Coach Mac

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Mac

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:38 pm

The Altman episode was interesting at other levels too.

DeVries was going with him to Oregon. The decision was made. It wasn’t “this might happen.” They committed.

And then, like Altman in Arkansas - well, maybe not EXACTLY like that - DeVries changed his mind and stuck around at Creighton. Now doing good things at Drake. I still think he’s the next coach at Creighton, even if it’s now farther down the road.

In the multiverse, I wonder how the world of college basketball is different if DeVries goes to Eugene? Marvel should make a movie about that.
vivid_dude

Postby mannygakou » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:02 pm

vivid_dude wrote:The Altman episode was interesting at other levels too.

DeVries was going with him to Oregon. The decision was made. It wasn’t “this might happen.” They committed.

And then, like Altman in Arkansas - well, maybe not EXACTLY like that - DeVries changed his mind and stuck around at Creighton. Now doing good things at Drake. I still think he’s the next coach at Creighton, even if it’s now farther down the road.

In the multiverse, I wonder how the world of college basketball is different if DeVries goes to Eugene? Marvel should make a movie about that.

I had forgotten about D-Rock leaving with Altman. It's a shame, to Creighton's benefit, that it took him as long as it did to become a head coach. Such a great guy and terrific coach.
mannygakou

Postby mel ott » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:19 pm

mannygakou wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:The Altman episode was interesting at other levels too.

I had forgotten about D-Rock leaving with Altman. It's a shame, to Creighton's benefit, that it took him as long as it did to become a head coach. Such a great guy and terrific coach.

Vivid is wrong. Manny, you are correct- Drake had two opportunities to hire D-Rock but went the wrong direction twice.
mel ott

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:43 pm

What am I wrong about?

Very interested in Mel’s response, since he said I’m wrong and Manny is correct - when Manny and I are saying the same thing. This should be good.
vivid_dude

Postby go_jays » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:28 pm

Here'sToMe wrote:I'm sure most of it was fan theorizing, but Kevin McKenna was at least thrown out there given his history with the University and (relative) success at Indiana State. That said, the position was filled relatively quickly (like, within a week IIRC) so I'd absolutely believe Ras went out and got the candidate at the top of his list.

I'm sure Mac was at the top of Ras' list (that every AD keeps in his locked desk drawer) even when when Dana was making the move to Arkansas (that obviously didn't happen). I don't know if Ras actually talked to Mac at the time, since he had just finished his first year at Iowa State. But he liked Mac from the get go. So I think it's possible. Someone on this board would probably know for sure.
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:35 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Ras was ready and had Mac in the wings ready to go (if memory serves)

Mac was high on Ras' radar and short list even when he was at Northern Iowa.
go_jays

Postby drbluejay » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:24 am

It took me about 2 games of watching and hearing Mac up close at Wayne State to realize Mac was a great coach. It has been a dream come true that he ended up at Creighton. CU has had lots of very good coach's over the years but Mac stands above them all.
drbluejay

Postby Gmorrowfan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:55 am

Mac is the best. But Willis was 6'10 I think; Mac is around 6'8 maybe.
Gmorrowfan

Postby vivid_dude » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:50 pm

vivid_dude wrote:What am I wrong about?

Very interested in Mel’s response, since he said I’m wrong and Manny is correct - when Manny and I are saying the same thing. This should be good.

Mel, standing by to learn what I was wrong about. Take your time. I wasn’t wrong, so I’d love to hear why you thought I was.
vivid_dude

Postby TrueBlueJay » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:56 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:What am I wrong about?

Mel, standing by to learn what I was wrong about. Take your time. I wasn’t wrong, so I’d love to hear why you thought I was.

I’ve got a long list of things you are wrong about. Want me to DM it to you?
TrueBlueJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops