Coach Mac

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Mac

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:52 pm

It’ll largely depend on who’s paying what for NIL and what your conference will look like in 5-10 years when everything is shaking out. That will have a lot more to do with who’s considered what when a job opens.

Look at Wichita. You could easily say that was a top 25 program for a 10 year period and when Marshall got canned no one came running. It’s because it’s not a top 25 national program under its circumstances and now those circumstances have manifested themselves.

JMO but we are closer to that than one might think. Not nearly as close as they are/were but it still has to be concerning.
HandDownManDown

Postby RyanHolmgren » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:54 pm

Different definitions of “becoming a top 15-top 25 program over the past decade.”

I think the “which job would a coach take?” is an interesting question. To your point, most would probably take the money. Is that wise? Many Power 5 schools have unreasonable expectations while playing second fiddle to football. Tough spot to be in. NIL opens a can of worms as well, but at Creighton we don’t have 60+ football players to worry about paying on top of basketball. Of course we don’t get the same type of TV money either.

Either way, VERY pleased with our reputation and stature as a program. Insane trajectory.
RyanHolmgren

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:04 pm

Don’t get me wrong, we are as strong as we’ve ever been and that goes for the University itself as well. And I’m thrilled with it.

But really there’s not a Power 5 anymore, or a Power 6. There are two winning conferences, three that are currently still ok but are in a stasis to see how large the gap grows, and one conference that’s been straight up killed off.

We are a strong swimmer (and getting stronger) but I would rather be in a lifeboat.
HandDownManDown

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:18 pm

I would volunteer that I think we are the 3rd best Catholic basketball program over the last 10 years and rising.

I think you have to make Villanova 1 and Gonzaga 2.

I think we have passed X but I might not agree if I lived in Cincy. St. Mary’s and MU might be in the mix but I think we are ahead of PC, ND and Seton Hall. Did I miss anyone?
SeattleJay

Postby #RollJays » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:51 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:Don’t get me wrong, we are as strong as we’ve ever been and that goes for the University itself as well. And I’m thrilled with it.

But really there’s not a Power 5 anymore, or a Power 6. There are two winning conferences, three that are currently still ok but are in a stasis to see how large the gap grows, and one conference that’s been straight up killed off.

We are a strong swimmer (and getting stronger) but I would rather be in a lifeboat.

I don’t see the gap getting as big in basketball as it is in football but understand your point. Also, I was really just referencing us going from the mvc to a power conference.
#RollJays

Postby omajay » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am

Tom Shatel wrote a very informative column last week in the OWH about the negotiations involving Mac's new contract. He discussed the concerns expressed by boosters and donors, their pressure on Father and Marcus, the timing of the negotiations, and how Mac is the main fundraiser for NIL. Shatel also pointed out risks previous CU presidents took with athletics including building the soccer stadium, moving from the Civic to the CHI Center, and moving to the Big East. It was a good article. I definitely got the impression boosters and donors had a role in pushing along the new contract.
omajay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:12 am

omajay wrote:Tom Shatel wrote a very informative column last week in the OWH about the negotiations involving Mac's new contract. He discussed the concerns expressed by boosters and donors, their pressure on Father and Marcus, the timing of the negotiations, and how Mac is the main fundraiser for NIL. Shatel also pointed out risks previous CU presidents took with athletics including building the soccer stadium, moving from the Civic to the CHI Center, and moving to the Big East. It was a good article. I definitely got the impression boosters and donors had a role in pushing along the new contract.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/creigh ... de65b.html

Thanks for calling this out. I didn't see the article before. I don't check the OWH all of the time, but this one was worth reading. No matter what people think of Shatel's style, he has contacts and I don't doubt that what he wrote was very close to being on target about the situation:

Very happy they all got together and made this happen. Quote from the article:

"Creighton took care of Mac. Sources say the coach got a big salary bump to a place where he is in the upper half of the Big East and in the top 20 among college basketball coaches. Where he belongs.

Sources say Mac still trails Georgetown coach Ed Cooley's reported $6 million figure, and UConn's Danny Hurley ($5.25) but he's in place where he's happy."
Chicagojayfan

Postby TrueBlueJay » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:35 am

So Mac isn’t quite the rich m*therf***er as Cooley still.
TrueBlueJay

Postby JayPak » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:57 pm

Realhoops wrote:As to whether we'd be second choice for coaches if both Creighton and Arkansas opened up, I am not sure it's as cut and dried as you are suggesting. It might depend a whole lot on whether the candidate is interested in being part of a football school, has history with one school or one conference, etc. If you gave a guy like DeVries or Huss a chance at either at the same time, it might not be as clear cut as it would be if you gave Bobby Hurley a choice of either at the same time.

Or Altman!
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Durango Jay » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:23 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:So Mac isn’t quite the rich m*therf***er as Cooley still.

Cost of living in DC is way way higher than Omaha.
Durango Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops