm curious what direction the university would have supposedly gone.
GoatGibbs

Postby jaysbanker » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:47 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:Does anyone recall any other candidates for the job in 2010 when Altman left? I'm curious what direction the university would have supposedly gone.

I had always heard Bo Ryan was pretty high up there.
jaysbanker

Postby Here'sToMe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm

I'm sure most of it was fan theorizing, but Kevin McKenna was at least thrown out there given his history with the University and (relative) success at Indiana State. That said, the position was filled relatively quickly (like, within a week IIRC) so I'd absolutely believe Ras went out and got the candidate at the top of his list.
Here'sToMe

Postby Jays26 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:50 pm

mannygakou wrote:
DC_JAY wrote:Shatel has a very nice story on the behind-the-scenes wrangling that occurred over the past two weeks. According to him, Hendrickson and Blossom heard from a number of donors, who expressed worry. The UConn game seems to have been the decisive moment, setting off negotiations that led to the new contract.

Here's a leaked email that prompted Hendrickson/Blossom to action:

I am writing as a concerned CU alumnus and longtime season ticket holder. Coach McDermott is the reason I decided to stop buying single game tickets and become a season ticket holder years ago. As a husband and father, I am proud of our program and the values it represents. CU did not live up to those ideals in 2021 with how Coach McDermott was treated in the wake of his poor choice of words - the "plantation" comment. That continues to this day. I and many others have seen an insufficient effort by Father Hendrickson and AD Blossom towards rebuilding and/or maintaining that relationship. This is due in no small part to the fact that Coach McDermott deserves a significant raise in compensation for his performance.

I speak for many in saying this, and be sure that Father Hendrickson and AD Blossom know it: Fix it or we're gone.

An apology and/or public affirmation of Coach McDermott's impeccable, career-long character and commitment to excellence, without which CU would never be where it is today, and most of all - PAY HIM. Now. He deserves an offer for a contact paying least $3 million per year or more, and everyone knows it.
If this does not happen and Coach McDermott leaves, you can count my money and support for Creighton out. Your move, Father Hendrickson.

Thank you.

LOL!!!
Jays26

Postby Jays26 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:53 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:Does anyone recall any other candidates for the job in 2010 when Altman left? I'm curious what direction the university would have supposedly gone.

I may be all wet on this, but wasn't Rick Majerus name thrown out there?
Jays26

Postby mannygakou » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:59 pm

Here'sToMe wrote:I'm sure most of it was fan theorizing, but Kevin McKenna was at least thrown out there given his history with the University and (relative) success at Indiana State. That said, the position was filled relatively quickly (like, within a week IIRC) so I'd absolutely believe Ras went out and got the candidate at the top of his list.

The timing was even quicker...reports of Altman leaving and Mac hiring was less than a 72 hour window.
mannygakou

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:03 pm

Ras was ready and had Mac in the wings ready to go (if memory serves)
SeattleJay

Postby Syajeulb » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:09 pm

Jays26 wrote:

I may be all wet on this, but wasn't Rick Majerus name thrown out there?

Scott Sutton was another name speculated about during the few days it took for Ras to lock in Mac.
Syajeulb

Postby CUGrads03 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:20 pm

mannygakou wrote:
DC_JAY wrote:Shatel has a very nice story on the behind-the-scenes wrangling that occurred over the past two weeks. According to him, Hendrickson and Blossom heard from a number of donors, who expressed worry. The UConn game seems to have been the decisive moment, setting off negotiations that led to the new contract.

I am writing as a concerned CU alumnus and longtime season ticket holder. Coach McDermott is the reason I decided to stop buying single game tickets and become a season ticket holder years ago. As a husband and father, I am proud of our program and the values it represents. CU did not live up to those ideals in 2021 with how Coach McDermott was treated in the wake of his poor choice of words - the "plantation" comment. That continues to this day. I and many others have seen an insufficient effort by Father Hendrickson and AD Blossom towards rebuilding and/or maintaining that relationship. This is due in no small part to the fact that Coach McDermott deserves a significant raise in compensation for his performance.

I speak for many in saying this, and be sure that Father Hendrickson and AD Blossom know it: Fix it or we're gone.

An apology and/or public affirmation of Coach McDermott's impeccable, career-long character and commitment to excellence, without which CU would never be where it is today, and most of all - PAY HIM. Now. He deserves an offer for a contact paying least $3 million per year or more, and everyone knows it.
If this does not happen and Coach McDermott leaves, you can count my money and support for Creighton out. Your move, Father Hendrickson.

Thank you.

Internet winner
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:38 pm

mannygakou wrote:

Thank you.

Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops